A Letter from Sinead O'Connor

Riley Escobar

Anonymous
I totally agree with the letter and i felt her passion in it. She is absolutely right. I blame Rappers and hip hop partly for the demise of our young black youth today. They were given a powerful tool, but yet they have used it to demean and degrade us (black boys and girls). When you think back to the 60's 70's and early 80's, you would NOT hear music degrading females like that. You would NOT hear music glamorizing killing and murdering people over nonsense.
You can't put all of the blame on Hip-Hop and rappers... What about those people who don't want to listen to conscious music as it's too intellectual and boring to them but are happy to listen to music that demean and degrade...

iPicong

was having this convo few days back..............black people have failed black people..............how many imixers are willing to call the police on the drug dealer on the corner........how many of you are willing to snitch so that people like Zimmorales dont and trigger happy cops dont have to kill your kids........oh thats right no snitching in the hood.......the civil rights era is dead and black folks think they reach.......mainstream.......there are no black leaders because in black people mind there is nothing to fight for until 1 ah allyuh kids get murdered by "the man"..........reality is the black leaders are the black celebrities.......rappers, athletes, etc..........but they on a different level and really dont care unless it pads their pockets..........do the right thing and keep shit out allyuh neighborhoods and it will help.........stop glorifying the bullshit and being sheeps........especially you clowns who think you are enlightened by those false prophets who have their own money making agendas going ...........

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
was having this convo few days back..............black people have failed black people..............how many imixers are willing to call the police on the drug dealer on the corner........how many of you are willing to snitch so that people like Zimmorales dont and trigger happy cops dont have to kill your kids........oh thats right no snitching in the hood.......the civil rights era is dead and black folks think they reach.......mainstream.......there are no black leaders because in black people mind there is nothing to fight for until 1 ah allyuh kids get murdered by "the man"..........reality is the black leaders are the black celebrities.......rappers, athletes, etc..........but they on a different level and really dont care unless it pads their pockets..........do the right thing and keep shit out allyuh neighborhoods and it will help.........stop glorifying the bullshit and being sheeps........especially you clowns who think you are enlightened by those false prophets who have their own money making agendas going ...........

*Baahzing!* :kicks

Oneshot

where de crix
I totally agree with the letter and i felt her passion in it. She is absolutely right. I blame Rappers and hip hop partly for the demise of our young black youth today. They were given a powerful tool, but yet they have used it to demean and degrade us(black boys and girls). When you think back to the 60's 70's and early 80's, you would NOT hear music degrading females like that. You would NOT hear music glamorizing killing and murdering people over nonsense.
but yet in the 60's 70's and 80's harlem was filled with hoes and tricks, we glamourize murder, Godfather, War Medals on soldiers, killing battyman and heathens, but yet y'all quick to blame hip hop.

Riley Escobar

Anonymous
but yet in the 60's 70's and 80's harlem was filled with hoes and tricks, we glamourize murder, Godfather, War Medals on soldiers, killing battyman and heathens, but yet y'all quick to blame hip hop.
Hip-Hop will always be blamed when things go bad... Oneshot, on the real though, you think youths are checking for songs like these...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ndPA-Zcj0CM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2U2846xnMV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
copied this portion from a blog I was reading earlier:

"The uncomfortable truth is that the days of independent labels, radio stations and hip hop shows, which gave the Black Power movement a soundtrack in the 60s and a diverse voice to Black urban youth through hip hop in the 80s, are long gone. Today, everything is a conglomerate and those holding the purse strings on the airwaves and in the music industry are largely White folks, who have little to no connection to the very community they take the genre from.
And since the name of the game is profit, especially at a time when record companies are struggling to stay afloat, the formula to ensure that the industry stays relevant and that those dollars keep rolling, is to appeal to their core record buying audience, who too are mostly white, with what they want to hear. Blacks rapping about guns, drugs and all the “Scarface” type stuff has much more appealing image than listening to them rap about Black consciousness. And unfortunately, to live comfortably and be successful, a lot of us buy into it too: whether we regularly consume it and start to believe that reality ourselves or if we go willingly to help produce these images for profit.
The whole thing reminds me of the old Dave Chapelle joke about the MTV coverage of the September 11tth terrorist attack and the cult of celebrities in which after any tragedy, we want to know what a celebrity thinks – even if it is Ja Rule. Said Chappelle: “Who give a F**k what Ja Rule thinks?! I don’t want to dance. I’m scared to death. I want some answers that Ja-Rule might not have right now. You think when bad Shyte happens I be the crib like, ‘Oh my God, this is terrible! Can somebody please, find Ja Rule, get hold of this Mfer so I can make sense of all this?” I swear that is my favorite joke of all time.
Anyway, the point is that when stuff like the Trayvon Martin murder happens, I don’t really care what an Lil Wayne or Rick Ross have to say. I mean what could they say of importance, which would offer any insight beyond what their music already says? In fact, I would prefer that many of them don’t say anything. Or else we might have Soulja Boy thanking slave masters or T-Pain campaigning for Fox News again.
On the flip side of that, I didn’t want to see Kanye West dragged through the mud because he rightly pointed out the George Bush didn’t care about Black People. Nor do I want to see Common being crucified as a militant Black terrorist because he dropped Assata Shakur’s name in a song. Because this too is what is likely to happen when a rapper breaks their silence and speaks openly and honestly about what we feel are the important issues right now.
What I find most ironic about this criticism on the rappers’ social responsibilities is how we readily miss, or ignore, obvious parallels to other ways in which our community remains silent. Like how our Black politicians will, on one hand, freely speak out about the degradation within the Black community and our responsibilities as people to fix it yet tread lightly – if not remain neutral – through discussions around race and racism and how that too has a hand in why our community is in the condition it is in today. Perhaps they are too opportunistic just like the rappers. Or maybe those same racial paradigms that hold rappers to fear of being marginalized in the industry are also the same conditions that hold politicians hostage to the fear of not being reelected. (Ahem Obama).

