Bad manners or being healthy?

BacchanalDiva

because as a host you need to take your guests into consideration (even though you cant cover 100% of the people 100 of the time). that is why you should never be offended if your guests are trying to cover themselves. I cannot for the life of me see why any host would be offended other than that person being a poor host. if I cant ask you what's in your food or how your food is prepared, etc without issue then why would I want to eat from you.

no thank you.
Ok, I do get your point and in general I agree. I think w/ this specifically, the reason why it comes off badly in my mind and others is because of the price difference in preparing 100% organic...if that's not in a person's budget, you risk making someone bad..like what they have isn't good enough.

BacchanalDiva

Was just on the phone w/ a g/f about her daughter's 5th bday party this Saturday and this thread came to mind. She decided to do the party at Prospect Park Zoo :headbang: despite every other idea I've been giving her for weeks and now she tells me each child is getting a HAPPY MEAL...yea, McDonald's frikin happy meal! So I say "Really C, you gonna give ppl's kids McDonald's? Like for real?" and she answers "Look, I know you don't give your daughter McDonald's but most ppl do let their kids have happy meals now and then, if you want, I'll get something else for yours". She's someone that I can speak to pretty straight w/out worrying about being polite, yet she sounded like she was getting offended so i let it drop.

Am I crazy or is it crazy that in this day and age someone would take it upon themselves to feed other ppl's kids McDonald's??

What would be your reaction if you took your kid to a bday party and the host was serving mcnuggets & fries?

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Was just on the phone w/ a g/f about her daughter's 5th bday party this Saturday and this thread came to mind. She decided to do the party at Prospect Park Zoo :headbang: despite every other idea I've been giving her for weeks and now she tells me each child is getting a HAPPY MEAL...yea, McDonald's frikin happy meal! So I say "Really C, you gonna give ppl's kids McDonald's? Like for real?" and she answers "Look, I know you don't give your daughter McDonald's but most ppl do let their kids have happy meals now and then, if you want, I'll get something else for yours". She's someone that I can speak to pretty straight w/out worrying about being polite, yet she sounded like she was getting offended so i let it drop.

Am I crazy or is it crazy that in this day and age someone would take it upon themselves to feed other ppl's kids McDonald's??

What would be your reaction if you took your kid to a bday party and the host was serving mcnuggets & fries?
I wouldn't necessarily think anything one way or the other. It's no different than ppl having bday parties at Chuck E. Cheese. She could also talk to all the kids parents to see if it would be a problem.

*Sugarr*

yeah i do think its crazy to expect to go to a party and get what you would normally feed your own child. I think its crazy to expect anyone to do anything you would do...or see things how you do. When given an invitation your options are to simply not attend if u dont agree with what is being served or bring your own food. This isnt anything close to asking a host how certain foods are prepared. I would be annoyed if someone had a fit about what i was serving at a party as thats MY choice...but i wouldnt be offended if someone asked me if what i was serving was organic etc.

Poca

I don't think that i will mind really. IMO, it's good to be in the healthy craze and all but it's also good to remember that not everyone is in that phase with us. Eating nuggets and fries once in a blue moon isn't going to kill anyone. If someone feel so strongly about their health it's best that they never eat out nor food cook my someone else.

On a side note, there are a lot of so called organic products out there that are very far from being organic. Specially if the food is coming from another country. I work with a very "granola" organic crazy, grown my own stuff, make my own fabric type of woman and she told us that most of those organic stuff in the stores are purely marketing and folks are paying extra for no reason. Apparently there are only 2, 100% organic farms (from the soil they use to grow, the grain they use to plant and the way the manage their farms) in the whole province and they do not supply any big chain supermarkets because they do not produce enough to supply big quantify.

BacchanalDiva

I wouldn't necessarily think anything one way or the other. It's no different than ppl having bday parties at Chuck E. Cheese. She could also talk to all the kids parents to see if it would be a problem.
Funny, that's exactly where she had it last year but we didn't go (not for that reason..just schedule). I just feel that when you're feeding ppl's kids you have the responsibility to keep it wholesome, not necessarily organic and all of that but Mcdonalds is over the top imo. Why not just order pizza if anything?

Poca

Pizza is better than McDo?

anyway i think that someone who is having a party and who isn't requesting any contribution from the attendees have all the right to serve what she/he wants. Yes it should be done in the best interest of all. Keep in mind that it's a party, something that only happens from time to time...

limintrinibwoy

ah like chupidness
Funny, that's exactly where she had it last year but we didn't go (not for that reason..just schedule). I just feel that when you're feeding ppl's kids you have the responsibility to keep it wholesome, not necessarily organic and all of that but Mcdonalds is over the top imo. Why not just order pizza if anything?
but remember...kids used to have bday party in mcdonalds playhouse long time....i dnt see that many playhouses nemore wit slides and balls and stuff....im not a parent yet....but i dnt think i wud mind...its jsut one afternoon for a bday party....not like they eating cake every day neither..

BacchanalDiva

yeah i do think its crazy to expect to go to a party and get what you would normally feed your own child. I think its crazy to expect anyone to do anything you would do...or see things how you do. When given an invitation your options are to simply not attend if u dont agree with what is being served or bring your own food. This isnt anything close to asking a host how certain foods are prepared. I would be annoyed if someone had a fit about what i was serving at a party as thats MY choice...but i wouldnt be offended if someone asked me if what i was serving was organic etc.
I don't think that i will mind really. IMO, it's good to be in the healthy craze and all but it's also good to remember that not everyone is in that phase with us. Eating nuggets and fries once in a blue moon isn't going to kill anyone. If someone feel so strongly about their health it's best that they never eat out nor food cook my someone else.

