Black women’s culture to be studied for military suicide prevention

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Black women’s culture of social support to be studied for prevention of military suicides

by Alexis Garrett Stodghill | June 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Veterans Affairs officials have announced that studying the uniquely supportive culture of black women might provide a key to addressing the spike in suicides occurring in the armed forces. According to the Los Angeles Times, “Suicides among U.S. military members have spiked this year, with an average of one suicide a day — the highest rate so far during a decade of war in Iraq and Afghanistan.” MSNBC reports that this is an 18 percent increase in military suicides compared to last year.

While the government does not break down military suicides according to race, among the general population African-American women have the lowest suicide rate of any group. Surprisingly, white men die most often by their own hand. “The suicide rate among white men was 25.96 per 100,000 from 2005 to 2009, according to the Centerns for Disease Control and Prevention,” related Government Executive magazine in its piece on studying black women to reduce soldier suicides. “By comparison, the rate for black women was less than three suicides per 100,000.”

Veterans Affairs mental health director for suicide prevention, Jan Kemp, told the publication that the specific social qualities black women exhibit will be examined by her group to determine how they might be applied for military personnel. Desirable features of how African-American women relate include open and honest communication, strong social support, and positive encouragement.

“The sense of community among themselves, and the … built-in support that they get from each other is something we’re paying a lot of attention to, and trying to find ways to emulate,” Kemp told Government Executive. “I think often that veterans and men don’t have that same sort of personal support, and we have to build that for them.”

Facets of black women’s intensely loyal communities were glimpsed in a recent Washington Post story that focuses on how we are faring. This in-depth article elaborates on the findings of the most extensive poll concerning black women to date. The ladies featured are positive, resilient, and dedicated to helping each other thrive with full awareness of the pervasive stereotypes and depressing statistics threatening their sense of efficacy.

The Washington Post/Kaiser Family Foundation poll detailed found that 67 percent of black women describe themselves as having high self-esteem, as opposed to only 43 percent of white women — among other surprising facts that demonstrate that black women maintain their self-esteem regardless of circumstances.

The main question that the Post story fails to answer is: why? Why do black women have better emotional outcomes than both white men and women in the differing areas of suicide and self-esteem? Kemp and her colleagues will need to know how black women have survived the “double burden” of female and racial oppression if this incredible coping ability is to be transferred to soldiers.

Black women’s culture of social support to be studied for prevention of military suicides | theGrio

Another article on the matter:
Black Women Key to Easing Military Suicides? - Stephanie Czekalinski - NationalJournal.com

Black women’s culture of social support to be studied for prevention of military suicides

by Alexis Garrett Stodghill | June 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Veterans Affairs officials have announced that studying the uniquely supportive culture of black women might provide a key to addressing the spike in suicides occurring in the armed forces. According to the Los Angeles Times, “Suicides among U.S. military members have spiked this year, with an average of one suicide a day — the highest rate so far during a decade of war in Iraq and Afghanistan.” MSNBC reports that this is an 18 percent increase in military suicides compared to last year.

While the government does not break down military suicides according to race, among the general population African-American women have the lowest suicide rate of any group. Surprisingly, white men die most often by their own hand. “The suicide rate among white men was 25.96 per 100,000 from 2005 to 2009, according to the Centerns for Disease Control and Prevention,” related Government Executive magazine in its piece on studying black women to reduce soldier suicides. “By comparison, the rate for black women was less than three suicides per 100,000.”

Veterans Affairs mental health director for suicide prevention, Jan Kemp, told the publication that the specific social qualities black women exhibit will be examined by her group to determine how they might be applied for military personnel. Desirable features of how African-American women relate include open and honest communication, strong social support, and positive encouragement.

“The sense of community among themselves, and the … built-in support that they get from each other is something we’re paying a lot of attention to, and trying to find ways to emulate,” Kemp told Government Executive. “I think often that veterans and men don’t have that same sort of personal support, and we have to build that for them.”

Facets of black women’s intensely loyal communities were glimpsed in a recent Washington Post story that focuses on how we are faring. This in-depth article elaborates on the findings of the most extensive poll concerning black women to date. The ladies featured are positive, resilient, and dedicated to helping each other thrive with full awareness of the pervasive stereotypes and depressing statistics threatening their sense of efficacy.

The Washington Post/Kaiser Family Foundation poll detailed found that 67 percent of black women describe themselves as having high self-esteem, as opposed to only 43 percent of white women among other surprising facts that demonstrate that black women maintain their self-esteem regardless of circumstances.

