Christians think yoga is demonic??

BacchanalDiva

I was searching for a simplified version of the sun salutation that I could use w/ preschoolers and came across some Youtube comments...I had no idea that SOME Christians consider yoga to be of the occult. What say imix Christians..what does the bible or accepted translation of it have to say about yoga? Isn't it generally accepted across most if not all religions that taking care of the body is our responsibility to God?

*I'm genuinely curious so no nonsense in here pls.

RotiKing2004eva

The stretching and exercise is cool, but I do not believe in the spiritual disciplines behind it.

If you read the wiki Yoga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and look at the spirituality involved, and and have a knowledge of the God of the bible, then it's pretty straight forward why the God of the bible would be against the spirituality of Yoga.

Last edited:

femmeayitienne

***//\\***
I was searching for a simplified version of the sun salutation that I could use w/ preschoolers and came across some Youtube comments...I had no idea that SOME Christians consider yoga to be of the occult. What say imix Christians..what does the bible or accepted translation of it have to say about yoga? Isn't it generally accepted across most if not all religions that taking care of the body is our responsibility to God?

*I'm genuinely curious so no nonsense in here pls.
yup -- recently heard that as well

They say that the basis of yoga goes against the christian faith -- since it's buddisht and/or hindu

BacchanalDiva

From what i heard the "poses" and the meditation are made to other entities...
You mean like worshiping something other than God? Seemed to be what they were getting at w/ the sun salutation but 1. yoga is so mainstream that many ppl don't even think any further than increasing flexibility, getting some exercise and improving overall health 2. even those that do see the link between meditation/spiritual and physical health..how could it be wrong to acknowledge/salute God's work which is what nature is??

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
I'm not a "thumper," but I can see where they're getting that. I honestly just see it as another way to stretch.

Poca

Since from a Christian perspective there is only one God and it's the one mentioned in the bible; anything that has foreign origin that is not stated in the bible is worshiping something else than God (and we all know what it is).

Now it's whether you believe or not that the Christian god is indeed the only good thing in the universe. Personally, I think that it's quite debatable seeing how that whole story came to be, but that's me.

You mean like worshiping something other than God? Seemed to be what they were getting at w/ the sun salutation but 1. yoga is so mainstream that many ppl don't even think any further than increasing flexibility, getting some exercise and improving overall health 2. even those that do see the link between meditation/spiritual and physical health..how could it be wrong to acknowledge/salute God's work which is what nature is??

BacchanalDiva

The stretching and exercise is cool, but I do not believe in the spiritual disciplines behind it.

If you read the wiki Yoga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and look at the spirituality involved, and and have a knowledge of the God of the bible, then it's pretty straight forward.
yup -- recently heard that as well

They say that the basis of yoga goes against the christian faith -- since it's buddisht and/or hindu
Ok so based on different religions yes but at the core where is the conflict? What is the difference between using meditation...clearing the mind of anything worldly in order to be one w/ God/Higher Power and regular Christian prayer, or praying the rosary? Is it just that anything non christian is bad?

BacchanalDiva

Since from a Christian perspective there is only one God and it's the one mentioned in the bible; anything that has foreign origin that is not stated in the bible is worshiping something else than God (and we all know what it is).

Now it's whether you believe or not that the Christian god is indeed the only good thing in the universe. Personally, I think that it's quite debatable seeing how that whole story came to be, but that's me.
But why wouldn't the Christian god be the same god other ppl are worshiping under other names?

Poca

I have very extremist Christians friends and to them meditation is calling on the Devil so it's a definite NO-NO.

Poca

From what I understand, the Christians believe that their god and the Bible is the only way one and the others being referred differently are simply worshiping the Devil.

But why wouldn't the Christian god be the same god other ppl are worshiping under other names?

BacchanalDiva

From what I understand, the Christians believe that their god and the Bible is the only way one and the others being referred differently are simply worshiping the Devil.
Guess you're right cause I just read the Wiki page RotiKing posted and the part about Christian opposition seems to come back to what I was saying about it boiling down to anything that is non christian is of the devil no matter if similar or compatible with christian beliefs.

