Ebola banned in the Caribbean

A.K.K.S.

Prime Minister Dean Barrow just made my day:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rJEbhIzIwKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A.K.K.S.

And the woman on CNN was lying in the first video. Who is she anyways? MEXICO DID ALSO REJECT THE POTENTIAL EBOLA PATIENT, AND FOR GOOD REASON. Jump to 1:23 of this video :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6CZdw8C4HDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
They should do like Belize and start with the cruise ships. A lot of sick and sexually promiscuous people are on cruise ships. Larger numbers than could ever fit on a plane.
what promiscuity have to do with Ebola now? when it's healthcare workers that are getting the disease

lol

A.K.K.S.

what promiscuity have to do with Ebola now? when it's healthcare workers that are getting the disease

lol
The potential for disease transmission is higher and can spread way faster on a cruise ship. All I posted and you pick up one thing... Yuh simple no rass gyal...

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
The potential for disease transmission is higher and can spread way faster on a cruise ship. All I posted and you pick up one thing... Yuh simple no rass gyal...

the videos???

i can't see the videos at work

i am asking about Ebola and sex...what is the connection? have they made the connection yet?

how many people caught Ebola by having sex? where are the stats?

is this thread about "disease" or is this about Ebola?

Poca

It's interesting though that family members of the man who died did not seem to have caught Ebola. The lived with him and all.

Poca

?

I mean that they lived with him while he was sick without all the sophisticated protective gears and all and they did nor catch it. Maybe the virus is a lot more virulent when it's about to finish with its victim.

I am personally a lot more interested in that D28 virus affecting kids. I believe that it has reached western Canada and it will for sure spread east.

They weren't having sex with him?

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Well these T&T soca artists seem determined to ensure that Carnival 2015 still goes ahead.

Benjai & Screws - No Ebola "2015 Trinidad Soca"
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iff6VLbN9N0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lucianite

?

I mean that they lived with him while he was sick without all the sophisticated protective gears and all and they did nor catch it. Maybe the virus is a lot more virulent when it's about to finish with its victim.

I have pointed that out and also there are no reported cases in western africant immigrants in the west who travel back and forth...

IJS - i actually do understand your point about the hysteria and cost - real economic cost to already stricken countries. There is now even more discrimination against immigrants and more so if from west africa. I heard west african cab drivers in nyc saying people are avoiding their cabs. the cabbie earns less and not able to send money home :(

Lucianite

Exclusive: Ebola didn

Exclusive: Ebola didn’t have to kill Thomas Eric Duncan, nephew says

Facebook
Thomas Eric Duncan
By JOSEPHUS WEEKS
Published: 14 October 2014 05:46 PM
Updated: 16 October 2014 10:07 AM
Related

On Friday, Sept. 25, 2014, my uncle Thomas Eric Duncan went to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas. He had a high fever and stomach pains. He told the nurse he had recently been in Liberia. But he was a man of color with no health insurance and no means to pay for treatment, so within hours he was released with some antibiotics and Tylenol.
Two days later, he returned to the hospital in an ambulance. Two days after that, he was finally diagnosed with Ebola. Eight days later, he died alone in a hospital room.
Now, Dallas suffers. Our country is concerned. Greatly. About the lack of answers and transparency coming from a hospital whose ignorance, incompetence and indecency has yet to be explained. I write this on behalf of my family because we want to set the record straight about what happened and ensure that Thomas Eric did not die in vain. So, here’s the truth about my uncle and his battle with Ebola.
Thomas Eric Duncan was cautious. Among the most offensive errors in the media during my uncle’s illness are the accusations that he knew he was exposed to Ebola — that is just not true. Eric lived in a careful manner, as he understood the dangers of living in Liberia amid this outbreak. He limited guests in his home, he did not share drinking cups or eating utensils.
And while the stories of my uncle helping a pregnant woman with Ebola are courageous, Thomas Eric personally told me that never happened. Like hundreds of thousands of West Africans, carefully avoiding Ebola was part of my uncle’s daily life.
And I can tell you with 100 percent certainty: Thomas Eric would have never knowingly exposed anyone to this illness.
Thomas Eric Duncan was a victim of a broken system. The biggest unanswered question about my uncle’s death is why the hospital would send home a patient with a 103-degree fever and stomach pains who had recently been in Liberia — and he told them he had just returned from Liberia explicitly due to the Ebola threat.
Some speculate that this was a failure of the internal communications systems. Others have speculated that antibiotics and Tylenol are the standard protocol for a patient without insurance.
The hospital is not talking. Until then, we are all left to wonder. What we do know is that their error affects all of society. Their bad judgment or misjudgment sent my uncle back into the community for days with a highly contagious case of Ebola. And now, officials suspect that a breach of protocol by the hospital is responsible for a new Ebola case, and that all health care workers who care for my uncle could potentially be exposed.
Their error set the wheels in motion for my uncle’s death and additional Ebola cases, and their ignorance, incompetence or indecency has created a national security threat for our country.
Thomas Eric Duncan could have been saved. Finally, what is most difficult for us — Thomas Eric’s mother, children and those closest to him — to accept is the fact that our loved one could have been saved. From his botched release from the emergency room to his delayed testing and delayed treatment and the denial of experimental drugs that have been available to every other case of Ebola treated in the U.S., the hospital invited death every step of the way.
When my uncle was first admitted, the hospital told us that an Ebola test would take three to seven days. Miraculously, the deputy who was feared to have Ebola just last week was tested and had results within 24 hours.
The fact is, nine days passed between my uncle’s first ER visit and the day the hospital asked our consent to give him an experimental drug — but despite the hospital’s request they were never able to access these drugs for my uncle. (Editor’s note: Hospital officials have said they started giving Duncan the drug Brincidofovir on October 4.) He died alone. His only medication was a saline drip.
For our family, the most humiliating part of this ordeal was the treatment we received from the hospital. For the 10 days he was in the hospital, they not only refused to help us communicate with Thomas Eric, but they also acted as an impediment. The day Thomas Eric died, we learned about it from the news media, not his doctors.
Our nation will never mourn the loss of my uncle, who was in this country for the first time to visit his son, as my family has. But our nation and our family can agree that what happened at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas must never happen to another family.
In time, we may learn why my uncle’s initial visit to the hospital was met with such incompetence and insensitivity. Until that day comes, our family will fight for transparency, accountability and answers, for my uncle and for the safety of the country we love.
Josephus Weeks, a U.S. Army and Iraq War veteran who lives in North Carolina, wrote this piece exclusively for The Dallas Morning News. Reach him at josephusweeks@yahoo.com.

