does immigration help your island?

Klang

Real Patriot
Dominicans (from DR) only have "big problems with that" because they deny their African heritage and see Haitians as a glaring reminder of their own Africanness.

Anyhoo, regarding Dominica, I think most immigration is a good thing. Some are skilled some are not. Haitian tailors, barbers and the like bring their much needed skills to the country. For the longest time there has been pretty much 1 barber in all of Portsmouth, Bloaters. He had the capital to open up a 2nd place and he is always busy. You mean to tell me out of all the people Bloaters has hired over the years, one couldn't branch out and set up his own thing?

Haitians come in and do the work, gardening/farming, public works, that Dominicans don't want to do, but complain that the Haitians are taking jobs. It's just like the US. You can't have it both ways. You can't not want to do low wage jobs, but complain that another group is taking jobs away.

With the influx of other creole speaking people, Dominica has also seen a surge in taking even MORE pride in our own Creoleness. I think that is a really positive thing that reinforces Dominica's unique culture, it doesn't take away from it at all.
man speaking of haitians in dominica this shit crack me up every damn time...de haitian woman good standing up for themselves tho oui

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/83GM2CZks_M?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
Legal or illegal immigration .

What are theimmigrants bringing ?

Ther must be opportunity in Dominica, at least it's not available in immigrants place of origin

A few yrs ago Lucians were complaining about Guyanese and at another point Haitians coming n

America as you know was built by immigrants and now its like not such a good thing or that's what some think
i didn't know that haitians were going to st. lucia like that. just learned something new

interesting...me personally dont have a problem with them, but a sizeable amount of dominicans think they are nasty people lol
nasty how? attitude? hygeine? what?

QOTW

false. there are MAD dominican illegals in the US, just like everyone else lol. Yes, there are alot of Dominicans in the US doing positive things, and I'm proud of that, but there are also plenty of Dominicans out here doing sh!t with their lives and contributing nothing. Hell, half the cocaine in America is trafficked to the US via the DR lol

Anyway, unskilled labourers only compete for jobs with other unskilled labourers. Solution: get a skill.

Not that there isn't some degree of merit to that claim, but honestly the MAJORITY of Black people in the Diaspora are not at all that accepting of their African heritage. They may not outright deny it, but when you look at the lengths people go to look non-Black, as well as the standard of beauty is more mixed-race than Black, most people of African descent are in NO position to be criticising Dominicans. Hell, even Africans bleaching nowadays so what does that say?

There's no denying that we in the Black Diaspora have our issues regarding race and skin color, but the Dominican Republic is notorious for white washing entire history.

My aunt and uncle live and work in DR, and my aunt says that Dominicans refuse to even learn French (she's a French teacher) because they equate French and French based languages with Haitians. I know there has been historical strife between the 2 countries because of the Haitian occupation of DR in the 1820s, but they have massive issues with Haiti's pride in their African skin color and culture.

Ayisyen

the same way?. Dominicans in USA are not even 0.5% of the U.S. population. And they pay taxes, they are not illegal immigrants, among Second-Generation Latinos, Dominicans have the highest percentage of college students, Just behind Cubans.

But that does not happen is DR. Foreigners are too many and only come to fill jobs. They make up 18% of the DR population.:lol:.:lol

-I'm not complaining about Haitians, by the way .. I'm complaining about unskilled immigrants who come to your country to consume resources but do not contribute anything to the nation.

Anyway, I'll give you a "like" just because I think your comment is funny :)
What about Illegal Dominicans in Puerto Rico that are said to be a big contributing factor to the drug trade over there? It is estimated that as much as 40% of cocaine distributed through out Europe comes from DR thru Puerto Rico...and it is said there are as many as 200,000 Dominicans(most of them illegal) residing over there...out of a total population 3.5 million...

What about "la secreta asociacion de los trinitarios" controlling the drug trade east of the mississippi river in the US??? Like you said Dominicans are not even 0.5% of the total population of the US...that's even worse...because for such a small group of ppl they are OVERREPRESENTED in the drug trade...most US Dominicans can be found in the NY/NJ area...and guess what they are mostly associated with???

