High Prevalence Of Depression Among Trinidadians

8thWonder

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/820/art%253A10.1186%252F1471-2296-8-25.pdf?originUrl=http%3A%2F%2Flink.springer.com%2Farticle%2F10.1186%2F1471-2296-8-25&token2=exp=1449643309~acl=%2Fstatic%2Fpdf%2F820%2Fart%25253A10.1186%25252F1471-2296-8-25.pdf%3ForiginUrl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Flink.springer.com%252Farticle%252F10.1186%252F1471-2296-8-25*~hmac=5f96c273fa493beb9491619730f3c13b550ab5310778d2bba5af45632f5fd6ef

Sixty-five of the respondents (12.8% (95% CI 9.9–15.7))
were determined to be depressed. Four percent of patients
admitted to suicidal ideation almost every day for the last
two weeks.

This paper adds to a growing literature that illustrates the
mental health burden facing this population. Among adolescents
in Tobago, the sister isle to Trinidad, [12], adolescents
in Trinidad [13,14], among attendees at chronic
disease clinics in the south-west region [15] and general
practice attendees with fatigue [16] the prevalence of
depression was 10%, 28%, 28% and 66% respectively

Additionally a survey carried out by medical
students, also in 2002, revealed that among females
attending Trinidadian family practices, their experience of
intimate partner abuse was as high as 27
% [31].

Conclusion
There is a burden of depressive disorders in Trinidadian
family practice, with about 1 in 8 patients having a depressive
disorder and about 4% of participants admitting to
suicidal ideation most of the time in the previous 2 weeks.

Further this paper suggests that younger patients of lower
educational status who were not currently in a relationship
were more likely to be depressed. The common RFEs
in Trinidadian family practice include 'check-up', joint
pains, upper respiratory infections and hypertension.​

For people who does like to lime I would never expect it to be that high.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Please don't get yourself depressed worrying about how depressed you think Trinbagonians might be.

Instead why not put on some soca music or go to a Carnival and wine on a nice female bumper like most depressed Trinis tend to do and you will no longer have the time or need to worried about how depressed you feel Trinbagonians might be.

And no need to thank me for the great advice.

8thWonder

Please don't get yourself depressed worrying about how depressed you think Trinbagonians might be.

Instead why not put on some soca music or go to a Carnival and wine on a nice female bumper like most depressed Trinis tend to do and you will no longer have the time or need to worried about how depressed you feel Trinbagonians might be.

And no need to thank me for the great advice.
What makes you think I am depressed?
lol I found it interesting because Trinidadians do like to lime and celebrate carnival, so the depression is a quite surprising. You seem like such jovial people.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
What makes you think I am depressed?
lol I found it interesting because Trinidadians do like to lime and celebrate carnival, so the depression is a quite surprising. You seem like such jovial people.
Trinbagonians are no different to most Caribbean people in our appetite for fun and partying so don't allow stuff that you read based upon a handful of people who were surveyed all the back in 2002 to mislead you.

Most Trinis get depressed just after Carnival when they realize they have to wait another 365 days for the next T&T Carnival or realize that they spent most of their cash on Carnival and have a heap of bills facing them so maybe the survey was done just after carnival, who knows.

8thWonder

Trinbagonians are no different to most Caribbean people in our appetite for fun and partying so don't allow stuff that you read based upon a handful of people who were surveyed all the back in 2002 mislead you.

Most Trinis get depressed just after Carnival when they realize they have to wait another 365 days for the next T&T Carnival or realize that they spent most of their cash on Carnival and have a heap of bills facing them so maybe the survey was done just after carnival, who knows.
So sad Trinis would wait for the next 365 days for Carnival when they could lime in between that time.And wouldn't it be 364 days since Jourvert predats the carnival?

Lucianite

thats kindda sad - IF TRUE

but I don't think " depression" was determined by a survey asking " are you depressed"

I would think this is based on medical records for clinical depression...

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
So sad Trinis would wait for the next 365 days for Carnival when they could lime in between that time.And wouldn't it be 364 days since Jourvert predats the carnival?
I said 365 days for next T&T Carnival. I never said that they do not attend other Carnivals between then. In fact most of the many Trini style carnivals around the world outside of the Caribbean region were started by Trinis exactly because a group of Trinis decided that they could not handle waiting a full 365 days to experience another Trini style carnival.

Also why would one day matter because I said 365 days and not 364 days? What if the following year is a leap year?! It seems that you are trolling and out to waste my time on none issues so let me take my exit from this trolling thread.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
thats kindda sad - IF TRUE

but I don't think " depression" was determined by a survey asking " are you depressed"

I would think this is based on medical records for clinical depression...
I think the sad truth is that most of you posters here are depressed trollers who are reaching for intelligent topics to post about and failing dismally.

Jamrok

jamrock
I knew it! Trinis have a low self esteem and always end up embarrassed when they try to compete with Jamaicans. No wonder they are depressed.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
I knew it! Trinis have a low self esteem and always end up embarrassed when they try to compete with Jamaicans. No wonder they are depressed.
Stop trolling my friend. Nothing was mentioned of Jamaica in this thread until your arrival.

