Further discussion about the N word.

TC

Steuuuupssss!
During the time that I first started living in Germany, it was becoming politically incorrect to use the word Neger. Many Germans argued that there was no malice behind the use of the word, so why should they have to stop using it because the "African" population of Germany was growing and it's not like they were actually saying N!gger. (I have mixed opinions in this btw).

I've been to over 20 European countries and (with the exception of the UK) all of them had a national language other than English, and many of these countries had a variation of the word that though spelt slightly differently because of accents etc neger/néger ended up being pronounced similarly. Even though I only speak 4european languages, I could recognize in the languages that I didn't speak or understand,I heard the word Neger because it was pronounced similarly across the languages. In every country I inquired they said that they didn't say the word with a bad or nasty meaning behind it.

In Asia the same thing, I'm hearing the native languages, yet the distinct sound of a word sounding like n!gga could be heard. All the while in all these countries people were treating me like royalty, rushing up to shake my hands(yuck),stroking my hair(double yuck), giving me sweets(chucked in the bin after I and politely and took them). So I don't think they meant to be malicious calling/refering to me as that.

It makes me wonder where all these different people from different cultures picked up that word from? I think I understand that from some languages such as Spanish,Italian,portugese that black is a word similar to neger. But what about the rest where is no such similarity??? Hmmm

What do you guys think about this?
Tawk allyuh tawk
:read:

Missmayling

During the time that I first started living in Germany, it was becoming politically incorrect to use the word Neger. Many Germans argued that there was no malice behind the use of the word, so why should they have to stop using it because the "African" population of Germany was growing and it's not like they were actually saying N!gger. (I have mixed opinions in this btw).

I've been to over 20 European countries and (with the exception of the UK) all of them had a national language other than English, and many of these countries had a variation of the word that though spelt slightly differently because of accents etc neger/néger ended up being pronounced similarly. Even though I only speak 4european languages, I could recognize in the languages that I didn't speak or understand,I heard the word Neger because it was pronounced similarly across the languages. In every country I inquired they said that they didn't say the word with a bad or nasty meaning behind it.

In Asia the same thing, I'm hearing the native languages, yet the distinct sound of a word sounding like n!gga could be heard. All the while in all these countries people were treating me like royalty, rushing up to shake my hands(yuck),stroking my hair(double yuck), giving me sweets(chucked in the bin after I and politely and took them). So I don't think they meant to be malicious calling/refering to me as that.

It makes me wonder where all these different people from different cultures picked up that word from? I think I understand that from some languages such as Spanish,Italian,portugese that black is a word similar to neger. But what about the rest where is no such similarity??? Hmmm

Tawk allyuh tawk
I heard the N word in china, but it had nothing to do with race.

Lucianite

whats your point ?

"negro" means Black in a lot of these languages you speak of

thats different form "N1gger" - if theyr's jsut saying negro for black, that is not the issue

bottom line if a significant group of people find a wrod offensive you should respect that especially if you are not of that group

Seawall

Tawk allyuh tawk

Only 4 European languages....:clapping:

TC

Steuuuupssss!

whats your point ?

"negro" means Black in a lot of these languages you speak of

thats different form "N1gger" - if theyr's jsut saying negro for black, that is not the issue

bottom line if a significant group of people find a wrod offensive you should respect that especially if you are not of that group
Regarding the underlined, is me you deh wid? If so: In German black is Schwarz, in Hungarian is feteke,Turkish is siyah, Norwegian is svart,Lithuanian is joudah,in Czech is černy, in Vietnamese is den. So my question again is what does one put it down to that countries with not many (if any) black people, that they have a word sounding like n!gga to refer to a black person...

TC

Steuuuupssss!
Only 4 European languages....:clapping:
Yeah 4 other than English(European languages)but I speak more than 5 in total and understand more than 8 languages in total. Some languages that I don't speak are close enough to the ones I speak for me to understand them.

Seawall

Yeah 4 other than English(European languages)but I speak more than 5 in total and understand more than 8 languages in total. Some languages that I don't speak are close enough to the ones I speak for me to understand them.
Very impressive!