Did St. Vincent create most of the genres of music in the Caribbean?

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
eehhhh really though, everybody does this with everything... with every genre of music u gonna have someone somewhere that was doing something similar before and then when they hear something similar to what they were doing they wanna claim it...

Similar to hiphop and them DJs in queens wanna say they started hiphop cause they were doing what DJs in the bronx were doing way before... NO the movement hiphop as we know it started in the Bronx! there were other aspects and elements to what we know as hiphop that was started in the Bx that them dudes in Queens were not doing...

Same as with this argument... everyone can say they heard something or were doing something long before, even though it may be true, the product as we know required certain elements and aspects that the trinis were doing

dollbabi

Earth Angel
eehhhh really though, everybody does this with everything... with every genre of music u gonna have someone somewhere that was doing something similar before and then when they hear something similar to what they were doing they wanna claim it...

Similar to hiphop and them DJs in queens wanna say they started hiphop cause they were doing what DJs in the bronx were doing way before... NO the movement hiphop as we know it started in the Bronx! there were other aspects and elements to what we know as hiphop that was started in the Bx that them dudes in Queens were not doing...

Same as with this argument... everyone can say they heard something or were doing something long before, even though it may be true, the product as we know required certain elements and aspects that the trinis were doing
What are you talking about? When did the entire Caribbean =Trinidad? Why are some of you so focused on Trinidad?

The man stated that St. Vincent is the birthplace of most Caribbean genres, not just those from Trinidad. Apparently, some of you all feel you were doing everything everyone else was doing first. Just foolishness.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
u missed what i was saying.. ok then the rest of the caribbean and their respective genres
I understand your point but it's one thing to say that one or maybe two genres sound similar to your music. It's another thing to state that your island is the birthplace of most genres of a region, particularly one with multiple cultural influences and languages (some of which are not even very significant in your island). What you are saying is no excuse for the level of ignorance in the video.

bhalistix

It is I
I barely talk in Soca chat, but after seeing this video, it was really distasteful, this guy is supposedly an icon, u should at least watch the video.
did you watch the video or you just read what people were saying? whats distasteful about what he said. the man pro-vincyland. his position may be extreme but what is distasteful about it. isn't that what you trini's do on here day. Promote a pro-trini agenda. when someone else does it its DISTASTEFUL. i tell you already you need to shut your ass on here.

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
I understand your point but it's one thing to say that one or maybe two genres sound similar to your music. It's another thing to state that your island is the birthplace of most genres of a region, particularly one with multiple cultural influences and languages (some of which are not even very significant in your island). What you are saying is no excuse for the level of ignorance in the video.
basically you and I are agreeing.. i am not excusing him

All i am saying i have heard that same argument with every genre of music... whenever a new form of music or nuance in music comes about, someone somewhere is going to say "Oohhh we were doing that way back when".. no matter how silly or how much of a stretch their argument is.. I used the example of hiphop cause many people say hiphop started this place and that place because someone somewhere was talking over beats... but to say that the people who started hiphop got it from them is foolish
but the what we know as hiphop today started in the bx, same with soca, what we know it as today started in trini etc etc..

kidray

Yeah that man has some brave statements,I think soca was born out of TNT,I think that everybody else jumped on the soca train,but now they are trying to "say they are the inverters"
The question is why did they brand their music "soca" to begin with.

I will say one thing to the to his support.Tnt has a way of branding stuff as their own sometimes.Chutney is a classic example,The concept behind chutney came from Suriname and Indian culture.TNT re branded a concept that was already alive and called it "Chutney" this info is well documented.

Limbo is a another example,I read an article where a Trinidadian columnist was trying to isolate limbo from African Cultures,this was a deceptive attempt to discredit the possibility that other countries that have African ancestry may have limbo too.No all begins are definitive.

Yeah that man has some brave statements,I think soca was born out of TNT,I think that everybody else jumped on the soca train,but now they are trying to "say they are the inverters"
The question is why did they brand their music "soca" to begin with.

I will say one thing to the to his support.Tnt has a way of branding stuff as their own sometimes.Chutney is a classic example,The concept behind chutney came from Suriname and Indian culture.TNT re branded a concept that was already alive and called it "Chutney" this info is well documented.

Limbo is a another example,I read an article where a Trinidadian columnist was trying to isolate limbo from African Cultures,this was a deceptive attempt to discredit the possibility that other countries that have African ancestry may have limbo too.No all begins are definitive.
you are right in so many ways and I have to totally agree with you, you are actually smart when you not trying piss others off. Yeah its all about the branding of something sometimes

e.g if someone came up with the idea of facebook but never gave it a name, a direction, a movement, etc then the idea does not come to life until someone comes along and brand it, give it direction etc

Like what Zuckerburg did

so leaving the analogy alone, Soca is Caribbean music now and everyone wants to claim it as originating in their island/country which should be the least of concern for the Caribbean right now. But the horse left the stable a long time ago, Trinidad is known as the home of Soca, Socaland, the football team is called Soca Warriors everything.

So for St.Vincent to come now...35 + years after to claim it, along with Ringbang and other forms of genres. Since I know myself, I know Ringbang is Barbados and Eddy Grant, but say what everyone have their own little way of trying to bring some kind of notoriety to their island.

Yeah and thats the thing, why did some of the islands brand their music Soca to begin, especially so for Leeward islands when clearly some of the music is not Soca in any sense. They did themselves a disservice and now grasping for straws.

Colors

STEADY WUK
Yeah and thats the thing, why did some of the islands brand their music Soca to begin, especially so for Leeward islands when clearly some of the music is not Soca in any sense. They did themselves a disservice and now grasping for straws.

:kicks:kicks:kicks

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
wasnt soca from soul calypso because they took calypso and blended it with elements of indian music??

however the genre of music called soca will be expanded to include music from other nations.. same way that music sung by El General falls under dancehall but in latino countries it is called reggaeton due to the fact i guess that there is usually one particular beat used as well as the language factor..

Like you said we have been through this before...and I recall that I felt the same way about trinidad music also remember
I dont know how u feel about Trinidad music and I dont care, ur just shady.

alyuh doh realize we doh care, alyuh givin we more attention than alyuh own music landscape.

we only study we music and Jamaica, maybe BIM and a couple others, thats it. now take a chill pill.

Colors

STEADY WUK

alyuh doh realize we doh care, alyuh givin we more attention than alyuh own music landscape.

we only study we music and Jamaica, maybe BIM and a couple others, thats it. now take a chill pill.

:kicks:kicks:kicks

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz

who is "alyuh" and who is "we?" you obviously care because you're one of the main ones that ends up engaging in these long debates

dollbabi

Earth Angel
basically you and I are agreeing.. i am not excusing him

All i am saying i have heard that same argument with every genre of music... whenever a new form of music or nuance in music comes about, someone somewhere is going to say "Oohhh we were doing that way back when".. no matter how silly or how much of a stretch their argument is.. I used the example of hiphop cause many people say hiphop started this place and that place because someone somewhere was talking over beats... but to say that the people who started hiphop got it from them is foolish
but the what we know as hiphop today started in the bx, same with soca, what we know it as today started in trini etc etc..
Ok, well my mistake then. I do agree with you.