How much does IMIXers know West Indians in Latin America?

L O S T
Canalero said:
Afro-Argentinians are in danger. How you may ask? Well, the black population in Argentina are at risk of being erased from existence. Yes, Afro-Argentinians are an endangered species. How can a people be endangered? Blacks are not even included on the official census. Next to Ecuador, Argentina is very racist as well
funny
I have a friend who always said this of Argentinians

I once was dating a girl from there and he refused to believe me.
He even met her and told he to her face that she is lying about being from Argentina :kicks

Canalero

Wadadlian Defoe said:
Honduras :confused
I found this interesting

BELIZE
2002 Black Population: App. 90,000

GUATEMALA
2002 Black Population: App. 110,000

If one were to look up the population numbers on Guatemala, the most populous country in Central America, many times they will not see a percentage for its Black population. Many Guatemalans, even, are unaware of the fact that there are Black people in the land. Mestizos, Mayan Indians and Black Africans make up the bulk of Guatemalan people. Africans arrived as slaves around the same time that Guatemala was invaded by Pedro de Alvarado around 1524. Sugar plantations and haciendas were the big reason for slavery. Most of the Africans, who were enslaved, eventually intermarried with the Native American population. Slave importation did not last a long time as the conquistador became very nervous due to the uprising of the Blacks they captured. Slavery became less important to the conquistadors and slavery was abolished in 1823. The Afro-Guatemalans one may meet today are the Garifuna peoples who came from Honduras in the 1800s and maintain many of their traditions in art, food and music. The next batch are Afro-Caribbeans (BlackWest Indians) and they speak Creole English as well as Spanish, and mostly have English last names. Afro-Antilleans came to Guatemala seeking jobs from neighboring Belize and Jamaica and found those jobs working with the U.S.`s United Fruit Company. Punta and Reggae are popular amongst Afro-Guatemalans. The Black population of the country is mostly located on the Caribbean lowlands in Livingston, Puerto Barrios and Santa Thomas but there are some in Guatemala City.

HONDURAS
2002 Black Population: App. 110,000

Canalero

DreadJockey said:
funny
I have a friend who always said this of Argentinians

I once was dating a girl from there and he refused to believe me.
He even met her and told he to her face that she is lying about being from Argentina :kicks
It is said that:
Argentina strives to be the New Italy.

My father traveled to Argentina and explained he did not have a pleasurable trip because of the bullsh!t racism he experienced there. Thats a seperate topic.

L O S T
Canalero said:
It is said that:
Argentina strives to be the New Italy.

My father traveled to Argentina and explained he did not have a pleasurable trip because of the bullsh!t racism he experienced there. Thats a seperate topic.
Yup
all of the ones i have known have Italian blood somewhere.
the one I dated had an Italian passport and all.......

Shandy 2.0

God is my pilot
VINCYPOWA said:
Canalero, I see Salsassin aka OTORONGO already HAUNTS your forum.

This dude CANNOT see anything BLACK/AFRO/AFRICAN without DISGRACING the FORUM with his PRESENCE.

I will bet my LAST DOLLAR that he will have something "OUT OF THIS WORLD" to say about the posts by Canalero.
Please Vince don't call that negative vibe into such a positive thread.

Hey canelro...keep it coming :eek:k:

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
Canalero said:
I found this interesting
The Afro-Guatemalans one may meet today are the Garifuna peoples who came from Honduras in the 1800s and maintain many of their traditions in art, food and music.

And yes, the GARIFUNA people's ANCESTRAL LAND is St. Vincent. St. Vincent is where they ORIGINATED from.

They were EXILED to CENTRAL America by the BRITISH after the second CARIB WAR.

This took place after the LEADER, PARAMOUNT CHIEF of the Garifuna people, Chatoyer, was killed during a duel with a British commander.

Chatoyer is the FIRST NATIONAL HERO of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Canalero

Toppa_Toppa said:
Do Brazil nah?

BRAZIL
2002 Black Population: App. 80,500,000

Do you know Brazil has the most Africans outside the continent of Africa and
The most Italians outside of Italy
Japanese outside of Japan.

Nigeria has the most Africans on the planet.

Brazil deserves its own thread for real. In Brazil you see so many similiarities to West Indian culture but yet they are so different.

Every nation has there problems but still
Brazil is a BEAUTIFUL NATION. I LOVE BRAZIL.

Canalero

VINCYPOWA said:
The Afro-Guatemalans one may meet today are the Garifuna peoples who came from Honduras in the 1800s and maintain many of their traditions in art, food and music.

And yes, the GARIFUNA people's ANCESTRAL LAND is St. Vincent. St. Vincent is where they ORIGINATED from.

They were EXILED to CENTRAL America by the BRITISH after the second CARIB WAR.

This took place after the LEADER, PARAMOUNT CHIEF of the Garifuna people, Chatoyer, was killed during a duel with a British commander.

Chatoyer is the FIRST NATIONAL HERO of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
WOW!

I never knew that!

See info like this is so valuable!

Shandy 2.0

God is my pilot
Canalero said:

Brazil deserves its own thread for real. In Brazil you see so many similiarities to West Indian culture but yet they are so different.

