Antigua National Schools Panorama 2013 & 2012

BFFan

A panorama competition among the different schools in Antigua playing 5 -6 min arrangements. I found it interesting particularily last years. I like the more open choice of songs as oppose to the National Panorama where the big bands are mostly stuck on Shortshirt and Swallow tunes from the 70s and 80s.

I only found clips 2 from this year but more from last year including a bouncy performance from last years champs

2013 Champs- Antigua Grammar School playing Socaholic by Ricardo Drue
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LsrRbeQg_JM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BFFan

2013-Sunnyside Tutorial playing Cya Fail Me by Tian Winter
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rGMGGiG28gc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BFFan

2012 Champs (3-peat) St Joseph Academy playing Dung Tung by Burning Flames
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ibit7sj7Juw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BFFan

2012 2nd place All Saints playing Jumbie by King Obstinate,.... on a side note that powder thing spooky
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m_s0Tp3p0FU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BFFan

2012 3rd place Antigua Girls High School playing Party In Space by King Swallow
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jRDAlaSs1ws?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BFFan

2012- 4th place Antigua Grammar School playing Pan Rhapsody by King Short Shirt
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/q6NrfgfPZzY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BFFan

2012 5th place Princess Margaret School playing Cya Fail Me by Tian Winter
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n2ADDrR6rXo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BFFan

Great videos! Can you tell us more about Pan in Antigua? Is the pan culture progressing?
I would say it has been progressing steadily since 2000 but has been around since 1947. The national panorama competition has been hit or miss year to year from 1949 to 1995.

I will try to give a very brief. The history of pan in Antigua is long, the oldest steelband there is Hellsgate which has won the most titles (somewhere in the teens) and is the present champions for the last 3 years. Couple of Hellsgate rivals back then in the late 40s and 50s were Red Army, Rising Sun and Brute Force.

Then other bands came into prominence in the 60s and 70s such as Harmonites, Supa Stars, Halcyon, Ebonites and Gemonites. That's when the competition was at its peak in the 70s. Most of these bands used arrangers from Trinidad, except for Hellsgate, until the mid 80s. But there has always been a Trinidad connection and even other places like St. Vincent in one way or another.

But as I stated from 2000 to present the competition has seen its most consistency in terms of existence. That could be largely due to the current Prime Minister being a former head of one of the bands, Halcyon. There is also an annual event call Moods of Pan which features local bands and players and prominent players and bands from abroad.

This schools competition used to be around carnival time in the 80s but now its around the Independence Day.

CaribKaraoke

CaribKaraoke.com Owner
I would say it has been progressing steadily since 2000 but has been around since 1947. The national panorama competition has been hit or miss year to year from 1949 to 1995.

I will try to give a very brief. The history of pan in Antigua is long, the oldest steelband there is Hellsgate which has won the most titles (somewhere in the teens) and is the present champions for the last 3 years. Couple of Hellsgate rivals back then in the late 40s and 50s were Red Army, Rising Sun and Brute Force.

Then other bands came into prominence in the 60s and 70s such as Harmonites, Supa Stars, Halcyon, Ebonites and Gemonites. That's when the competition was at its peak in the 70s. Most of these bands used arrangers from Trinidad, except for Hellsgate, until the mid 80s. But there has always been a Trinidad connection and even other places like St. Vincent in one way or another.

But as I stated from 2000 to present the competition has seen its most consistency in terms of existence. That could be largely due to the current Prime Minister being a former head of one of the bands, Halcyon. There is also an annual event call Moods of Pan which features local bands and players and prominent players and bands from abroad.

This schools competition used to be around carnival time in the 80s but now its around the Independence Day.
Are there branches of the bands that compete outside of Antigua, like at Labor Day ?