HappY indepedence to the Dominican's (D.R.)

haitianprince

100 % Ayisien-0% yankee
Wish you many more Dominican Republic was a former Colony of spain and haiti ......enjoy your day I know the doiminicans in washingon heights and bushwick and the Bronx enjoying there day in the states. I know the real fete is in Santo Domingo,D.R.

123KINGpapi

Dominican national anthem

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nG-O5ZyaqzQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:cray:

SKBai1991

Considering the DR has had to declare independence 3 times, I always wondered why Dominicans only celebrate independence from Haiti. Haiti was only there for 22 years, whereas Spain was there for over 300, both before and AFTER the Haitian occupation.

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
Considering the DR has had to declare independence 3 times, I always wondered why Dominicans only celebrate independence from Haiti. Haiti was only there for 22 years, whereas Spain was there for over 300, both before and AFTER the Haitian occupation.

:kicks you know why!

Oneshot

where de crix
and why haitianprince bigginup a colony when he should be planning to reclaim it for his breddrins

123KINGpapi

There wasn't a national identity before Jean Pierre Boyer and his soldiers invaded the Eastern side of the island (now known as the Dominican Republic) , DR did not exist by then. There was something called Republic of Spanish Haiti, It was also called Santo Domingo.

As you can see on the map (above), the Haitian territory was much smaller than it is today and for those interested in knowing, the territory lost by Santo Domingo was the size of Puerto Rico.

The Dominican Restoration War was a guerrilla war between 1863 and 1865 in the Dominican Republic between nationalists and Spain, who was trying re-colonized the country 17 years after its independence. It ended with a Dominican victory and the withdrawal of Spanish forces from the country.

Spain has never ruled the Dominican Republic. They tried, but they never did.

In 1844 the Dominican Republic declared its first and only Constitution and the national pride was born after that.

:kicks you know why!
Actually, no. He doesn't know "why", and neither do you.

SKBai1991

There wasn't a national identity before Jean Pierre Boyer and his soldiers invaded the Eastern side of the island (now known as the Dominican Republic) , DR did not exist by then. There was something called Republic of Spanish Haiti, It was also called Santo Domingo.

As you can see on the map (above), the Haitian territory was much smaller than it is today and for those interested in knowing, the territory lost by Santo Domingo was the size of Puerto Rico.

The Dominican Restoration War was a guerrilla war between 1863 and 1865 in the Dominican Republic between nationalists and Spain, who was trying re-colonized the country 17 years after its independence. It ended with a Dominican victory and the withdrawal of Spanish forces from the country.

Spain has never ruled the Dominican Republic. They tried, but they never did.

In 1844 the Dominican Republic declared its first and only Constitution and the national pride was born after that.
I'm familiar with all of that, however I always heard that the Restoration War was a result of the DR having voluntarily reverted back to colonial status, and then the nationalists fighting that agreement.

Interestingly enough, several of the leaders who fought in that war were exiled to Haiti, and received some aid from the Haitian government

Ayisyen

I'm familiar with all of that, however I always heard that the Restoration War was a result of the DR having voluntarily reverted back to colonial status, and then the nationalists fighting that agreement.

Interestingly enough, several of the leaders who fought in that war were exiled to Haiti, and received some aid from the Haitian government
Exactly Pedro Santana gave DR back to the Spanish Crown...the only latin american country in history to voluntarily revert back to its colonial status...hence why Santana immediately went after the Trinitarios who were pro independent(no Haiti, no Spain, no France, no Britain, no US)...

Also Haiti did aid with the Restoration War as they were fearful of a European colonial power re-establishing themselves on the border...not to metion La Trinitaria also worked with Haitian officials who were not happy with the Boyer administration on both sides of the island...that is why the Haitian army did not put up much of a fight at all...

Which brings me to my next question...is every occupied country a colony of the occupant? I guess Haiti/DR are former colonies of the US...

123KINGpapi

Exactly Pedro Santana gave DR back to the Spanish Crown...the only latin american country in history to voluntarily revert back to its colonial status...hence why Santana immediately went after the Trinitarios who were pro independent(no Haiti, no Spain, no France, no Britain, no US)...

Also Haiti did aid with the Restoration War as they were fearful of a European colonial power re-establishing themselves on the border...not to metion La Trinitaria also worked with Haitian officials who were not happy with the Boyer administration on both sides of the island...that is why the Haitian army did not put up much of a fight at all...
Pedro Santa was a conspirator and a traitor, not a patriot. His loyalty was to Spain, not to the Dominican Republic. You can not fight against the will of an independent nation and that's why he lost the war.

