Black women’s culture to be studied for military suicide prevention

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
i think women in general are bred to self sacrifice and couch it as "love"... taught that we are selfish if we dont do for others all the time
Yup. A man/father can go run up and dong whole day, wife may quarrel but he will not be scorned. Woman go by hairdresser or go hang wid the girls more than once a week. Is all kinda oh she neglecting her kids, she should have known not to have children if she wanna run the streets...blah blah blah.

Poca

thays is because a lot of women still think that putting other women down in order for themselves to appear better is still a good thing.

Yup. A man/father can go run up and dong whole day, wife may quarrel but he will not be scorned. Woman go by hairdresser or go hang wid the girls more than once a week. Is all kinda oh she neglecting her kids, she should have known not to have children if she wanna run the streets...blah blah blah.

Poca

meaning that women are usually the one who judge each other very harshly often time unnecessarily.

Ananci_7

very interesting....
How interesting indeed

Considering that this is one of the same traits of African/African-American/Afri-Caribbean feminine culture that has been routinely demeaned in many writings, posts and on talk shows.

Like the Feminist Movement in times before, we have an African model when it seems everything else is failing to deal with sow societal problem. When are we going to have the self-belief to do it ourselves I wonder?

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
I have known this statistic for a long time. I think of it when black men or whites are insulting black women.

I agree with what some people have already said.

The reasons we don't kill ourselves when black men and white women and white men (especially) and Asians do are many.

They include the fact that many black women have some sort of religious belief (even the streggeh gal yuh see whoring down yuh block) that does not support suicide. This is minor but I have heard people mention it.

We are taught that we have to suffer and that we should expect to suffer. We see mothers/aunts/grandmothers working hard and being treated badly by men and suffering through daily life and it seems normal. I don't mean that all black women see the females around them mistreated. I just mean that the "black woman experience" is not good. Even if your life is OK, the "normal" black woman lives her life as a daily fight or a daily compromise. We expect to have to settle for everything.

Someone said that this is not a good statistic. Of course it is good that we don't kill ourselves like BM, WM, WW, Asians, etc. do but I agree with that person in part because the REASONS that we are so strong are not good....

N

NaturalBornRidah

I don't like what this report is implying, its like saying an Asian Woman/Man and White Woman/Man can endure any kind of abuse since a black woman is scorned and is society's equivalent of a piñata, so what does that tell you of how many people perceive black woman in their minds,some of you guys do your best to fulfill the stereotype.Take a step back and think about it.