Greatest Show on earth!!!

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Have to agree with LIONESS onda RISE. Our carnival has lost most if not all of its' past creativity. We saw real creativity with designs from Peter Minshall, Wayne Berkley, Alvin Kalliecharan and such great mas men. Mas in Trinidad is now just a bikini and feathers. This is exactly what Brazil Carnival parade has been about for decades. LIONESS, you are correct. While Brazil may not have the pre-shows, calypso monarch competitions, etc., they are the ones who made mas into a string bikini, head dress and feathers. Now this is where we are. Thousands of dollars for a non-costume, with our women folk gyrating half naked down the streets. The creativity is gone.
The feathers and binki/thong is but one aspect. When you look at the overall presentation of the various samba schools, the vast majority of masqueraders are covered up. What I love about them, is even if you don't speak Portuguese, you can figure out what the theme of the school is...the costumes tell the story.

dedetriniking

Its about personal taste eh. Dermonger like to run with a wild crowd, ms campbell is all about the samba....for me the minute I hear a large steelband band put down a good tune that is all i need to be firm in my belief that no other carnivals compare to tnt's.

Nothing moves me quite the same.

I remember my very first time on the barbagreen in the middle of a large band running through the last drill of their panorama song...that was the moment for me.

DerMonger

Have to agree with LIONESS onda RISE. Our carnival has lost most if not all of its' past creativity. We saw real creativity with designs from Peter Minshall, Wayne Berkley, Alvin Kalliecharan and such great mas men. Mas in Trinidad is now just a bikini and feathers. This is exactly what Brazil Carnival parade has been about for decades. LIONESS, you are correct. While Brazil may not have the pre-shows, calypso monarch competitions, etc., they are the ones who made mas into a string bikini, head dress and feathers. Now this is where we are. Thousands of dollars for a non-costume, with our women folk gyrating half naked down the streets. The creativity is gone.
Great post. I remember being in TT when Minshall was still designing. I think his theme that year was "Tapestry" with people in all these robes. . Now the emphasis flesh on display in all these pics you see and some of these IMIX Trini's have the audacity to boast of being the trendsetters for others? And can't even admit the direction their road presentation has taken has foreign influences from Rio & Sao Paulo. They're too nationalistic and full of pride to admit so.

What a complete joke that a people unwilling to step out of/and or educate themselves about the goings ons outside their sphere of influence can claim to " know" how much influence they have elsewhere or how others stack up vs them.

This clown Notorious Saga arrives on cue bringing his usual "IMIX is against us Trinis" nonsense as a smokescreen.

Even the "big truck" Trini's (and us elsewhere) celebrate at on the road. That was a innovation created by Dodo n Osmar in 1950 in Salvador. If anything the Jamaicans are the ones with influence carnival down there with Bob Marley, reggae music and the rasta influence in general.

DerMonger

Its about personal taste eh. Dermonger like to run with a wild crowd, ms campbell is all about the samba....for me the minute I hear a large steelband band put down a good tune that is all i need to be firm in my belief that no other carnivals compare to tnt's.

Nothing moves me quite the same.
Haha, yeah now suddenly it's about "personal taste" when in the other thread you're labelling her a "traitor" for saying she regretted missing out on Rio?

I guess you're the authority for what your compatriots find fun or not. Dude.....you sure know how to play both sides of the fence.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
The feathers and binki/thong is but one aspect. When you look at the overall presentation of the various samba schools, the vast majority of masqueraders are covered up. What I love about them, is even if you don't speak Portuguese, you can figure out what the theme of the school is...the costumes tell the story.
Thank you. People on here really must not pay much attention to Brazil Carnaval or Trinidad for that matter to think that it and Trini Carnival are that similar at all.

Maybe I'll make it next year too...I have come to love samba!

did I say they were the same? if anyone is setting any worldwide trends, its not Trinidad with respect to carnival. if not for brazil, where would all of those pretty, pretty costumes had come from?:scratch

anywhoo..:vampire:
Again, what Ms. Campbell said. There are pretty Carnival costumes around the world...it's mas. Plenty other nations have been doing Carnival for far longer than Brazil and have kept their traditions rather than patterning after Brazil.

Carnival in Trinidad is not just costumes either. There are other longstanding traditions that are part of the festival.

dedetriniking

Haha, yeah now suddenly it's about "personal taste" when in the other thread you're labelling her a "traitor" for saying she regretted missing out on Rio?

I guess you're the authority for what your compatriots find fun or not. Dude.....you sure know how to play both sides of the fence.
Nah man I was only ribbing ms Campbell. She doesn't give a rats arse what I think n e way.

Hear dis trini carnival is a complete package and to me the road is the least creative of all the aspects of tnt carnival. It's great fun if your in the mix but it's creativity has declined over the years.

notorious saga

Sagattarius
Great post. I remember being in TT when Minshall was still designing. I think his theme that year was "Tapestry" with people in all these robes. . Now the emphasis flesh on display in all these pics you see and some of these IMIX Trini's have the audacity to boast of being the trendsetters for others? And can't even admit the direction their road presentation has taken has foreign influences from Rio & Sao Paulo. They're too nationalistic and full of pride to admit so.

What a complete joke that a people unwilling to step out of/and or educate themselves about the goings ons outside their sphere of influence can claim to " know" how much influence they have elsewhere or how others stack up vs them.

This clown Notorious Saga arrives on cue bringing his usual "IMIX is against us Trinis" nonsense as a smokescreen.

Even the "big truck" Trini's (and us elsewhere) celebrate at on the road. That was a innovation created by Dodo n Osmar in 1950 in Salvador. If anything the Jamaicans are the ones with influence carnival down there with Bob Marley, reggae music and the rasta influence in general.
DumbMongrel why would I give ah fock about "us against Trinis"? when I'm always talking shit about Jamaicans on here? stop getting yuh panties in a hog tie and know when ol talk throwing.