Black Kids Learning Math

Ras_Apache

I think that article is off target and is chatting beer fockry. We need to go back to the basic 3 r's and forget the common core nonsense. Kids nowadays don't know basic match and can't read. We spend too much time trying to adjust the curriculum around what we think the student will be engaging and useful only to leave out the key to success...the 3 r's and discipline!

If the guy that wrote this article is smart enough to have a valid opinion on education why not teach our students the same way the he was taught?

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
I think that article is off target and is chatting beer fockry. We need to go back to the basic 3 r's and forget the common core nonsense. Kids nowadays don't know basic match and can't read. We spend too much time trying to adjust the curriculum around what we think the student will be engaging and useful only to leave out the key to success...the 3 r's and discipline!

If the guy that wrote this article is smart enough to have a valid opinion on education why not teach our students the same way the he was taught?
Who's fault is that though? If parents took more time to supplement what the children are doing in school then the results would improve. My son last year was inconsistent moreso because of his own devices. We made sure to work with him everyday and all the parents of 3rd graders came together and organized tutoring for the whole grade. Not sure what the overall results were but my son obliterated that test. Far too often we have a defeatist attitude that filters into our children. If we are to teach children that they can accomplish anything, then we have to be able to show them that we are willing to see them through even if it means sacrificing whatever free time is available to do so.

Ras_Apache

Who's fault is that though? If parents took more time to supplement what the children are doing in school then the results would improve. My son last year was inconsistent moreso because of his own devices. We made sure to work with him everyday and all the parents of 3rd graders came together and organized tutoring for the whole grade. Not sure what the overall results were but my son obliterated that test. Far too often we have a defeatist attitude that filters into our children. If we are to teach children that they can accomplish anything, then we have to be able to show them that we are willing to see them through even if it means sacrificing whatever free time is available to do so.
I agree with you....BUT....should it be the parents responsibility to come together and organize tutoring for their kids or should the school be enough of a resource for the kids to succeed

Personally I think schools should stop making things as easy as possible for the students and force the kids to share in the reponsibilty of becoming educated.

bktrini305

Sidenote: Yo IBM really understands what it needs to do long term. I can't think of a company that does more to stay in this country than they.

One of the biggest reasons for that lack of interest is that students have been turned off to the subjects as they move from kindergarten to high school. Many are being taught by teachers who have no particular expertise in the subjects. They are following outdated curriculums and textbooks. They become convinced they’re “no good at math,” that math and science are only for nerds, and fall behind.
I feel this story really personally because while I was never a bad student (probably due to constant threat of serious licks) I grew up feeling like I was shit at math. But never felt like my analytical and factual skills (which is what math and science are) lacked. So I chose the social sciences, which is what a lot of the "smart" kids do, its a lot of reading, a lot of facts, and not too much math and most of it is statistics (easy shit). I almost finished an anthropology degree before switching to Industrial Engineering (after my core classes, the anthropology was interesting but it was increasingly palpable how useless it was to any sort of attainable career).

It was as a 21 year old adult that I decided that the only reason I was never good at math was because in Florida where I grew up, a teacher isn't any kind of pedagogical expert, nor is he or she an expert in their subject. And the fact that I didn't now how to say certain science words in English didn't help (yes it's parts of Miami that are that Cuban, I would say the majority).

Physics is the most difficult Hard Science to learn at the college level. And it is from experience in a basic Engineering Physics class that I can tell anyone and everyone that this is true:

That’s because the American system of teaching these subjects is broken. For all the reform campaigns over the years, most schools continue to teach math and science in an off-putting way that appeals only to the most fervent students.

Take engineering, for example, a field that pays well and needs ever more workers. Most high school students say they have no interest in the subject. That’s largely because few of them ever encounter it: Only 3 percent of graduates have taken an engineering course.
There are no word problems in high school, you don't learn any vector analysis, and not enough people take analysis of functions to be able to do well in calculus to name a few flaws in math. Reading and writing to convey factual information has given way to "write what you think about x,y, and z topic in the world" (not knocking the importance of that type of writing but you have to do some GRE style stuff too man).

The combination of curriculum and fake professionals made it an extreme jump for me personally to do the "easiest" type of engineering. After doing Kinematics (the physics of large-body movement) twice, and scraping a C in chemistry, I got the hang of science courses and in hindsight I KINDA wish I had done applied physics (those n!ggas bank and their graduate degrees are all paid, as in the school give YOU a wage).