Full article here O'Connor's Letter and What We Shouldn't be Talking About | Madame Noire | Black Women's Lifestyle Guide | Black Hair | Black Love

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
I totally agree with the letter and i felt her passion in it. She is absolutely right. I blame Rappers and hip hop partly for the demise of our young black youth today. They were given a powerful tool, but yet they have used it to demean and degrade us(black boys and girls). When you think back to the 60's 70's and early 80's, you would NOT hear music degrading females like that. You would NOT hear music glamorizing killing and murdering people over nonsense.
WOW...so you want to blame rappers...wow, why not the parents ? why not the FCC ? .......why don't the lawmakers get no blame ?

Last edited:

Ushawishi

Thanks for sharing LB...

O’Connor, who is probably best known for the cover of Prince’s Nothing Compares to U (I actually prefer her cover to the Prince version) and tearing up a picture of the Pope on Saturday Night Live (which ultimately killed her career and got her a one way ticket back to Ireland), had some really good food for thought in the letter. Her analysis about this being the year of change seems prophetic and I’ve often speculated about the cosmic significance behind the series of events happening globally; from the uprisings to the OWS to strange weather, rising gas prices and even the Martin murder.

Likewise O’Connor raises a somewhat valid point in relation to Black on Black violence. It’s a similar sentiment that I have heard expressed by other folks, who ask why is so much attention being placed on one death when there are other deaths at the hands of Black folks happening everyday in the community. I don’t know to me this whole “but what about Black on Black violence” discussion does nothing but to derail what should be our rightful reaction to a grave injustice. Last I checked, the police and prosecutors were not refusing to arrest the Black perpetrators of violence or helping them to hide their guilt – allegedly. Likewise, not everyone has been silent in the community about black on black violence. In fact there have been plenty of marches and rallies, as what we witnessed in the Martin situation. There are also mentors, community activists, teachers and after school providers who have been doing the work to save our Black men. Now, just because those, who are attempting to derail the outrage (and focus on what we have already been doing), haven’t heard of it probably has more to do with your involvement in these communities than your sudden concern about Black on Black violence. But O’Connor (and others) paternalism aside, move to the point: Rap Music.
Thanks for de support O'Connor .... know you meant well...

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
lol its never said until somebody "famous" say it ... its not being done until somebody "famous" do it...

I would really like to see all artists do what she did even if to no avail... I agree with you tho... we all need to keep doing our part and not join dis media circus.

de sun wasn't out for 2 weeks and 3 youths down ... people getting fed up with dis mess... media not helping at all.

Music is lyfe....
Yup...point well taking, to call out Rapppers, is a waste of time!

Since some on here have no clue, and mine you, a lot of them I am willing to bet are parents……let's place the blame where they belong, the politicians, a bunch of sell outs, including Pres Obama, The FCC, who so call supposed to regulate the airwaves, the Parents, who drop their bad ass kid off to school and expect the school system to work miracle, yet they are too busy on FB, or whatever other B.S. they doing….yet the refuse to understand that in this digital era it is all about Math and Science, given of course that they can read…..

It always amaze me that we need White ppl to validate what we are not doing or doing…., for those of you too young to know, Bill Cosby for a min of 25 years been calling out the Black parents, the absent Father, etc……so I see nothing new in what she is saying, again, like all cause and effect, it comes down to the MFs in Washington that time and time again have sold us us on Gun Controls, Health Insurance, Pensions, , you name it….they are the MFing culprits, along with the other clueless misinformed Negros we have amongst us that is Fcuking it up formost of us !

Last edited:

Ushawishi

Yup...point well taking, to call out Rapppers, is a waste of time!

Since some on here have no clue, and mine you, a lot of them I am willing to bet are parents……let's place the blame where they belong, the politicians, a bunch of sell outs, including Pres Obama, The FCC, who so call supposed to regulate the airwaves, the Parents, who drop their bad ass kid off to school and expect the school system to work miracle, yet they are too busy on FB, or whatever other B.S. they doing….yet the refuse to understand that in this digital era it is all about Math and Science, given of course that they can read…..

It always amaze me that we need White ppl to validate what we are not doing or doing…., for those of you too young to know, Bill Cosby for a min of 25 years been calling out the Black parents, the absent Father, etc……so I see nothing new in what she is saying, again, like all cause and effect, it comes down to the MFs in Washington that time and time again have sold us us on Gun Controls, Health Insurance, Pensions, , you name it….they are the MFing culprits, along with the other clueless misinformed Negros we have amongst us that is Fcuking it up formost of us !
You would think imixers are all living in the suburbs ... only de projects are "ghetto" lol...

well said... sad black people do not know and are not helping wat black people already have in progress... I does drive around certain districts and people representing those districts are people who grandparents used to have a house dere so it is dere "home" dey care about it, dey have cherished memories of sitting on Grandpa's lap on de front porch... de address of de grandparents never too personal to disclose tho lol .... fukk a politician...

so long a hoodie on a black kid is a "come shoot me" clothes... dat not nuffing new... if police can lie for a white civilian imagine for a law enforcement officer...again not nuffin new...

time for justice long gone from dis case sadly ... its a witchhunt now...