does immigration help your island?

Klang

Real Patriot
In response to haiti caricom member thread...ok so Dominica have more haitians than the entire oecs combined yet is still the probably the poorest...also a growing number of chinese...visiting recently you can definitely tell it is a lot busier than before...people hustling. but does the immigration really help? we are not a big island like jamaica, barbados or even st lucia (in population or economically wise), but we are becoming somewhat of a hot spot for immigrants probably due to our potential natural resources, our easy access to guadeloupe and martinique and afterall the island is underpopulated...can all you honestly say the immigrants coming to your island help it?

Lucianite

Legal or illegal immigration .

What are theimmigrants bringing ?

Ther must be opportunity in Dominica, at least it's not available in immigrants place of origin

A few yrs ago Lucians were complaining about Guyanese and at another point Haitians coming n

America as you know was built by immigrants and now its like not such a good thing or that's what some think

Klang

Real Patriot
most of them poorer haitians bring work ethic and agriculture skills; a family member of mine has one that does some gardening for them... the middle class ones own some businesses and do some taxi driving...as for the chinese well most of them own small businesses and do construction and infrastructure etc

Oneshot

where de crix
most of them poorer haitians bring work ethic and agriculture skills; a family member of mine has one that does some gardening for them... the middle class ones own some businesses and do some taxi driving...as for the chinese well most of them own small businesses and do construction and infrastructure etc
yep big up the sak passe crew, folks find it a lot easier to hire haitian help, and boy dem can hustle two, three jobs easy. our young people can emulate a lot.

big up de haitian taxi driver/ tailor/ whatever else he doing

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
i guess we have a high immigrant workforce.. so maybe it does.. maybe it doesnt.. who knows.. anybody who commits a crime should simply be deported to their place of origin..

Klang

Real Patriot
yep big up the sak passe crew, folks find it a lot easier to hire haitian help, and boy dem can hustle two, three jobs easy. our young people can emulate a lot.

big up de haitian taxi driver/ tailor/ whatever else he doing
interesting...me personally dont have a problem with them, but a sizeable amount of dominicans think they are nasty people lol

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
what being from caricom have to do with it? if you working and living your life then fine.. do ya thing.. you committing crimes and the like.. ship you back to where you come from

Klang

Real Patriot
what being from caricom have to do with it? if you working and living your life then fine.. do ya thing.. you committing crimes and the like.. ship you back to where you come from
well i would think caricom members would get a lil more leeway than a immigrant from outside the community

123KINGpapi

It depends very much on what type of migration we are talking about. Let's be honest, you don't want unskilled immigrants/aliens "invading" your country, taking over all the jobs and destroying your culture.

In DR we have big problems with that.

Oneshot

where de crix
It depends very much on what type of migration we are talking about. Let's be honest, you don't want unskilled immigrants/aliens "invading" your country, taking over all the jobs and destroying your culture.

funny how so called unskilled labourers do the jobs that locals refuse to do.

SKBai1991

and other places have problems with Dominicans doing the same thing lol

123KINGpapi

funny how so called unskilled labourers do the jobs that locals refuse to do.
They do that kind of jobs for a pittance while locals demand fair wages, locals are not willing to work for misery. That's why "unskilled labourers" are always exploited by their employers. They don't complain, because even in such conditions they make more money than they could earn in their home countries.

It's not funny at all, this is a global problem that affects us all.

and other places have problems with Dominicans doing the same thing lol
lol??. Unskilled immigrants are undesirable no matter what nationality they are, and no matter where they go, it will always be the same.

However, today DR receives more immigrants than those who leave the country, not only Haitians and Cubans, but also Colombians, Venezuelans, Puerto Ricans, Spaniards, Italians, Lebanese, Chinese, etc. Go figure.

About 434.343 immigrants moved to Dominican Republic in the last 3 years (not including illegal immigrants) and the number of illegal immigrants in the DR was estimated at 1.3 million people (mostly Haitians and a few Cubans) in 2009.:shout:

And just to clarify the doubts:

America: The Continent of Immigrants

Dominicanos lideran población estudiantil de universidades públicas - DiarioLibre.com

Georgeflash

Who feels it knows it!
Yes, we have a lot of sex workers from the small islands. Freaky smallie women serve a purpose I guess.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
well i would think caricom members would get a lil more leeway than a immigrant from outside the community
so a bandit from another country should get a chance why again? if you are a detriment to our society then you should be reunited with your land .. if you just working and hustling then nobody have time with you.. but if you on badness. then go back..

