Is calling someone FAT derogatory

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
I find it funny when people try to insult me by calling me fat. That's not an insult, its stating the obvious. Like trying to insult me by calling me a female.

Lol

dollbabi

Earth Angel
I think it depends on the context, the location and the "race" of the woman...calling a white woman ANYWHERE on the planet fat apparently is derogatory...whether she's fat or not.

In parts of the Caribbean especially with a "ph" phat it's a compliment.

If somebody is just malicious and know someone is having weight issues-wanting to be somewhat smaller, if the malicious person wants to be mean, they can simply call the person fat and the word fat in that context and tone can be interpreted as derogatory.
One exception is Chad. There, it is a compliment for any woman...literally.

Someone i know lived there (yes, she is fat and white), and being fat was considered better than being slim. In fact, she had gotten in an argument with someone and was hurt by it. This guy was like "It's ok...you're fatter than her anyway." :kicks

She said it took her a second...and then was like "yea, you're right." LOL

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Chad

Dining etiquette in Chad is similar to the rules of dining etiquette in other North Africa and Arab countries. Please see Egypt dining etiquette and Sudan dining etiquette for information about general North African and Arab dining etiquette. The dining etiquette information below presents Chadian variations on general North African and Arab dining etiquette.

Chadian Food and Mealtimes. Boule - pourage. Tan kul in the south (sauce served over fish or meat and beans) or nashif in the north (usually meat plus a spicy tomato sauce).

Dining etiquette in a Chadian home. Do not intentionally come at mealtime. Honored guests may receive gifts.

Dining etiquette for seating. Many meals are taken seated on a mat on the floor. Men and women eat separately. Your feet should not point toward other guests or the food. Tuck your feet.

Dining etiquette for using your hands. Eat with your right hand.

Dining etiquette for when to begin eating. Begin eating only after the host indicates that it is okay.

Dining etiquette taboos. Giving eggs to children will turn them into thieves in adulthood. Don't give pregnant women too much food so that they do not deliver fat babies.

Dining etiquette compliments. It is a compliment to call someone fat.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Chad

Dining etiquette in Chad is similar to the rules of dining etiquette in other North Africa and Arab countries. Please see Egypt dining etiquette and Sudan dining etiquette for information about general North African and Arab dining etiquette. The dining etiquette information below presents Chadian variations on general North African and Arab dining etiquette.

Chadian Food and Mealtimes. Boule - pourage. Tan kul in the south (sauce served over fish or meat and beans) or nashif in the north (usually meat plus a spicy tomato sauce).

Dining etiquette in a Chadian home. Do not intentionally come at mealtime. Honored guests may receive gifts.

Dining etiquette for seating. Many meals are taken seated on a mat on the floor. Men and women eat separately. Your feet should not point toward other guests or the food. Tuck your feet.

Dining etiquette for using your hands. Eat with your right hand.

Dining etiquette for when to begin eating. Begin eating only after the host indicates that it is okay.

Dining etiquette taboos. Giving eggs to children will turn them into thieves in adulthood. Don't give pregnant women too much food so that they do not deliver fat babies.

Dining etiquette compliments. It is a compliment to call someone fat.
As a lefty.....:(

Moi

well, what can i say
remember back home when we used to call ppl fat boy and bolo...they still do tbh

SKBai1991

One exception is Chad. There, it is a compliment for any woman...literally.

Someone i know lived there (yes, she is fat and white), and being fat was considered better than being slim. In fact, she had gotten in an argument with someone and was hurt by it. This guy was like "It's ok...you're fatter than her anyway." :kicks

She said it took her a second...and then was like "yea, you're right." LOL
lmao

Cheetara83

The Strong One
It's all about how you say it and to who you say it to so it's yes and no. As for the word fluffy dat dey around long time I think Miss Kitty a hefty Jamaican celebrity dem coin the phrase for, mi like her it's like her personality bigger than her body.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
I said Adele would have been just another fat chick had she not have broken up with her boyfriend and started writing, singing and etc.

To me it was comparable to saying Jordan would have been just another black guy without the jump shot.
chasing pavements was a big hit of hers prior to the 21 album. she had a full album before 21 and was popular before the breakup

oh please she sang before that...

she may not have had the inspiration to write the lyrics she did but a breakup didnt make her career

rude!

most times i just say big, kinda big
exactly!

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
since being fat in our society isn't something that's highly desired, most ppl would prob look at it as derogatory. at the same time, if you're fat then you're fat.

the way i see it is that if we know that being fat is largely looked down upon (in the US), why go out of your way to tell someone that he/she is fat? the person knows this. they see themselves the mirror everyday.

TOLOMB

Red Man
since being fat in our society isn't something that's highly desired, most ppl would prob look at it as derogatory. at the same time, if you're fat then you're fat.

the way i see it is that if we know that being fat is largely looked down upon (in the US), why go out of your way to tell someone that he/she is fat? the person knows this. they see themselves the mirror everyday.
Because they raising my health insurance costs, causing me discomfort in the air and causing claustrophobia all around.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
If You Are Fat Stop Asking Others Not To Acknowledge It!
<iframe width="650" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AxQKOhlcipM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dollbabi

Earth Angel
That Sotomayor guy is disgusting. It's as though he cannot discuss women without derogatory language. Doesn't he have a daughter? Shame.

femmeayitienne

***//\\***
That Sotomayor guy is disgusting. It's as though he cannot discuss women without derogatory language. Doesn't he have a daughter? Shame.
That is a real pet peeve of mine. I have stopped being friends with a couple guys for this reason.

I would ask them, why is she a b**ch or a heaux and they could not answer the question.

So that got me thinking, is this how they refer to me to their friends -- so I just disassociated myself from them.

~Urbane~

That Soto mayor guy is disgusting. It's as though he cannot discuss women without derogatory language. Doesn't he have a daughter? Shame.

He actually is , plus he tends to be a HUGE hypocrite who contradicts himself all the time. Plus I remember him admitting to finding Yvette Bova attractive , so he shouldn't be judging anyone..lol

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
i mean this is a society where "nobody loses"... so in a race they wanna give everybody a prize and emphasise that everybody wins.. so when people actually lose or dont get recognition they fall apart... so it shouldnt be suprising that some people dont want to be labeled as fat... that's not seen as desirable.. and it can be used as an insult by others..