Some Christians integrate yoga and other aspects of Eastern spirituality with prayer and meditation. This has been attributed to a desire to experience God in a more complete way.[103] The Roman Catholic Church, and some other Christian organizations have expressed concerns and disapproval with respect to some eastern and New Age practices that include yoga and meditation.[104][105][106]
In 1989 and 2003, the Vatican issued two documents: Aspects of Christian meditation and "A Christian reflection on the New Age," that were mostly critical of eastern and New Age practices. The 2003 document was published as a 90 page handbook detailing the Vatican's position.[107] The Vatican warned that concentration on the physical aspects of meditation "can degenerate into a cult of the body" and that equating bodily states with mysticism "could also lead to psychic disturbance and, at times, to moral deviations." Such has been compared to the early days of Christianity, when the church opposed the gnostics' belief that salvation came not through faith but through a mystical inner knowledge.[103]
The letter also says, "one can see if and how [prayer] might be enriched by meditation methods developed in other religions and cultures"[108] but maintains the idea that "there must be some fit between the nature of [other approaches to] prayer and Christian beliefs about ultimate reality."[103]
Some fundamentalist Christian organizations consider yoga to be incompatible with their religious background, considering it a part of the New Age movement inconsistent with Christianity.[109]

DSP

Heri

Because saluting the sun is seen as sun worship and not the same as saying 'Thank you God for the sun' or 'Thank you God for nature'

I think it's related to the 10 commandments and another part of the old tesatment that says you shouldn't worship anything created by God. It was also included in the rule about not attempting to construct/design an image of God(all those Jesus paintings/statues count also, or what people thought he looked like).

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
Yeah I had this same debate with my MIL, who is a deaconess, when we were speaking of converting. She just couldn't understand why we would want to separate ourselves from the Holy Trinity, and we would be turning our backs on God. I gave her the intelligent response that we all worship to same God just a different name, and she went ballistic. Told me to never speak such blasphemy to her, and that she didn't want her God to be associated with any other heathen religion. I'm shocked she didn't start speaking in tongues over that.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Because saluting the sun is seen as sun worship and not the same as saying 'Thank you God for the sun' or 'Thank you God for nature'

I think it's related to the 10 commandments and another part of the old tesatment that says you shouldn't worship anything created by God. It was also included in the rule about not to attempting to construct/design an image of God(all those Jesus paintings/statues count also, or what people thought he looked like).
So evvvverybody going to hell then. Because every church have Jesus on a cross, lots of Christians wear crosses around their necks...so the devil ought to build out I guess.

RotiKing2004eva

Ok so based on different religions yes but at the core where is the conflict? What is the difference between using meditation...clearing the mind of anything worldly in order to be one w/ God/Higher Power and regular Christian prayer, or praying the rosary? Is it just that anything non christian is bad?
That's a lot of questions...it makes sense to me based on who I see God is in the Bible. The spirit world is real. I wish I would remove the scale from my eyes and see how many demons are around me all the time and how many whisper in my ear to do evil.

That being said, meditation is a connection to this world. Prayer to the most High Jesus or God or the Holy Spirit is great...but other types of connections to the Spirit world are dangerous and discouraged. If you want the bible scriptures on this, I can provide them.

I agree with the philosophy of 'stretching is cool, but the meditation is kinda dangerous'.

Poca

That is why Christians are big at trying to convert people because they believe that non Christians beliefs are the Devil's work. Of course along side they also wanted to gain access to the wealth that these conversions bring to the church.

Personally, there is one question that no Christians have ever been to answer is: If the Christian's god is really the almighty, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, the thing that have the knowledge even before it happens...why did it create an entity that would bring havoc in its creation? and Did this entity had a "choice" in going the path it went? if it did would the Bible words still be true?

But I do understand that it's a "mystery" that we will never be able to understand.

DSP

Heri
So evvvverybody going to hell then. Because every church have Jesus on a cross, lots of Christians wear crosses around their necks...so the devil ought to build out I guess.

I used to wonder about that. Some churchs don't have images and others removed them. Most of the images dont look like the Jesus described in the Bible anyway. I feel it messes with peoples heads, especially kids.

RotiKing2004eva

That is why Christians are big at trying to convert people because they believe that non Christians beliefs are the Devil's work. Of course along side they also wanted to gain access to the wealth that these conversions bring to the church.

Personally, there is one question that no Christians have ever been to answer is: If the Christian's god is really the almighty, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, the thing that have the knowledge even before it happens...why did it create an entity that would bring havoc in its creation? and Did this entity had a "choice" in going the path it went? if it did would the Bible words still be true?

But I do understand that it's a "mystery" that we will never be able to understand.
God created the angels, man and woman with choice. Some chose evil. Plain and simple. Satan could choose good right now if he wanted to, but he won't. He rather do evil.