On a side note, there are a lot of so called organic products out there that are very far from being organic. Specially if the food is coming from another country. I work with a very "granola" organic crazy, grown my own stuff, make my own fabric type of woman and she told us that most of those organic stuff in the stores are purely marketing and folks are paying extra for no reason. Apparently there are only 2, 100% organic farms (from the soil they use to grow, the grain they use to plant and the way the manage their farms) in the whole province and they do not supply any big chain supermarkets because they do not produce enough to supply big quantify.
Thing is, it should be at parent's discretion when and if to feed their child junk. Let parents make that exception to the rule, not you. Esp when you're talking about such young kids.

Poca you're right about the organic stuff tho. Ppl don't realize that its almost impossible to grow w/out pesticides and pesticides that can certify as organic come w/ their own sets of problems. Locally grown is way more more important than an organic label.

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
I think parents more have a responsibility to let other parent's know what the choices will be for their kids at a party and let them decide from there. You cant please everyone and some parents may not give a damn.

Hey, my dad refused to let us eat at any fast food restaurant until we were over 12 yrs old (made my brother obsessed with McD's lol so much so that his 1st job was at McDonald's so he could eat as much as he wanted :kicks )

So as long as he knew that was where some party was going to be held, we either didnt go or he made other arrangements. Sucked for us but that's our parents decision and not the responsibility of the parent hosting the party.

I also have a severe nut allergy. I have to carry an epipen in case of a reaction. And even then, I have never thought to impose on others. If someone wants to serve nut based foods, I will simply not attend. I dont expect others to bend over backwards for me and I have a food issue that can kill me. So for anything less, I just dont see the need to get upset for other ppl's choices.

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
Same here, I don't see the issue. It's a birthday party for kids, and what better way than to give kids what they actually want? It's a guaranteed thing that the kids are going to eat something they like, and they also get a toy.

BacchanalDiva

Pizza is better than McDo?

anyway i think that someone who is having a party and who isn't requesting any contribution from the attendees have all the right to serve what she/he wants. Yes it should be done in the best interest of all. Keep in mind that it's a party, something that only happens from time to time...
Pizza is def better. For me it puts me in an awkward position. I told my lil one that mcdonald's is poison and awful for our bodies. She is def going to say it when she see's it the same way she told her cousin other day "don't eat that white bread or you'll die".

BacchanalDiva

but remember...kids used to have bday party in mcdonalds playhouse long time....i dnt see that many playhouses nemore wit slides and balls and stuff....im not a parent yet....but i dnt think i wud mind...its jsut one afternoon for a bday party....not like they eating cake every day neither..
Yea i remember those parties, and my mom buying me mcdonald's on friday nights :kicks Thing is that we know better now.

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
Pizza is def better. For me it puts me in an awkward position. I told my lil one that mcdonald's is poison and awful for our bodies. She is def going to say it when she see's it the same way she told her cousin other day "don't eat that white bread or you'll die".
flippin' heck you sound like my dad :rofl: :rofl:

only he didnt business with what we ended up repeating in public :kicks

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
You're raising a health bully. She's gonna beat up kids, take there lunch and throw it in the trash. lol

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
oh no you already got the baby acting like that? :kicks

BacchanalDiva

I think parents more have a responsibility to let other parent's know what the choices will be for their kids at a party and let them decide from there. You cant please everyone and some parents may not give a damn.

Hey, my dad refused to let us eat at any fast food restaurant until we were over 12 yrs old (made my brother obsessed with McD's lol so much so that his 1st job was at McDonald's so he could eat as much as he wanted :kicks )

So as long as he knew that was where some party was going to be held, we either didnt go or he made other arrangements. Sucked for us but that's our parents decision and not the responsibility of the parent hosting the party.

I also have a severe nut allergy. I have to carry an epipen in case of a reaction. And even then, I have never thought to impose on others. If someone wants to serve nut based foods, I will simply not attend. I dont expect others to bend over backwards for me and I have a food issue that can kill me. So for anything less, I just dont see the need to get upset for other ppl's choices.
That's not even an option, tho I wish. We missed last year and its a close friend who supports everything that we do. In the end it doesn't matter but so much because mine won't even think about food whether its something she likes or not in that environment. I just find it kinda perplexing from and intelligent, well informed adult.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
Taken from another forum discussion:
Assuming you do not buy everything organic -you host an event at your home and one of your guests asks if the food is all organic...are you insulted or do you feel its normal for them to ask?

Does it make a difference if the event is for kids and they're asking because they're kids want to eat?

Assuming you do eat everything organic and you're the guest..would you inquire for yourself if adult event or your child if kiddy event? Or do you feel it would be in poor taste and either make an exception or simply don't eat?

Is this along the same lines as a person w/ food allergies or kosher/muslim/vegan?

No tangent about whether or not organic food is better..this is about tact or lack of.
I don't see nothing in someone making such an inquiry. Likewise if I am strict about it, I would make sure if my child is invited to something that I communicate with the host that, that is how we eat.