The Euro: Cyprus in Crisis

OverLord Strum

If Cyprus had a currency that more accurately reflected the strength of its economy...it would be in a much better position.

Therein lies the fundamental problem with the Euro...it is simply valued too high to represent some economies.

Oneshot

where de crix
that could be managed with weaker sovereign states, and internal transfers, it is coming. Spain already got its first phase of the bailout (internal transfer), Italy, Greece have had governments step but the EU central forces.

And credit spreads have become more reflective of the economies and debt levels. So investors wont be as passive in investing.

Dont get me wrong I believe the Euro is a rushed idea, but when you speak to average people they see Euro a force for good, and they link the survival Euro to the EU.

Seawall

Well, the euro still higher than the almighty dollar. The US crying about China keeping their currency low when they doing the same thing. And then there's the military might propping up the dollar.

OverLord Strum

The Euro has destroyed so many countries.

How can everybody use one currency successfully when some eurozone economies WILDLY differ in output? Europe IS NOT A COMMON MARKET. :headbang
There is no political unity, the Euro just unify banks. The Russians won't be happy at all about this deal. Since they are the over a 100K depositors.
Oneshot, the Euro is doomed...
*farts*

Even though it was fear mongering and right wing demagoguery that moved the vote...my idea still stands

Oneshot

where de crix
*farts*

Even though it was fear mongering and right wing demagoguery that moved the vote...my idea still stands
looking at the demographic breakdown, the old, non university education people voted to leave, the young, educated wanted to stay.

The UK merely escalated their irrelevance, and will cause the EU to have more reforms, and to be have more direct democracy. Will interestingly will do one thing. Strengthen the European identity. Once people start investing their time and energies in voting for ideals that span the entire EU, the nation-state will weaken.

For example, France is next for election right, if LePen that she wants to party with other right wing parties within the EU, to bring about a "Europe for Europeans". People will not care if the French football team is two thirds black/muslim/arab.

The UK is now going to do what? Negotiate a bunch free trade agreements they had in the EU? Negotiate for freedom of movement of labour? Which they had before.

The Brexit vote, had more to do with local politics than the EU. You said it best, fear mongering.

Right now you ahve Trumpsters declaring, the US should leave the UN.