Bad manners or being healthy?

BacchanalDiva

Taken from another forum discussion:
Assuming you do not buy everything organic -you host an event at your home and one of your guests asks if the food is all organic...are you insulted or do you feel its normal for them to ask?

Does it make a difference if the event is for kids and they're asking because they're kids want to eat?

Assuming you do eat everything organic and you're the guest..would you inquire for yourself if adult event or your child if kiddy event? Or do you feel it would be in poor taste and either make an exception or simply don't eat?

Is this along the same lines as a person w/ food allergies or kosher/muslim/vegan?

No tangent about whether or not organic food is better..this is about tact or lack of.

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
if you are that strict about eating organic for you and your kids eat before you come or inquire before the event so at least the host has you in mind when they're preparing.

Once you get there, ask but if the answer isn't to your liking good luck trying to monitor your kids every min to make sure they're not eating the stuff.

Either way eat 'fore you leave home and don't preach to the host.

Nica

SAINTSational
Unless I have food allergies, I don't think I'll be asking the host if the food is organic

Although I prefer to eat organic, I am not that strict about it. It is more expensive too... if I feel strongly about it, ask the host in advance.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
if you are that strict about eating organic for you and your kids eat before you come or inquire before the event so at least the host has you in mind when they're preparing.

Once you get there, ask but if the answer isn't to your liking good luck trying to monitor your kids every min to make sure they're not eating the stuff.

*bangs parliament desk in agreement*

BacchanalDiva

What about implying that the host doesn't care about his/her kids' health as much as you do yours because they won't make the financial sacrifice to buy organic?

B

Black Madonna

They better ask than to assume. I would never feel insulted as a host if someone asks about the content of the food. I had people eat my beans who dont eat pork, but they never asked in advanced and they were kinda annoyed but that is their fault for not asking not mine.

one guy came to me asking where they were and I knew he didnt eat pork so I said "no they have pork in it" to stop him. somebody else overheard me that already ate them that didnt eat pork was shocked and like "shit that had pork in it" mind you he enjoyed that shit because everybody was talking about it. so many people after the fact came and told me how much they loved it and many are non pork eater and I had to tell them, it had pork in it.

I cater to the majority not the minority. and if you are on a special diet, you'd better ask to protect yourself

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
what about implying that the host doesn't care about his/her kids' health as much as you do yours because they won't make the financial sacrifice to buy organic?

and STAY HOME

B

Black Madonna

I wouldnt stay home. then they need to bring a dish, they can eat and for others to sample and enjoy...simple. shouldnt be going anywhere empty handed anyway. as a host if somebody volunteers to bring food because they have a special diet, no worries on me. I'd rather you do that than not come because of the menu.

people do that at my BBQ. saves me money.

T

T-MAKAA

They should know the majority of ppl do not buy organic food. ..and whoever u know that is a strictly organic person usually tells the world "i only eat organic"

BacchanalDiva

They better ask than to assume. I would never feel insulted as a host if someone asks about the content of the food. I had people eat my beans who dont eat pork, but they never asked in advanced and they were kinda annoyed but that is their fault for not asking not mine.

one guy came to me asking where they were and I knew he didnt eat pork so I said "no they have pork in it" to stop him. somebody else overheard me that already ate them that didnt eat pork was shocked and like "shit that had pork in it" mind you he enjoyed that shit because everybody was talking about it. so many people after the fact came and told me how much they loved it and many are non pork eater and I had to tell them, it had pork in it.

I cater to the majority not the minority. and if you are on a special diet, you'd better ask to protect yourself
Somehow I don't see organic vs non the same as I do someone asking "does that have peanuts cause i'm allergic" or "does that have pork i don't eat that". If you're that worried about pesticides that you can't make an exception, i think you should eat before you come as Taj said and I usually go to get togethers w/ my daughter's food in a container, not only because of food content but she's plain ole disgusting in her pickiness and won't eat most things. Don't think it should be an opportunity to "educate the host" as some ppl in another forum suggested either. Ppl does just go overboard boy.

