Caribana 2015.......

DerMonger

What a mediocre overall experience. Just finished up at carnival rehab, probably the highlight of the weekend.

Just wanted to get it off my chest, be back.

DerMonger

Thursday - I didn't want to skip work to go to Soca or Die that afternoon. I heard that fete was great, Lord willing will go next year.

Friday - Family arrived and a Trini friend bought tickets for his family from NYC and said lets go to Jab Jab J'ouvert in Downsview WORST experience...... EVER! They stormed the gate....women were getting trampled against barricades by these animals. Security was so overwhelmed they just let everyone in even without tickets.

Get in the fete and people parked outside in their cars had a better sound system than what was on stage. You had to move up to the stage to hear whatever they were saying which killed the vibes overall. And oh yeah I forgot..... NO ALCOHOL served the entire night!!

Some guys were stupidly scaling a 15 foot fence to get in. Horrible venue for a fete, people couldn't even find the place. I heard J'ouvert in Scarborough wasn't anything good either, although I'm sure it wasn't as crazy as the other J'ouvert.

CONT'd....

DerMonger

The parade:

So about 12 of us reach there around 3pm (none of my visiting family or my Trini HS buddies family has any interest in playing mas, he and his family refuse to water it down n only want the "rhell ting" in TT), walk over the Gardiner Expressway the enter the parade route as usual, except.....

.....this year unbeknownst to us and many others they erected a barricade and were charging $20 bucks a person to enter as if it were a club. Whoa!!!! Much of the route had these high fences with cops allowing few restricted personnel through to open on occasion. Good luck using the washroom once you're inside the route n not playing mas,lol.

Many people were standing there cursing n fuming at this unexpected surprise. Maybe it's a way to deter stormers blocking masqueraders on the route (or IMHO its a cash grab) because they were still there anyways. I was ready to go home.

People were paying and the highlight of my day, lil bro all 6'5" 320lbs of him says what the general consensus is thinking...."Fock this I ain't paying no $20.00 for something I been attending free for years" just barges through everyone and walks up to the gate and the security and cops see this big assed muscular hulk standing over them as he gently brushes between 2 security guards to enter and they proceed to do nothing. Everyone else joins in, in a orderly manner lmao!!

We never even made it on to lakeshore, I think they shortened the route this year and you go around twice in a band. I don't think the judging is in the stadium anymore. I'm sure people playing mas had fun though. I grabbed a cutie or two for some fun on the road, but once it got close to the judging area, non masqueraders backed away and let them do their thing. I think having the high fences helped them here, not having as many to usher off the street.

Lucianite

Haven't been there in ages ( feels like)

Never been inside the stadium ...just hang on lakeshore drive
so you saying there is a fence along lakeshore drive ?

dedetriniking

couldn't make it this year but sounds like major changes between last year and this year. All this additional security definitely benefits the masquerader but sours things for the observer...especially people like Dermonger who likes to get in there and mix it up in civilian clothers.

I'm sure i'll be making the trip again in the future given life and health. That lakeshore venue is simply perfect for a parade as far as i'm concerned.

trinifrombx

Smh, outside of you, Digga, Pineman , lucianite, and a few others, we have a lot of folks going and none of them willing to share or point out the pros and cons of these carnivals, it is sad !

A bunch of uptight folks, they serve no purpose here !

Anyway, thanks for the details !

All these carnivals are the same, go one you go all. Don't waste your money or time folks. Lots more to do in life. I will only accommodate carnival if visiting somewhere but won't make that the center of my purpose.

trinifrombx

All these carnivals are the same, go one you go all. Don't waste your money or time folks. Lots more to do in life. I will only accommodate carnival if visiting somewhere but won't make that the center of my purpose.
SMH, Fags and Prick "suckers " like you crack me up !

We don't give a shit about you are your opinion, when since you into We Ting, if your Bi fag self hve no interest, dont post, skip it or go make your own Pride & Shiteaters posts, simple as abc !

DerMonger

Haven't been there in ages ( feels like)

Never been inside the stadium ...just hang on lakeshore drive
so you saying there is a fence along lakeshore drive ?
This is the first Caribana since they moved the route from downtown in '91 that I never stepped foot on Lakeshore. I'm not saying its not possible, but we didn't venture there. We didn't come in from that side. It felt very weird.

They were doing the judging in front of the TFC soccer stadium instead of inside exhibition place. It doesn't happen in there anymore.

The fencing circles the entire route I saw and its about 11 feet tall now and difficult to climb. The previous barricades were too easy for the crowd to manipulate.

If you're not a masquerader there's nothing on the route for you outside of dancing with the odd masquerader and following the trucks. There were less vendors than ever selling food/drinks, they're in organized areas along the route. No portable bathrooms whatsoever lining the route either.....don't even ask me how I went to relieve myself but i did, lol.

I guess I understand with the new way its organized they have to look out for the masqueraders first n foremost that pay $. Compared to past years, I never heard musicians or DJs pleading with the "stormers" to get out the way or threatening to stop the music.

