Beenie Man and Elephant Man Onstage interview about the BET awards

i doubt bet does it again

but if they do it would be better if they showcase songs that are semi current.

next year i dont wanna see vegas singing heads high, damian, welcome to jamrock, sean paul just give me de light, and lady saw singing some shite

trinike

every year BET does a back-in-time segment, this year Jamaica got it.

from if it's true from what i hear of friends who work there, shabba really wanted too much money.

ele & beenie genuinely glad/emotional, cause they know the fight & rape dancehall is getting, home & abroad. It's a good look if things start to ignite/free up for the fraternity. milk while it's hot again.

how soca, jump in this i don't know...i figure calypso have a better chance lol

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen

from if it's true from what i hear of friends who work there, shabba really wanted too much money.

ele & beenie genuinely glad/emotional, cause they know the fight & rape dancehall is getting, home & abroad. It's a good look if things start to ignite/free up for the fraternity. milk while it's hot again.

and that's what i RESPECT...no ego thing...just really genuinely proud at how far dancehall is coming...when beenie compared it to feeling like Bolt and hearing the national anthem, you know it's real

if it's true about Shabba and the money thing....then that is sad

not only shabba wanted too much money, but he wanted more time as well.... and none of those other people got paid, so he shoulda just relax

ele and beenie should be overly glad, cause internationally their careers have deteriorated badly and no one is checking for them, so for them to be showcased at an awards show means alot as far as bookings for them abroad

but its all based off old songs :headbang

LIONESS onda RISE

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zb9b4Nt0pUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i find it interesting that they said that Patra and Shabba Ranks turned down the offer to be in the show....and that the segment was supposed to be longer to include them in it....

they are also saying that there will be a dancehall segment EVERY YEAR on the BET awards....now i have reason to actually watch it...

if anyone saw the performance, it was nice to see everybody get up and sing along with the music....dancehall and reggae definitely get a lot of love....

i also liked how they said they wanted them to close the show after seeing them rehearse but realized that that might be offensive since BET is a hip hop station....

the best part is them talking about feeling pride to represent Jamaica and seeing their flag on stage....they recognize the importance, and didn't feel they were too big
What does the last sentence mean? They didn't think they were too big?
Ok i watched the whole interview and them fellas representing for themselves and their culture. Respek to them!
Yes!!!!! I was nice

LIONESS onda RISE

nationality and all that nonsense aside, Bunji Garlin is more musically, lyrically gifted and versatile than Elephant man and Beenie put together but thats not really the topic, because i wont like for people to disrespect artist like Bunji when they dont know his catalogue or his talent

anyway moving on, this is a nice look for BET, it was nice that they actually had a decent segment focusing on non African American Black music. time for Black America to realize they are not the only Black people in the world.

especially after that horrible Grammy Bob Marley tribute.
Time for black America to recognize we aren't the only black ppl? WTF? Sound like small island inferiority complex. AA's certainly know we aren't the only ones, we can't help it if u feel bad that we are the most accomplished and u should be thankful we let u on OUR thing.. Lol

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
What does the last sentence mean? They didn't think they were too big?

Yes!!!!! I was nice
i just meant that they were humbled by the experience.....beenie man is very arrogant and boasy...and for him to be able to speak like he had a sense of humility is nice

LIONESS onda RISE

i just meant that they were humbled by the experience.....beenie man is very arrogant and boasy...and for him to be able to speak like he had a sense of humility is nice
Ok.. I hear ya. Idk about Beenie, when u sit and chat with him in a diff setting, he's quite diff than the arrogant boastfull person
in my opinion Elephant Man fukked up that genre and shouldnt have been there to represent it
I fully agree!!!!!!! Got man dancing like a circus freak and competing with women instead of wining up on women!!

triniameri

Hey Ms. Carter...
Ok.. I hear ya. Idk about Beenie, when u sit and chat with him in a diff setting, he's quite diff than the arrogant boastfull person