Colors

STEADY WUK
Exclusive: Ebola didn

Exclusive: Ebola didn’t have to kill Thomas Eric Duncan, nephew says

Facebook
Thomas Eric Duncan
By JOSEPHUS WEEKS
Published: 14 October 2014 05:46 PM
Updated: 16 October 2014 10:07 AM
Related

On Friday, Sept. 25, 2014, my uncle Thomas Eric Duncan went to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas. He had a high fever and stomach pains. He told the nurse he had recently been in Liberia. But he was a man of color with no health insurance and no means to pay for treatment, so within hours he was released with some antibiotics and Tylenol.
Two days later, he returned to the hospital in an ambulance. Two days after that, he was finally diagnosed with Ebola. Eight days later, he died alone in a hospital room.
Now, Dallas suffers. Our country is concerned. Greatly. About the lack of answers and transparency coming from a hospital whose ignorance, incompetence and indecency has yet to be explained. I write this on behalf of my family because we want to set the record straight about what happened and ensure that Thomas Eric did not die in vain. So, here’s the truth about my uncle and his battle with Ebola.
Thomas Eric Duncan was cautious. Among the most offensive errors in the media during my uncle’s illness are the accusations that he knew he was exposed to Ebola — that is just not true. Eric lived in a careful manner, as he understood the dangers of living in Liberia amid this outbreak. He limited guests in his home, he did not share drinking cups or eating utensils.
And while the stories of my uncle helping a pregnant woman with Ebola are courageous, Thomas Eric personally told me that never happened. Like hundreds of thousands of West Africans, carefully avoiding Ebola was part of my uncle’s daily life.
And I can tell you with 100 percent certainty: Thomas Eric would have never knowingly exposed anyone to this illness.
Thomas Eric Duncan was a victim of a broken system. The biggest unanswered question about my uncle’s death is why the hospital would send home a patient with a 103-degree fever and stomach pains who had recently been in Liberia — and he told them he had just returned from Liberia explicitly due to the Ebola threat.
Some speculate that this was a failure of the internal communications systems. Others have speculated that antibiotics and Tylenol are the standard protocol for a patient without insurance.
The hospital is not talking. Until then, we are all left to wonder. What we do know is that their error affects all of society. Their bad judgment or misjudgment sent my uncle back into the community for days with a highly contagious case of Ebola. And now, officials suspect that a breach of protocol by the hospital is responsible for a new Ebola case, and that all health care workers who care for my uncle could potentially be exposed.
Their error set the wheels in motion for my uncle’s death and additional Ebola cases, and their ignorance, incompetence or indecency has created a national security threat for our country.
Thomas Eric Duncan could have been saved. Finally, what is most difficult for us — Thomas Eric’s mother, children and those closest to him — to accept is the fact that our loved one could have been saved. From his botched release from the emergency room to his delayed testing and delayed treatment and the denial of experimental drugs that have been available to every other case of Ebola treated in the U.S., the hospital invited death every step of the way.
When my uncle was first admitted, the hospital told us that an Ebola test would take three to seven days. Miraculously, the deputy who was feared to have Ebola just last week was tested and had results within 24 hours.
The fact is, nine days passed between my uncle’s first ER visit and the day the hospital asked our consent to give him an experimental drug — but despite the hospital’s request they were never able to access these drugs for my uncle. (Editor’s note: Hospital officials have said they started giving Duncan the drug Brincidofovir on October 4.) He died alone. His only medication was a saline drip.
For our family, the most humiliating part of this ordeal was the treatment we received from the hospital. For the 10 days he was in the hospital, they not only refused to help us communicate with Thomas Eric, but they also acted as an impediment. The day Thomas Eric died, we learned about it from the news media, not his doctors.
Our nation will never mourn the loss of my uncle, who was in this country for the first time to visit his son, as my family has. But our nation and our family can agree that what happened at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas must never happen to another family.
In time, we may learn why my uncle’s initial visit to the hospital was met with such incompetence and insensitivity. Until that day comes, our family will fight for transparency, accountability and answers, for my uncle and for the safety of the country we love.
Josephus Weeks, a U.S. Army and Iraq War veteran who lives in North Carolina, wrote this piece exclusively for The Dallas Morning News. Reach him at josephusweeks@yahoo.com.
Question of the hour is why the hospital nurses catch Ebola and the family which this man was living with did not catch Ebola......something is very strange about this whole Ebola thing and the CDC does not have no answers for the general public....this is why all the panic and fear about Ebola is taking place all over the world.

