China

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
I am hoping to make it to Beijing for a family trip maybe in 14 or 15 and I'm "concerned" about racism because my mother is very sensitive.

I have read/heard about so much Chinese racism. Is it really that bad?
MY BROTHER has been to CHINA about 6 TIMES in the PAST TWO YEARS and he has NEVER ENCOUNTERED RACISM.

Poca

No I did not grow up in the states nor I lived there. I think that some learn to brush it out easier and ignore it better than others. But to say that it's not present is wearing blindfolds.

Did you grow up in the USA? If so I am sure you grew up hearing persons different experiences when it came to race relations etc. Persons that grow up in a country where the majority of persons are the same like them don't have the same experience of race in my opinion as compared to a person who is a minority in another country.

Therefore when persons venture to these other countries where they are in the minority they do not go around thinking about someone being racist to them unless it is blatant. I mean I have friends studying in China and they all love it. Plus people confuse prejudice with racism. Everybody has their own prejudices about other people whether they are of the same race or not. Same way some africans behave negative to african americans or african americans to caribbean or caribbean to africans etc. So like I said if a persons worries about whether someone is going to be racist to them chances are they are going to meet such people.

I mean I went to mexico with a group of persons and we got stares everywhere we went. I even had people run up to me to take pictures with me and touch my hair. Did I think they were racist? no. I mean me and the girls even went into this one store and this man followed us everywhere. I thought it was annoying but i didn't think he was racist maybe prejudice or curious but not racist. In fact when we got up at the cashier the same man told us how beautiful we were and he loved to see us and blah blah blah. I don't worry about persons being racist to me because as long as they don't physically hurt me I don't mind.

So yeah Americans worry too much about race.

femmeayitienne

***//\\***
Incident Report:

On Tuesday morning as I was heading to Beida Fuzhong school, I was approached my a police office and asked to render my passport. This same police officer has stopped me two times before and I have cooperated with him each time. On this occassion, he saw me coming from down the street and start to shout, “STOP!!! STOP!!!” I was not running or in a rush. It was about 10:00am and my first class is schedule for 10:30am. I was relatively on time. Even as I tried to get my passport out of my bag, he kept asking me, "What are you doing?" and I told him, "My passport is in my bag." As I was looking for my passport, he called for back up and two other officers ran behind up me. I showed him my passport, he looked at it quickly and threw it back to me. I began walking towards the school and he pulled me by the hood of my jacket and yelled at me to show him my visa. I told him my visa was in my passport. By this point, I was running out of time to make it to my lesson on time. He was speaking Chinese to the other officers and I walked into the school building. The officers stood at the school gate and spoke to the school security guards at the school.
The same officer has stopped me 3 times in the past 2 months. I didn’t think this would be a major issue, since I have been fully cooperating with the same law enforcement officer but this week he was particularly forceful, yelling and trying to keep me away from the school. I am not offended or hurt by his behavior because it is to be expected. I spoke to Sylvie about it the day it happened and have not really thought about it since then. If there is any other question or concern, I am prepared to continue cooperating with the school, the company and the police department to diffuse this situation.

Wadadlineko

No I did not grow up in the states nor I lived there. I think that some learn to brush it out easier and ignore it better than others. But to say that it's not present is wearing blindfolds.
Never said it does not exist. I mostly stressed that persons worry too much about it. I would be crazy to think that racism doesn't exist but that doesn't mean that every where i travel to i am going to be worrying about it. As long as nobody tries to get physical with me then I am good.

Missmayling

My Black azz would be on the next flight out of communist china, if I felt was being targeted.

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Americans visiting or residing in China are advised to take the normal safety precautions travelers take when in any foreign country. Specifically, travelers should remain aware of their surroundings and of events that are happening around them. Travelers should respect local police requirements to avoid travel in some areas. In light of the greatly increased numbers of older Americans traveling to China, U.S. tour operators should check that local guides are familiar with medical facilities and emergency medical evacuation procedures.

American citizens who rent apartments with gas appliances should be aware that, in some areas, natural gas is not scented to warn occupants of gas leaks or concentrations. In addition, heaters may not always be well vented, thereby allowing excess carbon monoxide to build up in living spaces. Due to fatal accidents involving American citizens, travelers are advised to ensure all gas appliances are properly vented or to install gas and carbon monoxide detectors in their residences. These devices are not widely available in China and should be purchased prior to arrival.

Security personnel may at times place foreign visitors under surveillance. Hotel rooms, telephones, and fax machines may be monitored, and personal possessions in hotel rooms, including computers, may be searched without the consent or knowledge of the traveler. Taking photographs of anything that could be perceived as being of military or security interest may result in problems with authorities. Foreign government officials, journalists, and business people with access to advanced proprietary technology are particularly likely to be under surveillance.

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
My Black azz would be on the next flight out of communist china, if I felt was being targeted.

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Americans visiting or residing in China are advised to take the normal safety precautions travelers take when in any foreign country. Specifically, travelers should remain aware of their surroundings and of events that are happening around them. Travelers should respect local police requirements to avoid travel in some areas. In light of the greatly increased numbers of older Americans traveling to China, U.S. tour operators should check that local guides are familiar with medical facilities and emergency medical evacuation procedures.

American citizens who rent apartments with gas appliances should be aware that, in some areas, natural gas is not scented to warn occupants of gas leaks or concentrations. In addition, heaters may not always be well vented, thereby allowing excess carbon monoxide to build up in living spaces. Due to fatal accidents involving American citizens, travelers are advised to ensure all gas appliances are properly vented or to install gas and carbon monoxide detectors in their residences. These devices are not widely available in China and should be purchased prior to arrival.

Security personnel may at times place foreign visitors under surveillance. Hotel rooms, telephones, and fax machines may be monitored, and personal possessions in hotel rooms, including computers, may be searched without the consent or knowledge of the traveler. Taking photographs of anything that could be perceived as being of military or security interest may result in problems with authorities. Foreign government officials, journalists, and business people with access to advanced proprietary technology are particularly likely to be under surveillance.
This actually doesn't bother me. I have been to Israel.

Missmayling

This actually doesn't bother me. I have been to Israel.
Israel is not a communist country, and I have been there

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ggE51myLoSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tfABvy-syzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
I know. I just mean that the security checks and red tape does not bother us. I want to protect my Mom from incidents involving civilian locals.

femmeayitienne

***//\\***
In the Chinese culture there is this shameless idea that Black people (people of African descent) carry an odor as well as an evil dark spirit. So to "protect" themselves --- when a black person walks by them or stands by them some will usually 1. move away 2. call you a 黑鬼 Hei Gwei which means "Black ghost" 3. cover their nose and mouth, I'm assuming this is to keep from ingesting our spirit 4. Spit ---- Now this can be done individually or in a combination but they happen to me daily. Everyday. Usually more than twice. I see it as uncivilized ignorance but it has taught me pride in who I am and what I represent, dignity, self love, patience and most of all SELF RESTRAINT. God is still good. — in Guangzhou, Guangdong, China.

A.K.K.S.

China is probably very similar to Mexico in that they worship white people and have a false sense of "superiority" to blacks, even though the blacks that go to those countries make 4 time the average local... White people have trained the world well.