Which brings me to my next question...is every occupied country a colony of the occupant? I guess Haiti/DR are former colonies of the US...
The inhabitants of DR and Haiti were never considered U.S. citizens, so we have never been an American colony.

Ayisyen

Pedro Santa was a conspirator and a traitor, not a patriot. His loyalty was to Spain, not to the Dominican Republic. You can not fight against the will of an independent nation and that's why he lost the war.

The inhabitants of DR and Haiti were never considered U.S. citizens, so we have never been an American colony.
So why do DR sees Haiti as more of an enemy rather than Spain? When Spain colonized DR for over 300 years before and AFTER the Haitian occupation(which itself lasted 22 years)...especially considering the fact that Haiti aided in the Dominican Restoration War...

123KINGpapi

Who killed more Dominicans... Spaniards or Haitians??

The Spaniards did not colonized Dominican Republic, they colonized the island even long before the French arrived, and long after that (more than 300 years) some of those Spaniards along with Slaves and few natives turned into Dominicans.

Also, some Dominicans hate Spaniards even today. You may not realize it, but we are not all the same!

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
So why do DR sees Haiti as more of an enemy rather than Spain? When Spain colonized DR for over 300 years before and AFTER the Haitian occupation(which itself lasted 22 years)...especially considering the fact that Haiti aided in the Dominican Restoration War...
ding! ding! ding! :kicks

Seriously though Happy independence to you all! Lemme take a dance to my favorite tunes for you all. :dance:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qIEixx_FORo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QweFe4CeAJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1H9y_qDty-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ayisyen

Who killed more Dominicans... Spaniards or Haitians??

The Spaniards did not colonized Dominican Republic, they colonized the island even long before the French arrived, and long after that (more than 300 years) some of those Spaniards along with Slaves and few natives turned into Dominicans.

Also, some Dominicans hate Spaniards even today. You may not realize it, but we are not all the same!
I don't understand what you mean by this...that's like me saying the French did not colonize Haiti :confused...when ppl say Haiti was a former colony of France...ppl understand they are referring to the creole ppl of St.Domingue that would eventually become the citizens of Haiti...samething for DR...the way you say DR was never colonized by Spain...it almost sounds like you are saying Dominicans never went thru colonalism/slavery...and even if you wanted to use this extreme case of technicality...DR WAS colonized by Spain when it voluntarily reverted back to its colonial status(Santana being viewed as a traitor doesn't change this fact).

Regarding who killed more Dominicans...I know you are referring to the incident that occured when Dessalines went over to DR...but I actually do not know the numbers(what are the estimates?)...either way that was one incident...just like the actions of Trujillo doesn't make all Dominicans the enemies of Haitians...what remains fact is that if it wasn't for Touissaint and Dessalines...there would be no Haiti and DR...the Spanish only had interest in keeping DR as a slave colony...they did it for over 300 years...and tried to do it again after DR was founded(which Haiti aided in the restoration war)...I can't comprehend how that would make Spain less of an enemy in comparision to the Haitians who at the end of the day were more concerned with freedom and the abolishment of slavery on both sides of the island...

I could understand Dominicans not being a fan of Dessalines but what about Touissaint? Do they not understand if it wasn't for the Haitian Revolution...most likely(as in a 99.9% chance) the culture/nation of Dominican Republic they love wouldn't exist...

When Boyer invaded DR...it wasn't to ethnically wipe out Dominicans...at the time it made sense...the Haitians kicked out the French not too long ago...they were fearful of a French comeback...the eastern border of the island was completely open...it's only natural logic to try to unify an island under one country...ok it didn't work...it was an administration both Haitians and Dominicans were unhappy with...hence La Trinitaria working with Haitians...

The only other attempts made to invade DR was by that IDIOTA Faustin Soulouque(who was a lieutanant in Boyer's administration) during the 1850's...

Either way I do know the average Dominican doesn't feel as strongly about colonialism/slavery...considering the conditions were much more tame...in comparision to Haiti...at the time I think they were an equal number of Spanish colonialists to mulatto/black slaves in DR...compared to 500,000 slaves and 50,000 french colonists/"les gen des couleurs libres"...either way it doesn't change the fact that slavery is still slavery at the end of the day...it was just a difference of field slaves vs house slaves(who were more loyal to their masters, since they had "better" treatment)...