At least the Haitians in DR are for the most part hard working ppl trying to provide a honest living for their family...they play a big part in the Dominican economy thru the construction business...this is why your gov't is pro-Haitian...Fernandez understand Haiti is big business for DR...Haiti is DR's largest export market(almost $600 US million annually since the earthquake, not to mention over $500 US million in contracts awarded to DR's construction companies)...the Dominican middle class don't have a problem with Haiti...90% of a profit goes toward costs...those illegal Haitians will do 10 times the amount of work for half the pay...while the lower class Dominicans take yolas to Puerto Rico to grab American citizenship...this is why your gov't is willing to accept the tax burden put on taxpayers by overcrowding hospitals in Santo Domingo...this is why the private sector of the Dominican business class are willingly to donate $30 US million to build a university in Limonade...it's in their business incentive to do so...this is why many illegal Haitians can walk thru the border SO EASILY...there is a reason why they are calling Haiti a province of DR...

dedetriniking

Dominicans (DR and DA) complaining about Haitians but they going foreign n forming the ars the same way :kicks
Mann just last week i heard some vitriol from a colleague of mine from DR....against Haitians.....really nasty stuff....calling them animals and such....and he was saying this to an asian dude. I had to pull him up to the point where the tension got thick in the air. The things the dude was saying about haitians was really sickening. In the end i think he got the message that he was just being a disgusting bigot.

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
Damn.. Just to clarify.. The Haitians in DA don't get heat for being black.. It's not a matter of skin color but the fact many talk and no action Dominicans complain when ever any group of ppl come n start working. :kicks I find it funny how they complain life hard no jobs but Haitians coming n living @ middle
Class status within a year time.. Smh.. In Dr I guess it more of a deeper issue. Then the same ppl have their family overs who forming the arse

123KINGpapi

false. there are MAD dominican illegals in the US, just like everyone else lol. Yes, there are alot of Dominicans in the US doing positive things, and I'm proud of that, but there are also plenty of Dominicans out here doing sh!t with their lives and contributing nothing. Hell, half the cocaine in America is trafficked to the US via the DR lol
There are good people and bad people everywhere, that's not what we're discussing here. The vast majority of Dominicans living in the United States are legal ... Those who are illegal are few.

Have you seen Dominicans in the Univision channel talking about the green card?. That's because we can not just cross the border as Mexicans do. I know there are some illegals living in US, but again, not as other Hispanic groups... we just prefer to travel by airplanes. :grin:

Anyway, unskilled labourers only compete for jobs with other unskilled labourers. Solution: get a skill.
So it's ok if unskilled immigrants dictate what locals should do with their working lives?. Cool, that's progress!

Not that there isn't some degree of merit to that claim, but honestly the MAJORITY of Black people in the Diaspora are not at all that accepting of their African heritage. They may not outright deny it, but when you look at the lengths people go to look non-Black, as well as the standard of beauty is more mixed-race than Black, most people of African descent are in NO position to be criticising Dominicans. Hell, even Africans bleaching nowadays so what does that say?
Most of them are proud of what they are, and those who do not ... Well, those are their problems.

Dominicans (from DR) only have "big problems with that" because they deny their African heritage and see Haitians as a glaring reminder of their own Africanness.
We teach African history in DR. Do they do that in your country?. I do not think so. However, is it relevant to the topic?

There's no denying that we in the Black Diaspora have our issues regarding race and skin color, but the Dominican Republic is notorious for white washing entire history.
Whites once formed about 60% of the population of DR. The vast majority of them went into exile as result of the Haitian invasion and the dictatorship of Rafael Leonidas Trujillo...

Whites are the only racial group that has been reduced considerably, of course that the racial mixtures and/or interracial marriage also had much to do with this phenomenon.

So I think you should not have included that last part in your comment.

My aunt and uncle live and work in DR, and my aunt says that Dominicans refuse to even learn French (she's a French teacher) because they equate French and French based languages with Haitians. I know there has been historical strife between the 2 countries because of the Haitian occupation of DR in the 1820s, but they have massive issues with Haiti's pride in their African skin color and culture.

Why should we learn French in a country where the official language has always been Spanish?. Also, French language isdeclining, not just in DR but almost everywhere in the world.
No offense but: French is a 'useless' language, says former foreign minister | Mail Online

What about Illegal Dominicans in Puerto Rico that are said to be a big contributing factor to the drug trade over there? It is estimated that as much as 40% of cocaine distributed through out Europe comes from DR thru Puerto Rico...and it is said there are as many as 200,000 Dominicans(most of them illegal) residing over there...out of a total population 3.5 million...
Most dominicans in Puerto Rico are Legal... There are also many Puerto Ricans in DR, many!. Have you ever heard about José Figueroa Agosto?. :lol

The drug lords in Dominican Republic are all foreigners, mostly Colombians and Puerto Ricans (there are more foreigners in DR than in all other Caribbean islands together) ... Although that does not mean that all Colombians and Puerto Ricans living in the DR are drug traffickers.

What about "la secreta asociacion de los trinitarios" controlling the drug trade east of the mississippi river in the US??? Like you said Dominicans are not even 0.5% of the total population of the US...that's even worse...because for such a small group of ppl they are OVERREPRESENTED in the drug trade...most US Dominicans can be found in the NY/NJ area...and guess what they are mostly associated with???

