Does Oprah Give Back to The Black Community?

Inquistive

Comment from Huffingtonpost

My response to Oprah: I don't have the money to put people through college like YOU do, but I do my part and give when I can. HOWEVER, as a percentage of my total income, I probably give more money than YOU. Research has shown that people with limited incomes donate higher percentages of their income than do the rich and powerful people. Also, if I had YOUR money and power, I would never humiliate those that have less than me on twitter or like you did with author James Frey on national TV.

J

Juan Dan

people are funny yes...

Instead of looking to her for a hand out why doesn't he look at her as an inspiration?!?
oprah is simply like shabba and many others

prophets not respected in thier time and by their people

oprah didnt have "black support"

for a lotta years many people said she was a sell out aunt mammy jemima in house slayve

I understand, when me get rich, fuk all low class people and mindsets

antiguad

Comment from Huffingtonpost
Comment from Huffingtonpost is the dumbest ish I ever read. (Not saying that YOU support the comment, just talking about the comment in general)

Seeing as how Frey used the media to commit wholesale FRAUD for his gain, I really don't see how Oprah taking him to task on it was in any way "wrong"

Maybe Oprah doesn't give the exact same share of her money as poorer people...but so what? As far as I'm concerned, I'm not obligated to give one dollar for charity, and I'd extend it to everyone else, whether they're making a dollar a day or a million.

The more we feed the "give me something for nothing" crowd is the more beggars that we raise. If you want money WORK for it, don't expect handouts from others just because they got more money than you.

Inquistive

Comment from Huffingtonpost is the dumbest ish I ever read. (Not saying that YOU support the comment, just talking about the comment in general)

Seeing as how Frey used the media to commit wholesale FRAUD for his gain, I really don't see how Oprah taking him to task on it was in any way "wrong"

Maybe Oprah doesn't give the exact same share of her money as poorer people...but so what? As far as I'm concerned, I'm not obligated to give one dollar for charity, and I'd extend it to everyone else, whether they're making a dollar a day or a million.

The more we feed the "give me something for nothing" crowd is the more beggars that we raise. If you want money WORK for it, don't expect handouts from others just because they got more money than you.
The individual wasn't begging. He was just asking a question that has been raised by black proponents for years. Many have accused Oprah of ignoring black plight while being apologetic to the ills of suburban white women. As a business women, she has found her niche in making sensational subjects for her talk show that appeals to middle America.

And yes, I'm well aware of Oprah's philanthropical deeds. I'm just not gonna jump on the wagon of those who are making a fool out of the dude for asking the question.

Nica

SAINTSational
Oprah is the largest single donor to Moorehouse.... she's donated over 12 million to that institution alone... there are other charities that she gives too as well.

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
There were more Tweets

@awalkdatalk didn’t back down after Oprah flipped the script on him. He charged back, saying ”@Oprah but its millions of us n everybody isnt classified as african americans. Notice I said ghettos,” and then went on to send a slew of tweets about all he thinks the media mogul isn’t doing for the less fortunate.
@Oprah@Oprah_World just cuz Jay-z came on ur show doesnt mean u helping the hood
All that money, create sum jobs rignt here home in America b4 u spread da wealth with others. #takecarehome1st
Still waiting for an answer not statements this isnt a campaign ad commercial.

@Oprah@Oprah_World The world and the ghetto’s want to know. We waitin.
Still not one person in America can name one hood, public housing, block, ghetto. #StillWaitinOprah
Its not just her its everybody “in position”
We didnt ask @Oprah@OprahWinfreyBiz@Oprah_World for anything, just a question. And the ghetto still got nothing. Goodnight America
As the tweets show, Oprah had nothing else to say after she spoke on sending black men to college. I imagine @awalkdatalk, like a lot of black America, is still waiting on a response or action—and probably will be for a good while.
What do you think about this follower questioning Oprah and the response she gave?

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
Lol at these people angry cause she not targetting a specific block or hood or project building... next they will be asking her to name a specific floor in a project that she helped... point is Oprah created the schloarships and such for the underpriviliged... its now ur turn to seek these scholarships and apply for them AND HAVE ACEDEMIC CREDENTIALS TO EARN THAT SCHOLARSHI... what u want oprah to do, come to ray ray house in marcy projects and place the scholarship application in his hand?

What are these people doing to be worthy of the help... are they working two or three jobs saving money to move up out the hood or are they sitting there waiting for a hand out..

And on another site i see someone respond by saying Oprah not helping the hood because all the money she give is a tax write off... SO THE HELL WHAT.. point is 500 men got degrees because of her

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
what does man arguing and woman arguing have to do with people lookin for handouts from oprah??? :confused... stick to de topic please!

neways.. too many people dont want to get off their ass and go get theirs.. they think successful people owe them something personally.. smh

J

Juan Dan

what does man arguing and woman arguing have to do with people lookin for handouts from oprah??? :confused... stick to de topic please!

neways.. too many people dont want to get off their ass and go get theirs.. they think successful people owe them something personally.. smh
if a me you a talk me ask yuh to not read the tings
just dont read it
quite simple
me nuh in a no arguement wid yuh
its quite simple
dont read it
thanks

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
the problem is they want the HOOD to better instead of the tools to get out the hood

Oprah is about teaching niggas how to fish, but niggas just want oprah to gve them shrimp

Ushawishi

she build a school in africa ... for women...

thats couple million educated poor women in couple years ... etc.

we give fanks.

he should start with the teachers who taught him...school free up here... you miss you chance work on it for your kids...ask dem a question...

TC

Steuuuupssss!

Yep! You see it everywhere all the time! If they are not begging for a handout, they sit mindlessly behind their computers bashing others hardwork and success instead of getting off their lazy cynical behinds and making something positive happen in their own lives! Smh

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
i can't stand when people have this sense of entitlement. it's HER money. yes, it's nice for her to help and give back (which she clearly already does), but she can do as she pleases.

TheEducator

Interesting how he asks about ghettos and she responds with African American men...

Not playing into the stereotype at all...

antiguad

The individual wasn't begging. He was just asking a question that has been raised by black proponents for years. Many have accused Oprah of ignoring black plight while being apologetic to the ills of suburban white women. As a business women, she has found her niche in making sensational subjects for her talk show that appeals to middle America.

And yes, I'm well aware of Oprah's philanthropical deeds. I'm just not gonna jump on the wagon of those who are making a fool out of the dude for asking the question.
I'm still trying to figure out why someone "deserves" something more because of the colour of their skin....

I've got no problems with saying that we should give to people IN NEED. But I fail to see why someone should give to someone else because of a superficial similarity -i.e. being "black"

I'd like to make a fool of him, because he displays such ignorance in not bothering to find out that Oprah has given significantly to said same "black community" (and other communities). His only motive seems to be to stir the pot RATHER THAN actually help people, which disgusts me.