Changing accents

Kamasutra

MLO, CTA 4 LIFE
My supervisor dis boi cracks me up when he talks to us is like ..What's up bro...yoo yoo...that whole ghetto slang but as soon as any...white supervisor comes around or speak to him...u swear that he caucasian by his talk...i guess it's similar when we talk to someone from the islands and talking to an american with a different slang...

ILuvSoca

Soca Lover
I do it too, and so does my mother...When im in school I talk differently but when im around my friends and parents I speak normal with a accent.

chocolaesha

Same here--Accent w/ friends and family --and when I am out it is different because I talk fast w/ my accent and most of the times I am too tired to repeat what I just said ---------

Kamasutra

MLO, CTA 4 LIFE
chocolaesha said:
Same here--Accent w/ friends and family --and when I am out it is different because I talk fast w/ my accent and most of the times I am too tired to repeat what I just said ---------
What even funnier is when some american friends ask me to translate a soca or reggae song for dem in plain english..

trinipetty

Head Gone!
Yup- You have to switch from your accent to speak so called proper at the workplace. It is a must....Society-that is just how it is....When my mom calls my job and I don't bother to look at my caller-id, and I answer she does ask "eh is this you? You sound like a true white woman gyal"

JaSocaLuva

De Soca'Robics Instructor
Same here...

It took me a while to realize I do the same thing. At work, I'm proper to the point where ppl have no idea where I'm from. When I'm home or talking to family, the accent comes out.

Kamasutra

MLO, CTA 4 LIFE
Re: Same here...

JaSocaLuva said:
It took me a while to realize I do the same thing. At work, I'm proper to the point where ppl have no idea where I'm from. When I'm home or talking to family, the accent comes out.
What worst is when i get mad or in an argument which is rarely :D ....work, family wherever the accent come out big and bold...

UpTown

We Not I
Please !!!!!!!!!!!! not me , they love my West Indian accent at work , I'm not changing for nobody , I speak English and that's the only thing that matters ....