As for the nephew of Mr Duncan if he is so certain of everything he is keystroking about being a man of color and no insurance.....why did his uncle put America people at risk from the beginning......going into a public hospital were there is also sick people there waiting in the Emergency Room......why he did not call the CDC from the jet start and tell about his uncle situation before he went to the hospital......I am just saying

Lucianite

Question of the hour is why the hospital nurses catch Ebola and the family which this man was living with did not catch Ebola......something is very strange about this whole Ebola thing and the CDC does not have no answers for the general public....this is why all the panic and fear about Ebola is taking place all over the world.

As for the nephew of Mr Duncan if he is so certain of everything he is keystroking about being a man of color and no insurance.....why did his uncle put America people at risk from the beginning......going into a public hospital were there is also sick people there waiting in the Emergency Room......why he did not call the CDC from the jet start and tell about his uncle situation before he went to the hospital......I am just saying

It's called flipping the script lol
But he's right about a broken system - they should have been prepared and they likely sent him home because he had yno insurance and given the known racial disparity in us healthcare the fact that he was a black immigrant , cannot be ruled out either as the reason for him being sent home

And you are right about his uncle coming here after carrying an Ebola victim which he claims to not know the sick person was Ebola... That's their story and they are sticking to it

Yep on how come close friends and family have not come down ill ... And people in west African communities outside of west Africa

Colors

STEADY WUK
It's called flipping the script lol
But he's right about a broken system - they should have been prepared and they likely sent him home because he had yno insurance and given the known racial disparity in us healthcare the fact that he was a black immigrant , cannot be ruled out either as the reason for him being sent home

And you are right about his uncle coming here after carrying an Ebola victim which he claims to not know the sick person was Ebola... That's their story and they are sticking to it

Yep on how come close friends and family have not come down ill ... And people in west African communities outside of west Africa
As for turning people away from Emergency Rooms because they have no insurance does not have a skin color or heritage.......many people get turn away from hospitals daily because lack of insurance and etc.......so I do not feel that will stick one bit

Lucianite

As for turning people away from Emergency Rooms because they have no insurance does not have a skin color or heritage.......many people get turn away from hospitals daily because lack of insurance and etc.......so I do not feel that will stick one bit

Racial disparities in healthcare is well documented

Check out the Iom reports.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
PRESIDENT SIGNS EBOLA ORDER
By ANDRE BAGOO Monday, October 20 2014 (T&T Newsday)
Anthony Carmona 03.jpg

PRESIDENT Anthony Carmona has signed an order formally declaring the Ebola virus a dangerous threat to public health, a move which now authorises State officials to take action as required to stem the disease.

A spokesperson at President’s House yesterday said Carmona signed the order on Friday. However, the terms of the order were not released. Minister of Health Dr Fuad Khan confirmed the President had signed the order. He said it would allow local medical officials to take action as required in confirmed – not suspected – cases of Ebola.

“Once you have an infected person, it authorises a lot of things,” Khan stated. “The county medical officer is empowered to enter premises – independently of the police – to look for items, hold articles, ensure sterilisation and disinfection and impose quarantines on families. It gives a certain amount of power in order to protect the public.” It is understood the legal measures – issued under the Public Health Ordinance – also authorise the state to prohibit any infected person from participating in a list of activities likely to spread the virus such as: food preparation, laundering, driving a public transport vehicle, renting a room or attending school.

