Are Reggae and Soca setting West Indians back?

Inquistive

Seriously, what have these musical genres done for us? Instead of improving the political and economic landscape of the islands, people only care about getting drunk and listening to horrible music. West Indians need to put more emphasis on improving institutions.

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
Poetry in motion expertly delivered with the 2to1 beat in music....

Music and poetry is Art...

TRINILI0N

Move Quick...Doh Stick
Seriously, what have these musical genres done for us? Instead of improving the political and economic landscape of the islands, people only care about getting drunk and listening to horrible music. West Indians need to put more emphasis on improving institutions.
:stinker:

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
:stinker:
He is obviously getting too old to dance and have a good time.

Music can also relax and edify us and there is soca and reggae music that's suitable for almost any occasion.

In fact I don't think we would have made it thru and out of slavery without calypso which is the mother of both soca and reggae music.

Missmayling

He is obviously getting too old to dance and have a good time.

Music can also relax and edify us and there is soca and reggae music that's suitable for almost any occasion.

In fact I don't think we would have made it thru and out of slavery without calypso which is the mother of both soca and reggae music.

antiguad

Since when has music been expected to develop politics and the economy?

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
What he should have said is that Mento is the first music that Jamaicans developed similar to how Calypso was the first music Trinidadians developed (both coming out of the musical expressions of the ex-slaves).
However Calypso was developed first and was much more popular internationally in the 40's and 50's than mento was so most of the Mento musicians in Jamaica also played calypso and many of their recordings in the 50's were mento-calypsos to help tap into the bigger calypso loving international market at the time.

So before ska was developed in the late 50's to early 60's the popular music in Jamaica that preceded it was a fusion of mento and calypso or mento-calypsos due to the popularity during the 40's and 50's of Calypso throughout the Caribbean and also in USA and Britain.

So the style of mento that led to ska and then rock-steady and then reggae was basically Mento-Calypso and in fact most of the Jamaican music recordings in the 50's that preceded ska were actually Mento-Calypsos rather than pure Mento. In fact the very first recordings ever done in Jamaica in 1951 that marked the birth of the Jamaican music recording industry were all Mento-Calypsos.

Check the very first first historical Jamaican Mento-Calypso recording below done by Lord Fly in 1951. Note that the style is actually Mento-Calypso rather than pure Mento reflecting the very strong influence of the then very popular Trinidad Calypso on Jamaican and world music during that period.

Medley of Jamaican Mento-Calypsos #1 [1951] - Lord Fly with Dan Williams & his Orchestra
<iframe width="650" height="400" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-IOtt1tAFsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Medley of Jamaican Mento-Calypsos (Fan me solja man fan me; One solja man; Yuh no yeary weh de old man sey; Slide Mongoose) by Lord Fly with Dan Williams & his Orchestra
℗1951 Stanley Motta Ltd.
Style: Jamaican Mento-Calypsos

Most of the music recordings done during the 50's in Jamaica were Mento-Calypso recordings like above rather than pure Mento recordings and the fusion with Calypso was done for marketing reasons because Calypso was way more popular with international audiences than mento was during that crucial period that eventually led to ska. Ska which was developed in Jamaica in the late 50's, came out of Jamaican musicians fusing Mento with the popular outside music influences of Calypso and American Jazz and Rhythm & Blues.

bktrini305

The subject matter dealt with in the music is the subject matter that sells. Topics other than sex, drugs, and violence are available JUST AS they are in hip hop might i add. But they do not sell.

In the same was that Talib Kweli and Imortal Technique will never have a platinum album. Isaac Blackman will never win a Roadmarch. and Beres Hammond will remain a Hotel artist good for the tourists.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
The subject matter dealt with in the music is the subject matter that sells. Topics other than sex, drugs, and violence are available JUST AS they are in hip hop might i add. But they do not sell.

In the same was that Talib Kweli and Imortal Technique will never have a platinum album. Isaac Blackman will never win a Roadmarch. and Beres Hammond will remain a Hotel artist good for the tourists.
Huh? You realize Beres sells out more shows consistently every year than any of the "*more popular" artists from Jamaica?

Oneshot

where de crix

Bere is overrated in my opinion

bktrini305

Huh? You realize Beres sells out more shows consistently every year than any of the "*more popular" artists from Jamaica?
of course! I'm talking radio play abroad and stuff like that. Things that affect young people's perception of the music. Kartel and movado are on MTV not Beres.

Everybody of a certain age for example have been to a "Jazz in the Gardens" type of event. And Erykah Badu will play for enormous audiences and influences a lot of people's life choices, but I definitely would put her and Beres in the not-so-influential-on-the-youth category.

Oneshot

where de crix
music make millions, make nuff man eat. make rasta buy land in country, make ghetto youth man set up his mother for life.

the middle class set the caribbean back, they going to rock the boat once they can buy their apples, and visit their visa to travel a yonder.