Foreign music

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
Please post videos, lyrics or information about music or music forms that are problem alien to the average IMIXer.

NOT African music
NOT Latino/Latin American music
NOT Caribbean or West Indian music
NOT American mainstream popular music (but regional or lesser known music is ok).
Even if it has been discussed on IMIx before.

I will start....

(I have a much better version of Cornbread on my ipod but I can't find it online. It was from limewire days....)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P7a2EMsN3OI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fa8vyTfugcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poca

so you want European and Asian music only?

here is one of my favorite Finnish song

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dqWttkjIBhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qnl7SaEmii0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
?????

No. Not European or Asian only.

Anything not on the list. The songs I posted are neither European nor Asian.

What you put is good.

Also, Australian music would qualify, Native American music, music from Fiji, Arab/Middle Eastern music, etc.

Seawall

The "African" label is very broad. Heck, there are many sounds out of the continent that I have never heard of, and I have thousands of Lps, CDs, and mp3 albums from North, East, West, and South.

Here's Java's Idjah Hadidjah. I bought a CD by her back in the 90's then followed up with a Rough Guide to Indonesia compilation. Of course, Javanese music can be found in Suriname.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/obfj4KvGOZ8?list=PL1AA36A1A2C681A1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Two by the late Pakistani Quawali singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan from the excellent Bandit Queen soundtrack.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t4-w1bFMyME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PDzmNPbaHy4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seawall

Aziza Brahim, music from Western Sahara

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j8rAC8Z9ssg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seawall

Forgot I had this by another popular Indonesian singer.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8kmAYrRZoKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SKBai1991

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dcWfngbdx3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/avLQKpinpI8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zp1m0xbkap4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yKE2mzT2dcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bktrini305

I actually am curious, how much would non-trinidadians/guyanese know about this sort of thing??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XnBbjc5hmho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bktrini305

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CLz7isrAIKo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had a bit of a Singapore obsession last year

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C-hrf3N2o6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seawall

I like Mexico's Lila Downs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ot-JnuliZLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Uzbek singer Sevara Nazarkhan

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t7nlN6Rpvto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WOT4qna1CsU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The late Egyptian singer Oum Kalthoum
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RFHOPaoI5cE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Klezmatics have been around for ages.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lNBIzv1WZZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another "world music" legend.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E5kS0kM7pCA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just to show how far zouk has spread (In reality, the African islands in the Indian Ocean were some of the first Francophone citizens to embrace the genre). Sounds like Swahili.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9iIfZX3VUZs?list=PLB7B26BB43496FFDC" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
I actually am curious, how much would non-trinidadians/guyanese know about this sort of thing??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XnBbjc5hmho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
what do you mean?

Everyone knows Bollywood. It was the dominant form of movie in Nigeria before Nollywood and it is popular in North America and Europe where Indians have migrated. There are theaters in Manhattan that play Bollywood movies. I have personally seen several.

Or do you mean this particular song/group/movie? I have not heard of them so - maybe that is a Trini/Guyanese thing.

bktrini305

what do you mean?

Everyone knows Bollywood. It was the dominant form of movie in Nigeria before Nollywood and it is popular in North America and Europe where Indians have migrated. There are theaters in Manhattan that play Bollywood movies. I have personally seen several.

Or do you mean this particular song/group/movie? I have not heard of them so - maybe that is a Trini/Guyanese thing.

i mean when a bollywood or bhangra song is a big hit is it heard all over the caribbean??

for instance, when this song came out in the 90s you would hear it in certain trini parties and most trines i knew knew this song

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aSWW5OhZiJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and i posted a song by Lata Mangeshkar (to me one of the best vocal writers in the world)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CLz7isrAIKo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Would it have been instantly recognizable, as it was for me when it was sampled in this song. As I recall, there was litigation because the sample was illegal.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ILfdvpIwEfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I suppose, the question is to what degree are people on Imix and in the caribbean exposed to bollywood/bhangra?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rOcH3NbzupM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ve8_6D8eDIs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Note: the original Lotala is actually the Trinidadian song, but it was likely assumed to be copied because the music form is so obviously Indian.

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
Wow! Amazing. I have never heard Finnish/ Uzbek/ Singaporean/ Indonesian music before. And, that Pakistani song was so haunting. Please keep them coming. I am looking for more to add to my playlist.

The girl from Western Sahara looks really Somali to me. Nice song.

(By the way, when I said African I meant Sub-Saharan Black African because in my brain I do not recognize the African-ness of anyone else- but please feel free to post stuff from "White" "Arab" or "Asian" Africa)

Somali

Banned
Wow! Amazing. I have never heard Finnish/ Uzbek/ Singaporean/ Indonesian music before. And, that Pakistani song was so haunting. Please keep them coming. I am looking for more to add to my playlist.

The girl from Western Sahara looks really Somali to me. Nice song.

(By the way, when I said African I meant Sub-Saharan Black African because in my brain I do not recognize the African-ness of anyone else- but please feel free to post stuff from "White" "Arab" or "Asian" Africa)

Why you always mentioning Somalis whenever I serach the word Somali, you pop up.

ewwww