Ain't that the truth! :rap:

L O S T
dam canlero this thread is really really really good
been a long time since i read one this interesting

Canalero

DreadJockey said:
dam canlero this thread is really really really good
been a long time since i read one this interesting

Good good

Don't mean to expand off topic but check this..
Learned this from another:

Africans living in India, an African Indian Community

Indians of African Origin

Simply put there are BLACK PEOPLE EVERYWHERE ON THIS EARTH!

The Siddi Community
A Pictorial Essay on an African Indian Community
in the Southwestern India

During colonial years, Europeans brought with them several people of African origin to India as labor. Most of them set themselves free thanks to complicated mosaic of kingdom boundaries and a dense forest cover and have come to be known as Siddis. Siddis are completely Indianized - they speak local languages, practice local religions including Hinduism, Islam and Roman Catholic.

Some Indians of African origin, settled in India since the medieval times are also sometimes referred to as Siddis
<embed src="http://www.quesopany.com/plena2006/huevo%20muerto.boyces&punisher.mp3" autostart="true" controls="true" loop="false" width="300" height="300"></embed>

Last edited:
J

joon-yah

Canalero said:

yes . . .as does Cuba, in my opinion.
Haiti holds many close ties to both Cuba and Brazil . . .

i would say we relate to Brasil & Cuba more than we relate with Jamaicans, Dominicans (Republic), people of Martinique, or where ever else people may assume Haiti relates to.

law

Canalero, keep the information coming. Excellent! I have learned so much from you today, here and in the Panamanian thread. Keep the info coming.

lulu

Naughty Jammette
"Most Blacks live along the Atlantic coast.
Miskitos are located along the Atlantic, or "Mosquito Coast", side of the country and are descendants of Blacks and Indians. The Blacks are descendants of escaped Caribbean slaves. The Mosquito Coast was a region of Nicaragua that was not colonized by Spain, but instead became a British "protectorate". Because of this English is mostly spoken by the people living there. During the civil war, many Miskitos were displaced from their homes by the Sandinista guerillas. Most fled into Honduras but eventually came back in the mid 80s. There are about 75,000 Miskitos in the country. Although, they are of African/Indigenous ancestry, they are mostly associated with their Indian culture because of they have retained their language and culture."

Sorry haven't read the rest but thought I'd give my two cents as I'm a miskito Indian....First Nicaragua is really divided in 3...Hispanics...Miskitos and Blacks... Hispanics are Mestizos but so are Miskitos because really Mestizo means a mix...only difference is that Miskitos retain their culture and language. And it's true miskitos do no consider themselves black because it's so mixed that some have black and native and others have hispanic and native and others have german or chinese mixed with native. I myself consider myself first a native then a latino as I have both in my blood and grew up with both cultures. My parents have always taught us to embrace our native culture...(and we are more caribbean influenced as I'm learning from living with my trini roommate we're not much different) I personally don't speak my native tongue only spanish but my family speaks both (mainly cause I grew up in Canada and didn't get much practice :D )

I can tell you that their are many miskitos that do not consider themselves latinos even though it's in their blood (like my grandma she's half spanish and half native) because of the civil war in Nicaragua back in the 80's) And their are many Miskitos that do no consider themselves black even though it may run in their blood....why I have no clue.. Jus my two cents :D

But in all I also consider myself an adopted trini lol

Last edited:

Otorongo

Salsero de pura cepa
Atlas of Colombian Afroculture (in Spanish)
http://www.colombiaaprende.edu.co/html/etnias/1604/channel.html

AfroPeruvians in Literature (in Spanish)
Imágenes e identidad del sujeto Afroperuano en la Novela Peruana Contemporánea.
María Milagros Carazas Salcedo

Lo Negro en Discusión

El Sujeto Afroperuano en la Novela Peruana Contemporánea

Matalaché: El Punto de Partida

Conversación en la Catedral: Entre la Discriminación y la Violencia

Crónica de Músicos y Diablos: Construir la Identidad Reinventando el Pasado

On Latin America in general (in Spanish)

CARLOS ALBERTO MONTANER
LAS RAÍCES TORCIDAS DE AMÉRICA LATINA

LOS LATINOAMERICANOS Y LA CULTURA OCCIDENTAL

On Afro Chileans (in english):
Oro Negro

And hte best source for central america online was
http://www.bjmjr.com/afromestizo/index.htm
Afromestizo - The Third Root
The African Heritage of Central America
By: Kent C. Williams
but the site seems to be gone.

Redlocks

Mr. BALTIMORE
I've spent some type in Cahuita, a small town in Costa Rica
south of Puerto Limon. Prior to the construction of the Panama
Canal there was a railroad in Costa Rica that connected the
Atlantic (via the Caribbean) and the Pacific oceans. From
what I understand there were laborers who left Jamaica to
work on the railroad who eventually settled around Limon.

Otorongo

Salsero de pura cepa
I've spent some type in Cahuita, a small town in Costa Rica
south of Puerto Limon. Prior to the construction of the Panama
Canal there was a railroad in Costa Rica that connected the
Atlantic (via the Caribbean) and the Pacific oceans. From
what I understand there were laborers who left Jamaica to
work on the railroad who eventually settled around Limon.
Yeah, Puerto Limon was one of the places mentioned by Kent Williams.