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
Dominicans (DR and DA) complaining about Haitians but they going foreign n forming the ars the same way :kicks

123KINGpapi

the same way?. Dominicans in USA are not even 0.5% of the U.S. population. And they pay taxes, they are not illegal immigrants, among Second-Generation Latinos, Dominicans have the highest percentage of college students, Just behind Cubans.

But that does not happen is DR. Foreigners are too many and only come to fill jobs. They make up 18% of the DR population.:lol:.:lol

-I'm not complaining about Haitians, by the way .. I'm complaining about unskilled immigrants who come to your country to consume resources but do not contribute anything to the nation.

Anyway, I'll give you a "like" just because I think your comment is funny :)

SKBai1991

the same way?. Dominicans in USA are not even 0.5% of the U.S. population. And they pay taxes, they are not illegal immigrants, among Second-Generation Latinos, Dominicans have the highest percentage of college students, Just behind Cubans.

But that does not happen is DR. Foreigners are too many and only come to fill jobs. They make up 18% of the DR population.:lol:.:lol

-I'm not complaining about Haitians, by the way .. I'm complaining about unskilled immigrants who come to your country to consume resources but do not contribute anything to the nation.

Anyway, I'll give you a "like" just because I think your comment is funny :)
false. there are MAD dominican illegals in the US, just like everyone else lol. Yes, there are alot of Dominicans in the US doing positive things, and I'm proud of that, but there are also plenty of Dominicans out here doing sh!t with their lives and contributing nothing. Hell, half the cocaine in America is trafficked to the US via the DR lol

Anyway, unskilled labourers only compete for jobs with other unskilled labourers. Solution: get a skill.

Dominicans (from DR) only have "big problems with that" because they deny their African heritage and see Haitians as a glaring reminder of their own Africanness.

Anyhoo, regarding Dominica, I think most immigration is a good thing. Some are skilled some are not. Haitian tailors, barbers and the like bring their much needed skills to the country. For the longest time their has been pretty much 1 barber in all of Portsmouth, Bloaters. He had the capital to open up a 2nd place and he is always busy. You mean to tell me out of all the people Bloaters has hired over the years, one couldn't branch out and set up his own thing?

Haitians come in and do the work, gardening/farming, public works, that Dominicans don't want to do, but complain that the Haitians are taking jobs. It's just like the US. You can't have it both ways. You can't not want to do low wage jobs, but complain that another group is taking jobs away.

With the influx of other creole speaking people, Dominica has also seen a surge in taking even MORE pride in our own Creoleness. I think that is a really positive thing that reinforces Dominica's unique culture, it doesn't take away from it at all.
Not that there isn't some degree of merit to that claim, but honestly the MAJORITY of Black people in the Diaspora are not at all that accepting of their African heritage. They may not outright deny it, but when you look at the lengths people go to look non-Black, as well as the standard of beauty is more mixed-race than Black, most people of African descent are in NO position to be criticising Dominicans. Hell, even Africans bleaching nowadays so what does that say?

QOTW

Dominicans (from DR) only have "big problems with that" because they deny their African heritage and see Haitians as a glaring reminder of their own Africanness.

Anyhoo, regarding Dominica, I think most immigration is a good thing. Some are skilled some are not. Haitian tailors, barbers and the like bring their much needed skills to the country. For the longest time there has been pretty much 1 barber in all of Portsmouth, Bloaters. He had the capital to open up a 2nd place and he is always busy. You mean to tell me out of all the people Bloaters has hired over the years, one couldn't branch out and set up his own thing?

Haitians come in and do the work, gardening/farming, public works, that Dominicans don't want to do, but complain that the Haitians are taking jobs. It's just like the US. You can't have it both ways. You can't not want to do low wage jobs, but complain that another group is taking jobs away.

With the influx of other creole speaking people, Dominica has also seen a surge in taking even MORE pride in our own Creoleness. I think that is a really positive thing that reinforces Dominica's unique culture, it doesn't take away from it at all.