The Trinitarios bullshit is just a gang of teenagers with attitude ... Maybe they weren't loved by their parents as kids.:grin:
Now. What percent of Dominicans are part of that gang ... Maybe 0.02%?. Oh Lord!! lol

Dude, Dominican Republic has reduced drug trafficking in more than 98% in the last 3 years... Almost all the drugs coming to Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico comes from Haiti.

No more drugs trafficking since we got these new toys.

A-29B

MQ-1 Predator

Drug Trafficking in the Americas in 2007

Drug Trafficking in the Americas after 2010

At least the Haitians in DR are for the most part hard working ppl trying to provide a honest living for their family...they play a big part in the Dominican economy thru the construction business...this is why your gov't is pro-Haitian...Fernandez understand Haiti is big business for DR...Haiti is DR's largest export market(almost $600 US million annually since the earthquake, not to mention over $500 US million in contracts awarded to DR's construction companies)...the Dominican middle class don't have a problem with Haiti...90% of a profit goes toward costs...those illegal Haitians will do 10 times the amount of work for half the pay...while the lower class Dominicans take yolas to Puerto Rico to grab American citizenship...this is why your gov't is willing to accept the tax burden put on taxpayers by overcrowding hospitals in Santo Domingo...this is why the private sector of the Dominican business class are willingly to donate $30 US million to build a university in Limonade...it's in their business incentive to do so...this is why many illegal Haitians can walk thru the border SO EASILY...there is a reason why they are calling Haiti a province of DR...
I never said that Haitian immigrants are not hard working people, I know it very well ... but they leave millions in losses to the state.

Most of them do not pay taxes, but they receive health care, education and other services for free ... That money is paid by the local people and those who are legally documented.

I have nothing against them, I'm just saying the truth. Americans do not hate Mexicans, they just want to keep their jobs and their wages.

QOTW

We teach African history in DR. Do they do that in your country?. I do not think so. However, is it relevant to the topic?

Whites once formed about 60% of the population of DR. The vast majority of them went into exile as result of the Haitian invasion and the dictatorship of Rafael Leonidas Trujillo...

Whites are the only racial group that has been reduced considerably, of course that the racial mixtures and/or interracial marriage also had much to do with this phenomenon.

So I think you should not have included that last part in your comment.

Why should we learn French in a country where the official language has always been Spanish?. Also, French language isdeclining, not just in DR but almost everywhere in the world.
No offense but: French is a 'useless' language, says former foreign minister | Mail Online

Of course African history is taught in Dominican (DA) schools. Are you insane? The African slave trade and pre-Columbian history of the Caribbean is taught in Dominican (DA) schools. Are you insane? It’s obvious you know nothing about other countries from your confined space. Try not to display your ignorance.

It is relevant because of Dominicans (DR) bigoted view of Haitians and the denial of DR’s African heritage. It is relevant because and the Dominican Republic’s persecution of Haitian immigrants.

I have had Dominicans (DR) who are darker than me (I am of medium brown skin tone i.e. a regular black chick) deny that they have ANY African heritage. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so sad.

123KINGpapi

Of course African history is taught in Dominican (DA) schools. Are you insane? The African slave trade and pre-Columbian history of the Caribbean is taught in Dominican (DA) schools. Are you insane? It’s obvious you know nothing about other countries from your confined space. Try not to display your ignorance.

It is relevant because of Dominicans (DR) bigoted view of Haitians and the denial of DR’s African heritage. It is relevant because and the Dominican Republic’s persecution of Haitian immigrants.

I have had Dominicans (DR) who are darker than me (I am of medium brown skin tone i.e. a regular black chick) deny that they have ANY African heritage. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so sad.
You must be retarded. The Only Way...:confused Have you noticed that the focus of this thread is the immigration?

But, hey! i couldn't care less about your poor generalizations because such opinions are just that, personal opinions, not facts .. Just have nothing to do with reality.:beach:

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
Not many DR posters stay constant on here once post like these start getting replies..

Just letting u know.. African history is taught in all the islands.. Plus Caribbean history is taught from grade 4 or so.. So move on from that.

do you really mean what you said dude? Being Bilingual is in demand in the world right now. Many ppl are studying abroad. We in DA speak English and French Creole.. However Spanish and French are being taught in our schools.. Even free Spanish classes and chines classes can be found if you look for em. Getting to learn a language to better develop your self shouldn't be seen as how you listed it man.

ANYWAYS THIS POST GOT SIDETRACKED TO A DR HAITI TING.. MOVE ON PPL
-------------------------------------------------------------------

123KINGpapi

Not many DR posters stay constant on here once post like these start getting replies..

