Ghost Airport in the Caribbean

the simple marketing and selling our islands as sea and sand destinations is selling ourselves SHORT!

These leaders like Gonsalves have not been able to bring new and innovative ideas, yet he is there for at least 15 years.

Now what sort of feasibility study went into designing this project at this time? SVG simply doesnt have the means to finance this project and dont know where the revenue is coming from! No wonder why he is up and down looking for reparations money.

bktrini305

yes, but that article is really denigrating. I feel like there is a lot to offer in St. Vincent. They honestly could merge with Grenada and provide more "Up the Islands" tours. Have T&T and JA provide the ships to do it (keep it local and still outsource to potentially cheap manufacturers of course).

Allyuh Island people doesn't know how to think man!

But yea that airport seems to have been too much to take on. I know SVG really does need its own International Airport but was it necessary that it be so expensive and large? The place looks bigger than Piarco.

dedetriniking

Why would they spend all that money and invest sooo much time in building an airport and that have no wuk for it? Nah....there must be some kinda plan.

Article below paints a really gloomy picture. "SVG has no income".

newspaper article said:
In Saint Vincent and the Grenadines the government has been putting fifteen to twenty million dollars every year into a regional airline, LIAT. If such a loss can be made year on year by a tiny airline, just how much can you expect to lose from an international airport? We can look forward to a year on year loss of at least $200 million a year or likely many times that amount.

We will be struggling with a debt burden that the government has lumbered us with, approaching one and a half billion dollars and we will be paying that back for the next 100 years. Add that to the operational losses and ask yourself; what chance do we stand of getting ourselves out of what can now be described as the Gonsalves folly.

We were told that there were many countries who would pay for the airport construction, which turned out for whatever reason to be untrue. We the people have been fooled, our children and their children will be paying for this project long after we are all dead and buried.

Some Vincentian politicians try and equate the building of our airport with the success of Grenada’s airport. Again, they have the beaches and the attractions that we do not have.

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines has no income whatsoever. Little or no industry, a government neglected and a seriously damaged tourist industry. Whatever happens at the Argyle International Airport, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines will never be able to fund it. We are not a Barbados or Saint Lucia, with their pristine white beaches. Our little black beaches are not what the tourists want. We will never attract the large numbers of tourists to even make a small dent in the loss’s that we can expect, year on year from the operation of the airport.
- See more at: Is St Vincent Creating a

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
Me nah waiting for no one....this is just a topic being discuss on my facebook page
You know VP will have a lot to say lol. Here is what he won’t talk about. Right now there are no direct flights from the US to Vincy. Because there is no money in it for the airlines. So why build ah large airport in ah slow economy

antiguad

One of the most amazingly biased articles I've read in a while.

St. Vincent doesn't have attractions? Little to no income? Equating running LIAT, with a myriad of complex regional issues, to running an airport?

The author has an axe to grind.

I don't know about most Caribbean islands, but I know for Antigua that tourists started coming after the US turned over their air base after the end of WW2, which had a runway big enough to accommodate most large passenger aircraft.

Without FIRST putting the infrastructure in place, you won't get mass tourism. It's literally that simple.

Mr_Crafty

St. Vincent doesn't have attractions? Little to no income? Equating running LIAT, with a myriad of complex regional issues, to running an airport?

I don't know about most Caribbean islands, but I know for Antigua that tourists started coming after the US turned over their air base after the end of WW2, which had a runway big enough to accommodate most large passenger aircraft.

Without FIRST putting the infrastructure in place, you won't get mass tourism. It's literally that simple.
Boss yuh ha time wid ppl on imix lol, dis shud be common sense

Oneshot

where de crix

St. Vincent doesnt need mass tourism, the islands are already a mecca for high net worth visitors.

antiguad

St. Vincent doesnt need mass tourism, the islands are already a mecca for high net worth visitors.
There are a few people who do directly benefit from the high net worth visitors from islands like Mustique.

The vast majority of the people of St. Vincent see very little of this benefit.

Just like in Antigua there is a five star resort on a small offshore island where rates start at $1000 per night and it's rumoured you need at least $5 mil to even consider buying a piece of land there.

The vast majority of Antiguans will tell you that they receive absolutely no benefit from the small number of people who visit.

Likewise in St. Vincent, they would seriously need to ramp up numbers of people visiting to see a major increase in tourist related revenue.

St Vincent focusing on finance makes no sense as that sector is already saturated by other islands like Bahamas, cayman, Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago just to name a few