99-Year-Old Man Works For Minimum Wage…For Over 30 Years

Oneshot

where de crix
99-Year-Old Man Works For Minimum Wage…For Over 30 Years

When Newton Murray — everyone calls him Mr. Newton — moved from his native Trinidad to Tampa, Florida, he went to Harry H. Bell & Sons cold storage facility and applied for a job as a janitor. He got the job, and began sweeping and cleaning 90,000 square feet of enclosed warehouse space, plus parking lots and loading docks, for minimum wage. That was 33 years ago. Since then, the now 99-year-old man has never arrived for work late, never left work early, never said no, and never asked for – or received – a raise. - See more at: 99-Year-Old Man Works For Minimum Wage…For Over 30 Years

LIONESS onda RISE

Every detail of it is

First.. Working for 33 years without asking or recieving a raise
Being able to keep that job after being deemed a hazard, he should have been promoted or reassigned to lighter work
They never promoted him so he could sit and chill
The fact he decided to spend his life sweeping floors, after retirement..when HE DIDN'T HAVE TO!

What's nice about it?

LIONESS onda RISE

Still the story doesnt say much and leaves out alot of details probably to induce opinions.. For example minimum wage hasnt stayed stagnant over time.

http://www.floridajobs.org/minimumwage/FloridaMinimumWageHistory2000-2013.pdf

Interesting story nonetheless...
Minimum wage doesn't have to be stagnant for it to be suckish!! And to do it 33years...when u don't need to?

What about cost of living raises? I mean, the man work 33 of his golden years for less than 8 fckn bucks an hour? Pushing ah broom cross 90,000 sq feet?

Lordy!!

Oneshot

where de crix
Every detail of it is

First.. Working for 33 years without asking or recieving a raise
Being able to keep that job after being deemed a hazard, he should have been promoted or reassigned to lighter work
They never promoted him so he could sit and chill
The fact he decided to spend his life sweeping floors, after retirement..when HE DIDN'T HAVE TO!

What's nice about it?
but he was happy

LIONESS onda RISE

but he was happy
Was he?

"Boss, I come with the property?"

U know, maybe is happy. Idk! It's true that a body in motion or ppl working later allows them to live longer. Idk if its true, but I can't say it's not. If that was my grand poppo I woulda been pisssssssed!!!!

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
my grandmother is retired but every time i turn around she visiting somebody in teh hosipice or working in teh food pantry.. i'm like why are you doing so much stuff.. but i guess at that age, they like the hustle and bustle of being active..

Yankee Doodle

Weakness fuh Sweetness
Activity and sense of purpose sometimes is enough to keep some of the elderly going. If he liked what he was doing, had a routine and kept active that may be worth more to him than any salary can give.

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
i know he's 100 and comes from a different time but even ppl in his time wanted more.

I not saying he crazy for not wanting to be the next bill gates but damn! 33 years and it seems you were content with that ? It's like he decided what was his place and decided to stay there.
Vacation?
Was that money paying a grandchild tuition?
Was this a parttime job? that i could understand more.

so he came to the us at 67 thereabouts after working for 40yrs and went back for another 33? talmabout they NEEEEED him when noone ever asked him anything really?

LIONESS onda RISE

Yep ... AA's would have gone on welfare saying slavery days are over an we doh wuk for minimum wage
Nah, most likely would have gotten another job or promotion.. Certainly would have demanded raise in salary. Most of us would not have been complacent and accepted whatever!!

Oneshot

where de crix
i know he's 100 and comes from a different time but even ppl in his time wanted more.

I not saying he crazy for not wanting to be the next bill gates but damn! 33 years and it seems you were content with that ? It's like he decided what was his place and decided to stay there.
Vacation?
Was that money paying a grandchild tuition?
Was this a parttime job? that i could understand more.

so he came to the us at 67 thereabouts after working for 40yrs and went back for another 33? talmabout they NEEEEED him when noone ever asked him anything really?
does it really matter? what his drivers were?

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
Nah, most likely would have gotten another job or promotion.. Certainly would have demanded raise in salary. Most of us would not have been complacent and accepted whatever!!
You realize the man was in his 60’s when he got the job . that mean he came here with no education or JOB skill