Lauren Hill headed to PRISON

bhalistix

It is I
NEWARK, N.J. — Grammy-winning singer Lauryn Hill stood in federal court Monday and compared her experience in the music business to the slavery her ancestors endured before a judge sentenced her to three months in prison for failing to pay about $1 million in taxes over the past decade.

"I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them," Hill said before U.S. Magistrate Madeline Cox Arleo. "I had an economic system imposed on me."

Hill, who started singing with the Fugees as a teenager in the 1990s before releasing her multiplatinum 1998 album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill," pleaded guilty last year to failing to pay taxes on more than $1.8 million earned from 2005 to 2007. Monday's sentencing also took into account unpaid state and federal taxes in 2008 and 2009 that brought the total earnings to about $2.3 million.

Despite having paid more than $900,000 in the past several days, Hill still owes interest and penalties, the U.S. attorney's office said.

In a forceful but controlled statement to the judge punctuated by occasional raps with her first on the podium, Hill described how she failed to pay taxes during a period when she'd dropped out of the music business to protect herself and her children, who now number six.

Read More.....

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
"I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them," Hill said before U.S. Magistrate Madeline Cox Arleo. "I had an economic system imposed on me."

So when she was a 16 year old in her first job at McDonald's and she paid her payroll tax on her wages earned, she wasnt a child of a former slaves being oppressed by an oppressive system?

GTFOH.....totally lose off of her with this nonsense. She chose not to pay, get caught and now paying the piper. That's it.

Buhbayduss

change is up to us...
I dont get why it is so hard for these people to pay taxes... I guess they only learn when they are confined to a cell...

antiguad

I'm pretty sure Lauryn went off the deep end a few years ago.

And the whole "blame the system" thing is BS. It's the same system that allowed her to earn MILLIONS of dollars in the first place, and I don't remember her ever complaining about the "system" making her too much money?

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
Lots of people are ok with the natural look. If she doesn't wanna shave her choice.
its called running a joke.

We are all free to do what we will, same way we are all free not to like it either.

EloquenceInc

Get your passport & come !
This article breaks my heart...i saw the headlines before but it still break my heart again.

Why does it seem super-talent drives people over the edge?

And that other thing...good d.

I'm so sorry Lauryn Hill's luck in life didn't help her escape whatever made her drop her career to put herself through all this.

I keep wishing she would come back. :( I laugh at people when the take celebs' lives personally but I make an exception for Lauryn...was rooting for her to PLEASE come back!

bhalistix

It is I
This article breaks my heart...i saw the headlines before but it still break my heart again.

Why does it seem super-talent drives people over the edge?

And that other thing...good d.

I'm so sorry Lauryn Hill's luck in life didn't help her escape whatever made her drop her career to put herself through all this.

I keep wishing she would come back. :( I laugh at people when the take celebs' lives personally but I make an exception for Lauryn...was rooting for her to PLEASE come back!
hahahahahahah now it breaks your heart, do you hold that same sentiment when it is a black professional athlete.