Black immigrants are closing the white-black achievement gap

Inquistive

If you look at the data, the difference between the social standing of blacks decades ago and now are due to the achievements of black immigrants.

The number of black immigrants in the US quadrupled from 1980 to 2010, increasing their share of the black population from 4% to 10%. During that time period the black-white wage and employment gap widened substantially. This paper explores the extent native blacks differ from immigrant blacks. Additionally it determines in how far increased selective immigration masks an even greater deterioration in the economic condition of native blacks. In 2011, excluding black immigrants increases the white-black wage gap by 4% for men and 9% for women. It increases the employment gap by 13% and 19% for men and women respectively.
http://home.uchicago.edu/~arauh/Rauh2013b.pdf

TTCLIFEMEMBER

everyday working man
Achievements that, had black Americans not fought and died for, black immigrants would have never had the opportunity to get.

AROUCA-TRINI

Of course immigrants do better on average than locals...that's because the uneducated are restricted from entering. That's like saying Nigerians do better than afro-trinis which would be true because most are professionals.

SKBai1991

Achievements that, had black Americans not fought and died for, black immigrants would have never had the opportunity to get.
You say that as if Black Immigrants didn't have a pivotal role in the Civil Rights movement as well, as if Malcolm X, Louis Farrakhan, Shirley Chisholm, WEB DuBois, Marcus Garvey and Stokley Carmichael didn't exist. West Indian immigrants and their descendants have been in the US since the 19th century and have always been involved in Black activism.

Not to rant or anything but I hate when people try to portray Black immigrants as opportunists who only took advantage of the struggles of Black Americans, we were there fighting as well and always have been.

bktrini305

when america has a cold black america has pneumonia. Its a growing problem that natural citizens don't pursue higher education/grad school like immigrants do. Its not unlikely that the gap is worse for black Americans and immigrants.

Oneshot

where de crix
immigrants to better than natives hand down, like the poster said before, non talented people are not allowed to enter.

let them do the study in a more open, more socialsit country, like the UK. I doubt the numbers would be that great.

SKBai1991

immigrants to better than natives hand down, like the poster said before, non talented people are not allowed to enter.

let them do the study in a more open, more socialsit country, like the UK. I doubt the numbers would be that great.
I agree.

Regardless of race you see similar disparities in immigrant levels of achievement vs. native-born achievement. 3rd generation Asians do no better than native-born Whites, same for South Asians, Hispanics, etc. Americanisation gets to everyone eventually.

dedetriniking

To uproot yourself from your homeland and travel thousands of miles to a new land to put down roots takes a certain mindset to begin with....and it is that mindset that drives all immigrants.

Its a mindset where you are keenly aware that nobody owes you sh*t in this new place and you better put in the time and work to make. This mindset is what serves the vast majority of immigrants well.

J

Juan Dan

opti you have some good treds yet there is very little of an intellectual element left....
low class hoodrats fought my brilliance and now deserted himix.....
yet keep on making nice treds I can read....

bktrini305

in the UK the worry is about white boys. they seem to be doing the worst in school these days which means eventually they'll be the poorest.

TTCLIFEMEMBER

everyday working man
You say that as if Black Immigrants didn't have a pivotal role in the Civil Rights movement as well, as if Malcolm X, Louis Farrakhan, Shirley Chisholm, WEB DuBois, Marcus Garvey and Stokley Carmichael didn't exist. West Indian immigrants and their descendants have been in the US since the 19th century and have always been involved in Black activism.

Not to rant or anything but I hate when people try to portray Black immigrants as opportunists who only took advantage of the struggles of Black Americans, we were there fighting as well and always have been.
Malcolm X, Shirley Chisholm, Farrakhan & W.E.B. DuBois are not black immigrants. They are Americans with Caribbean heritage. And, if they were ordinary people who went back to the Caribbean to live, "their people" would not acknowledge their Caribbean heritage and call them Americans. The only reason the Caribbean even acknowledges their heritages is because they are known names in America.

