AKKS - Belize has a high murder rate!

B

Black Madonna

Haven't been to Utila yet, but I'd like to go to. Besides, not having Garifuna people, what makes Utila so different from Roatan?
I couldnt tell yuh. I don't really know either of the places...really. that's why I want to go. To learn. see the people. how they live absorb the culture. oddly enough I was raised in the same house as my grandfather until he passed in '89 but never experienced the culture so to speak. His family would come over regularly and at gatherings and they would speak in Spanish and no one else would know what the heck is going on. It was a 3 family house and everybody was (extended) family to each other from Honduras. His cousins from Roatan and their cousins from Cayman Islands because folks travel back and forth between the places for work.

Belize and Honduras are very close and the people mix so much, I wouldnt even know where the Belize culture ends and Honduras one begins because it's all I know from what I lived ....feel me

that's why I need to go to see where or if there is a defining line between the two

Catracha305

I couldnt tell yuh. I don't really know either of the places...really. that's why I want to go. To learn. see the people. how they live absorb the culture. oddly enough I was raised in the same house as my grandfather until he passed in '89 but never experienced the culture so to speak. His family would come over regularly and at gatherings and they would speak in Spanish and no one else would know what the heck is going on. It was a 3 family house and everybody was (extended) family to each other from Honduras. His cousins from Roatan and their cousins from Cayman Islands because folks travel back and forth between the places for work.

Belize and Honduras are very close and the people mix so much, I wouldnt even know where the Belize culture ends and Honduras one begins because it's all I know from what I lived ....feel me

that's why I need to go to see where or if there is a defining line between the two
True

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Nice pics. My friend is working on moving to Roatan...

She recently visited Belize too but her heart is in Honduras.

A.K.K.S.

Nice pics. My friend is working on moving to Roatan...

She recently visited Belize too but her heart is in Honduras.
Honduras is beautiful too, but not a smart economic investment.

I loved Roatan, but I so felt bad for how poor people lived, even compared to Belize. The mainland does not care about them

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
what is the richest central american country.. cos seems like a lot of them are plagued by the same social ills.. and they all seem to have low GDPs...

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
okay.. cool.. what's the reason for that region being so economically disadvantaged... they seem to have a lot of natural resources and are tourist centric- beaches et al.. so what's the hold up with the GDPs?

A.K.K.S.

okay.. cool.. what's the reason for that region being so economically disadvantaged... they seem to have a lot of natural resources and are tourist centric- beaches et al.. so what's the hold up with the GDPs?
IMF, World Bank, bad governements, indigenous and black oppression, etc... the usual

And not every country in Central America has nice beaches. Guatemala and El Salvador don't.