I fully agree!!!!!!! Got man dancing like a circus freak and competing with women instead of wining up on women!!
I went to concert showcasing Machel and Elephant Man at Crossroads years back..Machel finish his set -women as usual bombarded the stage but when Elephant Man came on if you could have seen the men rushing to get to him :eek: pushing women out the way to dance on the stage with him ...I felt a way :no2: didn't like that at all...at all

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
not only shabba wanted too much money, but he wanted more time as well.... and none of those other people got paid, so he shoulda just relax

ele and beenie should be overly glad, cause internationally their careers have deteriorated badly and no one is checking for them, so for them to be showcased at an awards show means alot as far as bookings for them abroad

but its all based off old songs :headbang
Why so?! Shabba is de one who open de flood gates for them to see consistent airplay since then in american media. Why Shabba need to perform for BET for free? When Epic dropped him did they ever hire him? What have they personally done for him that he owes them enough to perform for free? Shabba deserve de utmost respect when it come to his contribution to dancehall crossing over into mainstream. If he want to be paid it's his right. Shabba was never a compromise artist unless he is a personal friend. He set's his price and always says "take it or leave it"

The lil segment was decent, maybe should have been just a bit longer. It was effective though, and all the artists represented well.

One note, (Ele touched on it) caribbean artists in general are far more professional than many around the world realize. I have had the experience of dealing with american producers who were amazed at how quickly a song can be voiced by a caribbean artist in comparison to many american artist who does seem like dey need 50 take and 2 weeks to find their comfort zone and the same goes for rehearsals too.

Why so?! Shabba is de one who open de flood gates for them to see consistent airplay since then in american media. Why Shabba need to perform for BET for free? When Epic dropped him did they ever hire him? What have they personally done for him that he owes them enough to perform for free? Shabba deserve de utmost respect when it come to his contribution to dancehall crossing over into mainstream. If he want to be paid it's his right. Shabba was never a compromise artist unless he is a personal friend. He set's his price and always says "take it or leave it"

The lil segment was decent, maybe should have been just a bit longer. It was effective though, and all the artists represented well.

One note, (Ele touched on it) caribbean artists in general are far more professional than many around the world realize. I have had the experience of dealing with american producers who were amazed at how quickly a song can be voiced by a caribbean artist in comparison to many american artist who does seem like dey need 50 take and 2 weeks to find their comfort zone and the same goes for rehearsals too.
since when people get paid to perform at awards shows( almost all do it for free) The exposure it would of given him would be worth more the money he was asking

LIONESS onda RISE

:kicks: must of thought this was Sumfest or something:lol:

I actually never thought about whether these ppl got paid or not, now that u mention it, most likely not! Shabba have real nerve!

Ras_Apache

Yeh mon...no comparison. Carib artists are GREAt...none of that studio voice nonsense. They man dem come een , voice their tune in no time and ride out. I remember back in the day at jaros studio when elephant man did a dub plate for me...the dude just had them set the cutting machine up and voiced the tune real time one take ask the machine was cutting the dub...smh super talented dudes.

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Nikki,

I was excited to see this...whoever did the props, knew what they were doing...it was set up nice !

Man Elephant Man had that on lock….by far one of the Best entertainer out of Jamaica ! ……As usual Jabba once again confirm why I have no respect for 98% of DJs….if you watch it again, he feel this is about him…STFU….this is about Dancehall stars !

Re : The interview, wow…..i love the excitement and the candid talk. The sad part about all of this is…where are the yutes ? They turned it over to Dem to Build on the Foundation artists from Studio 1 all the way up and clearly, they dropped the ball…..It seems they only interested in Slack Dutty lyrics, wearing tight ass pants and , fighting down the Hot Gals Dem for the Video light…while they hold hands and dance in a circle! …they aint studying soldering no Ras Hot Gals…or to elevate the ting in a positive manner.....Damn Shame!

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
Patra side of the story

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Pt_A3mnhwsE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>