So a big + to the organization part of it......just from now on it should be known, don't expect to come to Caribana whatever time of day you feel without costume and expect to wild out. Since the "line" is really just 100s of people crammed in no orderly fashion, it's a headache just to pay your $20 to enter....unless you're my brother lol.

DerMonger

couldn't make it this year but sounds like major changes between last year and this year. All this additional security definitely benefits the masquerader but sours things for the observer...especially people like Dermonger who likes to get in there and mix it up in civilian clothers.

I'm sure i'll be making the trip again in the future given life and health. That lakeshore venue is simply perfect for a parade as far as i'm concerned.
Well I must say I didn't even know these "radical" changes that were made til I showed up. I'm glad you find it appealing.

It's easy to curse, rant and rave at the way its set up when you're not involved in anything planning wise for Caribana. Last year a stormer got run over and killed by a truck, so I think they said enough is enough. I've done Caribana enough to know there's only so much maddness you can experience at it.

I was mostly infuriated by J'ouvert Friday night, just killed meh vibes for the rest of the weekend. I'm a big man, and I remember being 20-21 like a lot of these yutes once and going to the Spektakula Sheraton hotel fetes downtown in the 90s and it was such a nice atmosphere and everyone of different age groups young mostly were well behaved.

I didn't even go to Machel Saturday night, when everyone else did at WIld Water Kingdom, wasn't willing to risk that again. Thankfully I heard it went smoothly (although last year at Machel they rushed the door,lol).

And I do not recommend these boat cruises they have during Caribana. I predict some major disaster happening someday. The same 3-4 boats are overworked all July. I met a guy from HS who went on one Sunday at 12pm....the engine blew in the middle of the Lake!! 500+ people cursing, crammed together and demanding to go back to land. A tugboat came hours later. They got back alright......at 1230am Monday morning!!

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
What a mediocre overall experience. Just finished up at carnival rehab, probably the highlight of the weekend.

Just wanted to get it off my chest, be back.
Lol, man, enjoy it for what it is.......but I hear you, so you saying we wouldn't be able to jump over anymore ? Lol.

Wanted to come up, but, for one hour flight, $500, nah.

But, thanks for the info and the heads up !

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Well I must say I didn't even know these "radical" changes that were made til I showed up. I'm glad you find it appealing.

It's easy to curse, rant and rave at the way its set up when you're not involved in anything planning wise for Caribana. Last year a stormer got run over and killed by a truck, so I think they said enough is enough. I've done Caribana enough to know there's only so much maddness you can experience at it.

I was mostly infuriated by J'ouvert Friday night, just killed meh vibes for the rest of the weekend. I'm a big man, and I remember being 20-21 like a lot of these yutes once and going to the Spektakula Sheraton hotel fetes downtown in the 90s and it was such a nice atmosphere and everyone of different age groups young mostly were well behaved.

I didn't even go to Machel Saturday night, when everyone else did at WIld Water Kingdom, wasn't willing to risk that again. Thankfully I heard it went smoothly (although last year at Machel they rushed the door,lol).

And I do not recommend these boat cruises they have during Caribana. I predict some major disaster happening someday. The same 3-4 boats are overworked all July. I met a guy from HS who went on one Sunday at 12pm....the engine blew in the middle of the Lake!! 500+ people cursing, crammed together and demanding to go back to land. A tugboat came hours later. They got back alright......at 1230am Monday morning!!

Come on bro, you serious..don't tell me that, that is one of the few events I take part in up there....boat rides......12 hours, huh, so wait, they don't have a rescue plan in place ?

triniochun

So sad to hear...Caribana was THE highlight of the year for me for many years - played mas several times, took my kids when they were small....I too remember those great fetes back in the day Der Monger -- nicest vibes, nothing like that again. Haven't been to Caribana in a few years, don't miss it and I guess it is for good good reason.
RIP Caribana.

DerMonger

So sad to hear...Caribana was THE highlight of the year for me for many years - played mas several times, took my kids when they were small....I too remember those great fetes back in the day Der Monger -- nicest vibes, nothing like that again. Haven't been to Caribana in a few years, don't miss it and I guess it is for good good reason.
RIP Caribana.
I'll be honest, if I don't have visiting family I do not attend. I only try to be a gracious host. That was my first time in 5 years.

And now that I do know the new set up, if I do next year I VOW to picket the parade!!!

I am extremely upset at the new format of the parade. These corporate big wig fockers in suits have some nerve, and the community as a whole should take a stand against it. Instead what you're gonna hear is: "oh pay yuh $$ and play mas".

These gays and lesbians (not starting a discussion on their lifestyle choices), revellers and spectators are allowed to roam freely through the streets at Pride only a month earlier than Caribana. Is St. Patricks day parade barricaded?

But when it comes to West Indians that wish to openly express their culture and lifestyle they have us caged up like a pack of animals? Because in reality, they take all the $ it brings in, but that's what they really consider us inside despite all their smiles on TV......animals that should be held on a leash.

That goes against the spirit of what a Caribbean themed carnival is about. I would NEVER spend a single nickel to travel from another city/country to be subjected to such treatment.