The multi-sectoral team established by Cabinet to manage the State’s response to the Ebola threat met on Friday and will today meet once again at the National Operations Centre, Knowsley, in order to address the public.

The Ebola Prevention, Information and Response Team (EPIRT) is chaired by Vice Chief of Defence Staff Brigadier Anthony Phillip-Spencer. It includes Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Colin Furlonge, representatives from the Ministry of National Security, the National Operations Centre (NOC), the Ministry of Trade, Industry, Investment and Communications, the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM), the Civil Aviation Authority, the Airports Authority, the Port Authority, Maritime Services Division, the private sector and union representatives.

Commander Gavin Heerah, of the NOC, yesterday said Friday’s meeting dealt with, “response, information, prevention and coordination” but further details will be forthcoming today.

Heerah confirmed one issue the team will have to consider is whether Carnival 2015 could be affected, but said this matter will require input from Government and stakeholders.

“The consideration of cancelling the Carnival has not come up as yet,” he said. “That decision on Carnival will warrant a whole of government decision. If the EPIRT is to guide that, we will do so based on the international situation.”

Heerah said the acquisition of special medical equipment announced as part of the response to Ebola last week is in “its mature stages”, but could not give a timeline for arrival.

There was no word on whether Parliament would be re-convened after a call was made for a special sitting on the Ebola issue by PNM Diego Martin Central MP Amery Browne. While the next sitting of the House of Representatives has not been announced, the Parliament normally observes Private Member’s Day on the fourth Friday of each month, which falls on this Friday.

Last Thursday, the Minister of Health announced a ban on nationals from five countries – Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of the Congo – given concerns over infection via this route. There were reports yesterday, however, that a Nigerian national made it to Piarco and was turned away.

Yesterday, Heerah stated, “As of today there have been no cases of Ebola, suspected or any confirmed reports of any Ebola patients in Trinidad and Tobago.” He further stated, “This critical matter is being addressed and all of the contingencies to treat with it are being put in place.”

More than 4,500 people are believed to have died in the three west African countries worst hit by the Ebola epidemic: Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

One man has died from Ebola in the US; two nurses who treated him at a Texas hospital have contracted the disease. A lab worker from the Dallas hospital who may have handled specimens collected from the first person to be given a diagnosis of Ebola in the US, Thomas Eric Duncan, went into voluntary quarantine in her cabin on a cruise ship along with her husband last Wednesday, after the cruise operator was told by federal authorities that she was on board and tighter travel protocols were being introduced.

The cruise ship, Carnival Magic, docked at Galveston, Texas, yesterday. The lab worker has since tested negative for the virus.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Nigerian woman denied entry into Trinidad
By NALINEE SEELAL Monday, October 20 2014 (T&T Newsday)

A NIGERIAN woman was denied entry into the country on Friday evening shortly after she arrived via a flight from New York, as the Government’s ban on travel into this country of persons from five African nations currently in the grip of the worst ever Ebola epidemic took effect.

Newsday was told the Nigerian woman arrived at Piarco International Airport on Caribbean Airlines flight BW 525 from New York. It is understood that she left Nigeria and travelled to New York before arriving at Piarco.

Immigration officials, on realising the woman held a Nigeria Passport, ushered her to a room at the airport where Port Health officials interviewed her. The woman indicated she came to Trinidad to visit and spend vacation with her daughter who lives in Trinidad.

The Port Health officials later told the woman of the ban instituted by the TT Government on persons travelling from Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. As such, they advised her that she would not be allowed entry into the country.

The woman, Newsday was told, asked to speak to officials of the Nigerian Embassy in this country but was unable to do so. She then asked to speak with her daughter.

The woman then indicated she would lodge a formal protest over being denied entry to her government when she arrives home. She was then placed on a flight, later on Friday evening, bound for New York to get a connector flight to Nigeria.

Brigadier General Phillip Spencer, who is the head of the newly formed Ebola Prevention Response Team confirmed the deportation to Newsday, saying the woman passed a screening test in Nigeria before she left for New York to attend a wedding. In New York, she again passed a screening test. However, because of the mandate by Cabinet, all persons travelling from the five listed West African countries would be denied entry into Trinidad and Tobago.

At last Thursday’s post Cabinet press conference, Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan revealed Cabinet had decided to impose the ban on persons travelling from the five West African nations hit by the Ebola Virus which has caused over 4,000 deaths. In addition, Trini nationals returning from those five nations would have to be quarantined and tested to ensure they do not have the disease.

Immigration sources confirmed this was the first deportation of an individual from the five West African countries to be deported since the ban took effect. Newsday understands Port Health officials have been assigned to all ports of entry to specifically deal with the issue of the Ebola Virus in terms of allowing or refusing persons entry into the country.