Black History Month

Moqueca

Why is black history month in February, the shortest month of the year. It's because they don't want to hear much of our history. They don't want to hear about it so to make us quiet they put it in the shortest month of the year with only 28 days. We need to push for black history quarter and then push for black history to be mandatory in our curriculum.

Also why don't other races have their own month?

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
thats not why its in February

but we should for Black and African History to be made mandatory... and as much emphasis placed on it as they do American and European History

Ananci_7

Why is black history month in February, the shortest month of the year. It's because they don't want to hear much of our history. They don't want to hear about it so to make us quiet they put it in the shortest month of the year with only 28 days. We need to push for black history quarter and then push for black history to be mandatory in our curriculum.

With respect, I have a lot of problems with this view

First off Dr Carter G Woodson, who started Black History Month, is the one who pushed for it to be in February. This was to honour Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln (who many of that time and even now mistakenly feel fought the Civil War to free enslaved Africans; he was in fact, no less racist but was a pragmatist).

But, let's for argument sake say it was placed in February deliberately because it's the shortest year and that "they" don't want us to hear of our past. So. What. What difference does it really make what month it's in? That should have been the month to reflect on what we supposed to be doing for the whole year. I am with you in clamouring for inclusion of African history in school's curricula; but just not as a separate entity. The late Dr John Henrik Clarke used to say, what Arthur Schomberg told him so many years ago: what we call Black history is the missing pages of world history. And we need to have a thorough understanding of all the history and sociology of the world because we're in all of them.

And no one is hiding anything from us, at least not to the extent many of us like to think. It's not being hidden too much because we're not reading it anyhow. We not writing our history even though Chancellor Williams warned us so many years ago, we're not tapping into our resource, epistemologies, our sacred science. Theophile Obenga, protege of the great Cheikh Anta Diop, has translated and written out the ancient philosophies of the Pharaohs: the code they were obligated to follow while on the throne. Anyone here read the book? Where are the sustained conversations and trading of ideas, constructs...teasing out new ones? The people I admire are the Zapatistas, they are what we as Maroons used to be. They know what it is like to be crushed and yet they are doing so much and with a lot less than we have right now. We need to learn from them a thing or two.

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
With respect, I have a lot of problems with this view

First off Dr Carter G Woodson, who started Black History Month, is the one who pushed for it to be in February. This was to honour Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln (who many of that time and even now mistakenly feel fought the Civil War to free enslaved Africans; he was in fact, no less racist but was a pragmatist).

I personally feel Lincoln was racist or atheist///
So do please elaborate more on this so I can see your POV....

I've been meaning to engage anyone on this matter......

dollbabi

Earth Angel
There are plenty heritage months in the U.S.

Caribbean-American Heritage Month is in June
Hispanic/Latin American Heritage Month is in October
Native American Heritage Month is in November
Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month is in May
Polish-American Heritage Month is in October

Honestly, "Black" history month is more so African-American history month.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
There are plenty heritage months in the U.S.

Caribbean-American Heritage Month is in June
Hispanic/Latin American Heritage Month is in October
Native American Heritage Month is in November
Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month is in May
Polish-American Heritage Month is in October

Honestly, "Black" history month is more so African-American history month.
I concur

Ananci_7

I personally feel Lincoln was racist or atheist///
So do please elaborate more on this so I can see your POV....

I've been meaning to engage anyone on this matter......
Why didn't you just initiate it? This is one of the better groups for free exchange of ideas

And how is being an atheist in and of itself a bad thing? I am. Religious people have no exclusive claim on being moral and furthermore history is very VERY clear that 99% of the wars, murders, rapes, destruction to the environment comes from ideas fomented by religion. There can be no possible debate on this (and I hardly ever make absolute statements like this)

As for his views on race, about 20 years ago, I read in the old Port of Spain library the Journal of Negro History started by the same Carter G Woodson and he reprinted a letter written by Lincoln to one Horace Greeley, a leading abolitionist, in which he told him very clearly that the only reason he was warring with the South was to preserve the Union "and not to save or destroy slavery". He said that if he could preserve the Union by freeing some of the blacks but leaving the others he would do it. His primary concern was preservation of the Union.

Also, he was very reluctant to put free blacks in the army because he did not think they would make good soldiers, that they would not fight, nor have the mental capacity to make tactical decisions. All of these were in keeping with racist ideas advanced by social scientists of his day. A little known fact of history is that blacks were in Confederate uniforms before they wore Union kit.

Ananci_7

OP are you African-American? If not then why do you care?
Well this statement is even more worrying; why should one not care? Have we really become that insular? By that logic the apartheid regime had nothing to do with us in the Caribbean, but some of the most powerful displays of solidarity and support came out of the Caribbean including the refusal of many West Indies cricket giants like Viv Richards, Lloyd, Marshall, Holding, Haynes and Roberts to play in South Africa even though the money dangled in front of them were 10 times what they were making back then (let's see today's athletes have that fortitude). Near impoverished dock workers refused to unload Italian ships in 1935 and many people left the Catholic Church when Italy invaded Ethiopia. Indeed, many signed up (but were refused permission) to go to Ethiopia and fight.

There was support for African American struggles back in the 1960s and this support was intellectual as well as financial. How then have we become this isolated?

Swollen

Players Play I Coach

If yuh do a lil ting on black history you would know why and you would not have to ask such an illiterate question....