Just letting u know.. African history is taught in all the islands.. Plus Caribbean history is taught from grade 4 or so.. So move on from that.
As a mandatory subject? .. I've been to Puerto Rico (on different occasions) and Cuba and such subjects are not mandatory in their schools. only as an optional subject

do you really mean what you said dude? Being Bilingual is in demand in the world right now. Many ppl are studying abroad. We in DA speak English and French Creole.. However Spanish and French are being taught in our schools.. Even free Spanish classes and chines classes can be found if you look for em. Getting to learn a language to better develop your self shouldn't be seen as how you listed it man.
In DR foreign languages ​​are available in all schools as optional subjects ... But students are only interested in learning English. Nobody wants to learn French, Italian or Mandarrin. : lol

I do not blame them, we all know that English is the universal language.

ANYWAYS THIS POST GOT SIDETRACKED TO A DR HAITI TING.. MOVE ON PPL
-------------------------------------------------------------------

:D

Ayisyen

Most dominicans in Puerto Rico are Legal... There are also many Puerto Ricans in DR, many!. Have you ever heard about José Figueroa Agosto?. :lol
Lol yea I heard of Jose Figueroa Agosto...even if it's true that most drug lords in DR are Columbian and/or Puerto Rican...it doesn't change the level of Dominicans involvement...check this article out...Drug wars in Mexico, Colombia push drug trade to Dominican Republic - CSMonitor.com...notice the country the article focuses on...when it mentions that 10% of coke in the US and 40% of the coke in Europe flows thru the caribbean...

Dude, Dominican Republic has reduced drug trafficking in more than 98% in the last 3 years... Almost all the drugs coming to Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico comes from Haiti.
LOL this article begs to differ...this came out last month btw... Dominican Republic Emerges As Drug Trafficking Center Of The Caribbean...

The Trinitarios bullshit is just a gang of teenagers with attitude ... Maybe they weren't loved by their parents as kids.:grin:
Now. What percent of Dominicans are part of that gang ... Maybe 0.02%?. Oh Lord!! lol
You are in straight denial with regards to the Trinitarios...lol@a bunch of kids with attitude...the FBI raided them two years ago in Washington Heights...arresting 50 members...this was the second FBI raid against them in the past four years...the first one was back in 2009...in Washington Heights(once again)...where they arrested over 40 people...Trinitarios Gang Members Who Operated Uptown Busted by Feds - DNAinfo.com New York

According to NYPD...right now they are 1,181 strong in NYC...NYPD says 1,181-strong Dominican gang keeps growing - DominicanToday.com

I never said that Haitian immigrants are not hard working people, I know it very well ...but they leave millions in losses to the state.

Most of them do not pay taxes, but they receive health care, education and other services for free ... That money is paid by the local people and those who are legally documented.

I have nothing against them, I'm just saying the truth. Americans do not hate Mexicans, they just want to keep their jobs and their wages.
I never said you were lying, I was stating the Dominican gov't had a big role in this and why they were willingly to put the burden on the taxpayers.

^^^
Ayisyen; said:
Haiti is DR's largest export market(almost $600 US million annually since the earthquake, not to mention over $500 US million in contracts awarded to DR's construction companies)...the Dominican middle class don't have a problem with Haiti...90% of a profit goes toward costs...those illegal Haitians will do 10 times the amount of work for half the pay...while the lower class Dominicans take yolas to Puerto Rico to grab American citizenship...this is why your gov't is willing to accept the tax burden put on taxpayers by overcrowding hospitals in Santo Domingo...this is why the private sector of the Dominican business class are willingly to donate $30 US million to build a university in Limonade...it's in their business incentive to do so
^^^Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling the Dominican businessmen evil...they are doing what is good for their country...I'm just saying there is a reason why there is 1.3 million Haitians in DR...and it's not because the Dominicans are just sitting there feeling "they have no choice"...the Dominican middle class families(who owns the factories, fields, construction sites) work in conjuction with the Dominican border patrolmen...with the OK given by "El Presidente"...DR has the second largest army in the caribbean after Cuba...Haiti only has a police force to guard Port Au Prince...if DR wanted to seal the border...they would have...

Btw I hear the actual number of Haitians in DR is close to 2 million(that would be 20% of the population of DR :kicks)

SKBai1991

there are nearly 1 million Dominicans in the US...if the Trinitarios have approximately 1 thousand members, they only make up 0.1% of the total Dominican population.

Ayisyen

there are nearly 1 million Dominicans in the US...if the Trinitarios have approximately 1 thousand members, they only make up 0.1% of the total Dominican population.
Criminals usually make up a very small percentage of their ethnic group...with that understood...that 0.1% of the Dominican population are MAJOR players in the drug trade(not just the US, but on the international scene too)...any coke found east of the mississippi river most likely has a "Dominican connect".