Second, I'm not saying that there were no Caribbean people in the Civil Rights. Of course there were and their legacy is to be respected to the fullest. At the same time, black Americans were the majority of the blacks fighting for civil rights in the U.S. at that time for the simple reason that they were the majority of the blacks in the U.S.

Also, from what I've seen from a number of the newer freshwater Caribbean immigrants here in Toronto, they are opportunists who benefit from the struggles of black Canadians here and have no respect for it. The older generation of people who came here as adults in the 70s, 80s and even early 90s have more respect for the struggles of black Canadians (even though black Canadians were the minority) because those Caribbean immigrants had to struggle themselves when they got here. When I'd meet some of these freshwater Caribbeans who came around in the 2000s to present, especially if they were younger than 30, they don't know anything about the struggles of the blacks in Canada and they don't care. They even look down on black Canadians. Africans do this too.

So, take this in. Unlike Canada, black Americans were and still are the black majority in the U.S. and they were the majority of the black masses in the U.S. that fought for black rights. And then, decades later, you have freshwater Caribbean and African people coming to the U.S., succeeding and then creating tension with black Americans by talking about how much more successful they are despite the fact that they are immigrants. I'm not saying that black Americans don't say dumb sh1t too but I know there are Caribbean and African immigrants who talk like this. To me, the Caribbean and African immigrants who do this are just opportunists who have no real respect for the struggles that blacks went through in order for them to get the opportunities they have in the U.S.

SKBai1991

Malcolm X, Shirley Chisholm, Farrakhan & W.E.B. DuBois are not black immigrants. They are Americans with Caribbean heritage. And, if they were ordinary people who went back to the Caribbean to live, "their people" would not acknowledge their Caribbean heritage and call them Americans. The only reason the Caribbean even acknowledges their heritages is because they are known names in America.

Second, I'm not saying that there were no Caribbean people in the Civil Rights. Of course there were and their legacy is to be respected to the fullest. At the same time, black Americans were the majority of the blacks fighting for civil rights in the U.S. at that time for the simple reason that they were the majority of the blacks in the U.S.

Also, from what I've seen from a number of the newer freshwater Caribbean immigrants here in Toronto, they are opportunists who benefit from the struggles of black Canadians here and have no respect for it. The older generation of people who came here as adults in the 70s, 80s and even early 90s have more respect for the struggles of black Canadians (even though black Canadians were the minority) because those Caribbean immigrants had to struggle themselves when they got here. When I'd meet some of these freshwater Caribbeans who came around in the 2000s to present, especially if they were younger than 30, they don't know anything about the struggles of the blacks in Canada and they don't care. They even look down on black Canadians. Africans do this too.

So, take this in. Unlike Canada, black Americans were and still are the black majority in the U.S. and they were the majority of the black masses in the U.S. that fought for black rights. And then, decades later, you have freshwater Caribbean and African people coming to the U.S., succeeding and then creating tension with black Americans by talking about how much more successful they are despite the fact that they are immigrants. I'm not saying that black Americans don't say dumb sh1t too but I know there are Caribbean and African immigrants who talk like this. To me, the Caribbean and African immigrants who do this are just opportunists who have no real respect for the struggles that blacks went through in order for them to get the opportunities they have in the U.S.
TL/DR. Learn fu use bullet points mehson.

bktrini305

Malcolm X and Shirley Chisholm fall into the type of west indian the article is talking about actually. 2nd gen West Indians, from W.I. households. Chisholm, without her bajan mother and GT father, even lived in Barbados for a part of her childhood I believe.
And Malcolm's mother actually went mad partially due to the hopelessness she felt in contrast to her great education (Guyana had a great education system at one point. it was like the best in the West Indies)

Both would have had quite a right to identify with their respective west indian backgrounds and would have been recognized as west indian had they gone back.
(as Chisholm did to BIM to live with her grandmother.)