American black people who wear ras or dreadlocks

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
Locks is a way of wearing hair not exclusive to rastas, jamaicans or west indians... it was around way before rastas...
its just a hairstyle to some and has deeper meaning for others..

Vye Negre

the fact that this is even a topic make u wonder what really wrong with us? Why would you question the idea of a black person wearing their natural hair? Is weave more authentic/appropriate?

dollbabi

Earth Angel
It's beautiful, imho. Great to see people love what God gave them.

Does it matter whether or not any of us take them seriously? Some of those I know are likely doing better than most of us here.

sankofaa

my only thing is when people bunch rasta in with everything else afro centric, other than that its a hair style anyone should be able to wear them

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
When I was younger (like right after I came up), I used to think that everyone I saw with dreads was Jamaican. Not even "West Indian" but Jamaican. Then I realized that other Caribbean people wear dreads. But I almost passed out when I found out that there were African Americans who wear them too! LOL. :O

I knew, obviously, that there were dreadlocked Africans, but I didn't realize that Black Americans wore them. Nowadays, I think that the MAJORITY of people that I know who wear dreads are African American. I know a few Africans (born here) so "African-Americans" who wear them and a tiny handful of West Indian people who do.

It is just a hairstyle for almost all of them. In Jamaica, I don't think that you can wear dreads as a style. It is statement, a part of a lifestyle, a part of a religious belief system. I don't think that there are as many serious/strict Rastas now as when I was little but I don't live in Jamaica so I am not sure.

Also, Rastas experience discrimination in Jamaica so that also plays into it. Some people in certain professions and certain circles try to live a Rasta lifestyle- you all know the baldhead dreads.

So, now, it means nothing when I see an AA wearing locks. I figure they are just into the hairstyle and I no longer feel that we Jamaicans "own" dreads.

The take home message is that dreadlocks IS NOT EQUAL TO RASTA.

Afu Sensi

Kankan man
Jamaicans have never "owned" dreads.

It was worn thousands of years before jamaicans where jamaicans.
Afaik even cavemen had dreadlocks.

Oneshot

where de crix
i know they say the consumption of cow foot is a result from slavery, but i enjoy eating brown stew cow foot over steak.

however, if i had to eat one meal as a mainstay i would take steak.

i guess what she was tryna say is rasta is synonmous with Jamaica

gosh low a sista nah

but yeah dread hair is known to occur for a long time in India, and coincidentally rasta was influenced by Hindu/Indians

Oneshot

where de crix
would i eat cow foot from a six legged cow.. thjat is a good question. if genetic engineering was able to bring down the price of cow foot and oxtail, i think we caribbean people would appreciate it.

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
would i eat cow foot from a six legged cow.. thjat is a good question. if genetic engineering was able to bring down the price of cow foot and oxtail, i think we caribbean people would appreciate it.
go in your corner ---->

Afu Sensi

Kankan man
Learn to read please.

I wrote:

I knew, obviously, that there were dreadlocked Africans

smh

It was a reply to "So, now, it means nothing when I see an AA wearing locks. I figure they are just into the hairstyle and I no longer feel that we Jamaicans "own" dreads. "