I guess someone is feeling deprived of attention and in this case it is not Trinis unless you are an undercover Trini.

8thWonder

I said 365 days for next T&T Carnival. I never said that they do not attend other Carnivals between then. In fact most of the many Trini style carnivals around the world outside of the Caribbean region were started by Trinis exactly because a group of Trinis decided that they could not handle waiting a full 365 days to experience another Trini style carnival.

Also why would one day matter because I said 365 days and not 364 days? What if the following year is a leap year?! It seems that you are trolling and out to waste my time on none issues so let me take my exit from this trolling thread.

Hmm interesting so you are saying Trinis attend other carnivals around the world to not be depressed.I thought the Trini Carnival is the best one there is .

Also many Carnivals in the Caribbean happen around the same time as Trinidad's (with the exception of Crop Over and a few others).Kinda crazy Trinis would attend the knock off ones.

And its non-issues NOT none-issues.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Hmm interesting so you are saying Trinis attend other carnivals around the world to not be depressed.I thought the Trini Carnival is the best one there is .

Also many Carnivals in the Caribbean happen around the same time as Trinidad's (with the exception of Crop Over and a few others).Kinda crazy Trinis would attend the knock off ones.

And its non-issues NOT none-issues.
Your posts here are very trollish and rather pointless.

I am out, I shouldn't have fed you in the first place.

TriniJuan is correct about most of you posters here.

8thWonder

Your posts here are very trollish and rather pointless.

I am out, I shouldn't have fed you in the first place.

TriniJuan is correct about most of you posters here.
I am picking up too much pity and shame from your reply.But it's outrageous to call me a troll just because the convo don't go your way.,instead of saying you shouldn't of fed me, just say you couldn't respond with an adequate comeback.

Lol @TriniJuan that joker isn't even a Trini.

notorious saga

Sagattarius
Just recently it had an article saying Trinis were ranked with someone of happiest people in the world, wha happen from then to now hmm? lemme guess it's the recession, dais what they will blame it on. hahaha

If Trinis happy nobody happy, if Trinis depress everybody happy.

But people doh study Trinidadians. LOL

Trini Juan

par wid devil n lock hell
I am picking up too much pity and shame from your reply.But it's outrageous to call me a troll just because the convo don't go your way.,instead of saying you shouldn't of fed me, just say you couldn't respond with an adequate comeback.

Lol @TriniJuan that joker isn't even a Trini.
Yet that joker had a point
Most you biatches are dumb n aggressive
In any case socapro is usually always DEFENDING his country n music etc

And I think truly believes what he writes n is passionate about it

Such a person is easy to troll
And folks like u find great pleasure in doing so

I am trini Juan cause I like trinis
Yanky trolls don't understand such things

What was your name before this one?
Point proven
U ashamed of the character u had before

Yet yes most of u claim u here to giggle aka fun

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Just recently it had an article saying Trinis were ranked with someone of happiest people in the world, wha happen from then to now hmm? lemme guess it's the recession, dais what they will blame it on. hahaha

The article he posted is from 2002 which is over 13 years ago!

As I said we are only feeding the troll by entertaining the fellow.

8thWonder

The article he posted is from 2002 which is over 13 years ago!

As I said we are only feeding the troll by entertaining the fellow.
BMC Fam Pract. 2007 Apr 26
Depression and the nature of Trinidadian family practice: a cross-sectional study.

Umm,nope not exactly this was compiled from different analysis and surveys througout the years and released in 2007.

TriniReporter

Trinidad and Tobago Named Happiest Country in the Caribbean

The destination’s bourgeoning culinary scene, world renowned beaches and numerous festivals bring out the happiness in both locals and visitors alike.

Ever wonder why Trinis are so happy? Well, it’s not just because of Carnival and Callaloo. According to the World Happiness Report from the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network released on September 8th, the destination ranked highest in happiness in the Caribbean and 31st in the world. This isn’t surprising however. With its vibrant lifestyle, dynamic mix of culture, booming business center, strong government and, of course, Carnival, which is the largest cultural festival in the Caribbean, there’s no surprise that the dual-island nation of Trinidad and Tobago leads the way in happiness in the Caribbean.

According to the study there were six key variables factored into its conclusions: “Real GDP per capita, healthy life expectancy, having someone to count on, perceived freedom to make life choices, freedom from corruption and generosity.”

The destination’s bourgeoning culinary scene and numerous festivals, combined with local steel pan music and world-renowned beaches, bring out the happiness in both locals and visitors alike. Whether sampling street food on “The Avenue” [Ariapita Avenue], moving to the music at cultural and food festivals, getting a taste of adventure in the mountains of Trinidador unwinding on Pigeon Point beach in Tobago, Trinbagonians have plenty of reasons to smile.

In addition, with 15 public holidays last year, Trinidad and Tobago is among the top ten countries in the world for the number of public holidays. Who wouldn’t want a few extra days off from work/school per year?

Read More; Trinidad and Tobago Named Happiest Country in the Caribbean