LinkedIn

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
Are you on LinkedIn? If so, is your profile complete? Has LinkedIn ever helped you with networking, landing a job, etc?

My profile isn't complete so I need to do that at some point. Not sure if I want to put my whole resume on there though...

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
I have a complete profile. I won't say it's helped me with career goals, but it does keep me connected with former employers/co-workers. From time to time I reach out to people who might be interested in working here i.e. .NET developers (hint if anyone is interested hit me up).

I'm trying to actually get my mother to be more interactive with hers because since she has so many credentials, and she wants to go back into teaching (becoming a professor). She was turning down classmates that were commenting on her project management skills and how much help she's been in the past, and I was like no you want that.

I have it a couple of years now, it did not really open any doors for me yet, but its nice to be connected to professional people.

But it all depends on how much time you spend on there and how effectively you use the platform.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
i messaged ppl that are professionals in a field that i may be interested in at some point but didn't hear back. i found that using the alumni network system from my college was helpful. i emailed a few ppl and asked if i could conduct informational interviews. they responded fairly quickly and took time out for me to conduct the interviews.

once i update my LinkedIn profile, i'll reach out to some ppl again

EloquenceInc

Get your passport & come !
Are you on LinkedIn? If so, is your profile complete? Has LinkedIn ever helped you with networking, landing a job, etc?

My profile isn't complete so I need to do that at some point. Not sure if I want to put my whole resume on there though...
It has helped me get interviews and with networking yes. But I find the downside to it is if people are on there who are at your current place of employment or just people you know and don't want them knowing you are looking for something new, you can't just announce you are looking for a new job, so private messages to link or calling someone if their number is on there work out better.

It works out also as a nice place to stick people who want to keep in touch but don't belong in your outside of work world on facebook because you're just not THAT close.

Professional jobs also expect you to have one, and that it's updated, and they want to see somebody recommend you on there from your past employment, the more the better.

Participating in groups of interest to your career field is a way to get your name noticed as well, provided you are talking sense and not nonsense.

EloquenceInc

Get your passport & come !
Oh, and next thing, the really aggressive type of workplaces expect that from you are told who your interviewer is, you are getting on the internet to scope out not just the company, but the PERSON you are interviewing with, and the first stop is that person's LinkedIn profile if they don't have it set to private.

Due diligence and all that.