Chick 1
So those of us that can't afford a 100% organic diet don't care about what we're feeding our children?
Chick 2
It is what it is. this is OUR personal choice - what others do is up to them. People avoid dyes in food as well (not to mentions tons of other things!), no one seems to see that as taboo but yet can't view organics in the same context

people make sacrifices to make food choices work, not just organics - - if you don't give it to your child- you don't give it
Chick 1
You're right, it is what it is. But you implying that parents who can't provide their kids with a 100% organic diet is judgmental and really comes across as high and mighty. I don't know about anyone else, but we live bare bones and there's nothing left in our budget to sacrifice (short of the roof over our heads) in order to be able to spend that kind of money on food. But we still eat healthy (organic when we can afford it) and I CERTAINLY care deeply about the well being of my child.
Chick 2
Facts are facts - pesticides are what they are - fact not fiction - it is not a "judgement" when you state a fact

ETA - people make "life-style"(non-allergic) food related choices all the time (kosher, vegan, avoiding certain ingredients, etc) avoiding non-organics should - IMO be view in the same context - nothing to be afraid of or embarrassed of - but a choice that should be respected

if you can respect that a person does not want their child to eat a potato fried in pork fat (for ex.- for any number of reasons) why can't that person respect the organic choice that parent is making?

BacchanalDiva

and STAY HOME
I wouldnt stay home. then they need to bring a dish, they can eat and for others to sample and enjoy...simple. shouldnt be going anywhere empty handed anyway. as a host if somebody volunteers to bring food because they have a special diet, no worries on me. I'd rather you do that than not come because of the menu.

If you're gonna be rude you should stay home but bringing a dish is a great answer. You could nonchalantly let ppl know its all organic ingredients and whoever goes that way help themselves. But I so wouldn't trouble my hosts w/ even asking that before the event. 1st of all, I know which of my friends do organic and which don't so why even ask? Comes off as snotty to me.

*Sugarr*

ppl find all kinds of things to stress over....i would rather someone be safe than sorry...please feel free to ask me anything.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
depends on how they ask.. if they ask me if the food is organic, and there are some items that are organic i will point those out.. if there is nothing there, i'll say so..

i always ask if there is seafood in rice and cooked up dishes etc.. and if there is i decline.. and eat soemthing else... i dont see it as much of an issue..

B

Black Madonna

I am responding from the host perspective and it is all the same to me. if somebody asks about the preparation of the food and/or whether it is organic (still a matter of preparation), etc, etc. It is all about protecting their diet.

you asked:

Is this along the same lines as a person w/ food allergies or kosher/muslim/vegan?

so I am saying yes it is
No tangent about whether or not organic food is better..this is about tact or lack of.
so who is talking about educating the host?

you asked about both sides. guest and host and i am saying. that the guest should inquire and the host should not be offended. and if a host is offended they need not be hosting and I would think hard about eating from that person special diet or not.

BacchanalDiva

I am responding from the host perspective and it is all the same to me. if somebody asks about the preparation of the food and/or whether it is organic (still a matter of preparation), etc, etc. It is all about protecting their diet.

you asked:

so I am saying yes it is

so who is talking about educating the host?

you asked about both sides. guest and host and i am saying. that the guest should inquire and the host should not be offended.

Got you on all this but

and if a host is offended they need not be hosting and I would think hard about eating from that person special diet or not.
Really? Why? Lucky I'm not particularly easy to offend (prob cause I expect most ppl to be tactless anyway) so I wouldn't be if I were the host but you really can't see why a host might be even if you would not?

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty

the stay home was more for if you gonna end up preaching and debating ppl parenting skills like in the quotes she put. bringing a dish is fine

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
They should know the majority of ppl do not buy organic food. ..and whoever u know that is a strictly organic person usually tells the world "i only eat organic"
I really dont get how its more complicated than this.

B

Black Madonna

Really? Why? Lucky I'm not particularly easy to offend (prob cause I expect most ppl to be tactless anyway) so I wouldn't be if I were the host but you really can't see why a host might be even if you would not?
because as a host you need to take your guests into consideration (even though you cant cover 100% of the people 100 of the time). that is why you should never be offended if your guests are trying to cover themselves. I cannot for the life of me see why any host would be offended other than that person being a poor host. if I cant ask you what's in your food or how your food is prepared, etc without issue then why would I want to eat from you.

no thank you.