The main question that the Post story fails to answer is: why? Why do black women have better emotional outcomes than both white men and women in the differing areas of suicide and self-esteem? Kemp and her colleagues will need to know how black women have survived the “double burden” of female and racial oppression if this incredible coping ability is to be transferred to soldiers.

Black women’s culture of social support to be studied for prevention of military suicides | theGrio

Another article on the matter:
Black Women Key to Easing Military Suicides? - Stephanie Czekalinski - NationalJournal.com
Those 2 paragraphs stands out to me. We(Black Women) have always been strong through it all. It's actually amazing to me as well.

Nica

SAINTSational
Black women have endured hardship for centuries and have been bred to endure and carry the troubles off many.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
I find the study very interesting, particularly the hope to find better ways to address suicide in the military.

How does one replicate this attitude toward life & the sense of community characteristic of women of African descent, particularly African-Americans, when the culture(s) is born of such a unique experience?

Again, this should be quite interesting.

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
not surprised they're trying to figure out 'the secret' yet something else they're trying to steal from us, harness and abuse... I'm just wonder seriously how they gonna replicate this to even be effective.
*shrug*

I find the study very interesting, particularly the hope to find better ways to address suicide in the military.

How does one replicate this attitude toward life & the sense of community characteristic of women of African descent, particularly African-Americans, when the culture(s) is born of such a unique experience?

Again, this should be quite interesting.
not surprised they're trying to figure out 'the secret' yet something else they're trying to steal from us, harness and abuse... I'm just wonder seriously how they gonna replicate this to even be effective.
*shrug*
that's one thing of black people that they can't emulate, or replicate....

hard luck there....

Why don't they study the Jews as well? They have gone through hardships in the past and were able to stick and support each other to build themselves to where they are...i mean i don't know how strong emotionally they are, but they certainly are a strong group as well...

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
probably have some kinda peer group thing... black women throughout time have been the backbone of their communities... they have to raise their children, take care of their elders, support their men and still get the things they have to do, done... and it often comes with great risk to their health and emotional well being... black women are often the victims of abuse, sexual , mental, physical, yet find a way to triumph over it, broken but still present... and often it is this brokenness that makes itself visible in the choices that they sometimes make.. it's remarkable how they keep going.. why? because when you've been through it, the only way to survive is to keep going... and to me, most black women wouldnt try to commit suicide like that because there's always the thought that they'd be leaving kids behind without a mother, parents behind with no caretaker etc.. and the Church aint gonna look on that sorta thing too well because let's face it... for a lot of black people, women especially.. when you are in any kind of trouble, God is your sanctuary..

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Why don't they study the Jews as well? They have gone through hardships in the past and were able to stick and support each other to build themselves to where they are...i mean i don't know how strong emotionally they are, but they certainly are a strong group as well...
Jews were literally given land/country, reparations and ppl/countries still apologizing to this day.

Nica

SAINTSational
probably have some kinda peer group thing... black women throughout time have been the backbone of their communities... they have to raise their children, take care of their elders, support their men and still get the things they have to do, done... and it often comes with great risk to their health and emotional well being... black women are often the victims of abuse, sexual , mental, physical, yet find a way to triumph over it, broken but still present... and often it is this brokenness that makes itself visible in the choices that they sometimes make.. it's remarkable how they keep going.. why? because when you've been through it, the only way to survive is to keep going... and to me, most black women wouldnt try to commit suicide like that because there's always the thought that they'd be leaving kids behind without a mother, parents behind with no caretaker etc.. and the Church aint gonna look on that sorta thing too well because let's face it... for a lot of black people, women especially.. when you are in any kind of trouble, God is your sanctuary..
truth

TC

Steuuuupssss!
Yeah, we've been bred tougher oui! I've been through some episodes where other women of other "races" told me flat that uf they'd gone through that, they'd have committed suicide!

B

Black Madonna

mmmmm. might simply be because we have no other choice
Why do black women have better emotional outcomes than both white men and women in the differing areas of suicide and self-esteem?

Poca

can we really call it self-esteem when someone constantly accepts all the ills thrown at her whether she deserves them or not and just constantly turns the other cheek?

TC

Steuuuupssss!
I really believe it's because we have centuries long examples of women enduring extreme hardship and surviving why we believe we can do it to.

Other races didn't really have this example century after century.

iPicong

not sure if this should be viewed as flattering...........but in any case its just smoke and mirrors because they know why military people are committing higher rates of suicide......its so easy even a caveman can figure it out without studying black women

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
i think women in general are bred to self sacrifice and couch it as "love"... taught that we are selfish if we dont do for others all the time