I feel I should have been more prepared. And I don't think it was fair to make it my responsibility to prepare myself at age 16 for what most people should encounter at age 20. It's either I have a right to basic education or I don't.

SKBai1991

American education is trash, plain and simple. This country emphasises nonsense while simultaneously excluding and alienating children of Colour and leaving EVERYONE unprepared and lacking basic tools to succeed. Last year I taught an intro to Physics course and was FLOORED by how poor the students were at basic arithmetic and maths, and this was at a nationally ranked school. It's downright appalling how little students actually learn and how inflated grades are nowadays.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
I agree with you....BUT....should it be the parents responsibility to come together and organize tutoring for their kids or should the school be enough of a resource for the kids to succeed

Personally I think schools should stop making things as easy as possible for the students and force the kids to share in the reponsibilty of becoming educated.
I don't really care about that question because to me as a parent once you recognize something being off then you need to spring into action. My son's school sent home a letter basically saying the entire grade might fail. To me I saw that as they ketchin dey ass with this new common core thing and letting parents know "aye we need allyuh to help us" and I am ok with that. In the end I look at it as helping my child to better understand the material as well as give him his best chance (given the circumstances) to succeed. I am not putting the onus on children to do more because that should not be their responsibility. Parents have to keep aware of whats going on and need to take action when necessary to ensure that their children are actually being educated. We also need to make sure and advocate for our children when teachers doing nonsense so that they know your child is not an island and they actually have supposrt that willing to hold people accountable.

SKBai1991

I don't really care about that question because to me as a parent once you recognize something being off then you need to spring into action. My son's school sent home a letter basically saying the entire grade might fail. To me I saw that as they ketchin dey ass with this new common core thing and letting parents know "aye we need allyuh to help us" and I am ok with that. In the end I look at it as helping my child to better understand the material as well as give him his best chance (given the circumstances) to succeed. I am not putting the onus on children to do more because that should not be their responsibility. Parents have to keep aware of whats going on and need to take action when necessary to ensure that their children are actually being educated. We also need to make sure and advocate for our children when teachers doing nonsense so that they know your child is not an island and they actually have supposrt that willing to hold people accountable.
But not everyone has parents who are equipped to help their children with their homework. In MANY cases the parents are unable to help because they either 1. Aren't educated themselves or 2. don't speak English and cannot navigate the American educational system as well.

If you come from a culture where 100% of your grade is determined by the marks on your exam, you won't understand why your son who gets 90's and above on the exams is failing school because of behaviour problems. If your highest educational attainment was 6th grade and you haven't done algebra or anything beyond basic arithmetic in maths, you're not going to be in a position to fill in the gaps for your kid, and if you come from a culture where the teacher is always right, you're not going to realise when you child's teacher is slacking off or doing a substandard job. Parents are a big part of the problem but some things you simply cannot help.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
I think this calypso might help folks in this thread realise that their is great mathematical potential in almost every child. Take a listen to Dictator about the genius of his mathematical brother.

Dictator - Mathematical Brother (1955)
<iframe width="540" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/per47pPg_mk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The last verse is the best when Dictator says:
John Brown was 83, he married Annabela she was just 20
He died from mathematics trying to see, how often 83 could go in 20.
:kicks

TOLOMB

Red Man
But not everyone has parents who are equipped to help their children with their homework. In MANY cases the parents are unable to help because they either 1. Aren't educated themselves or 2. don't speak English and cannot navigate the American educational system as well.

If you come from a culture where 100% of your grade is determined by the marks on your exam, you won't understand why your son who gets 90's and above on the exams is failing school because of behaviour problems. If your highest educational attainment was 6th grade and you haven't done algebra or anything beyond basic arithmetic in maths, you're not going to be in a position to fill in the gaps for your kid, and if you come from a culture where the teacher is always right, you're not going to realise when you child's teacher is slacking off or doing a substandard job. Parents are a big part of the problem but some things you simply cannot help.
You hit the nail on the head sir.

bktrini305

this video seems to include an interesting solution to that problem

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HsdFi8zMrYI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and this video includes problems similar to many of those you were talking about

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SDs4gr0pYrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alpha Unit

Insurgent

I come from one such environment and yet I understand. I do realize I may not be the norm tho so I hear what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree. Is not a great system by any stretch and parents whom are not as fortunate as me and my wife are, are virtually over a barrel because if they themselves can't help then they either need to find the right resources or their child is literally screwed.