How the race issues got into Trinidad Politics.

TriniReporter

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r1UtQreyp8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TriniReporter

Reporter update us ner... I hearing the result bring a real surge in racism in trini???
Mostly angry comments from losing supporters, gossip and rumors. There has been no reports of any violence or civil dis-obedience. T&T people have a history of respecting whatever is the election outcome and not resorting to violence.

Ive seen a series of real venomous posts and they seem to be very one sided and specific. Didint realise it was that bad over there. Havent heard of any violence, but that level of racism from a caribbean country, wow

notorious saga

Sagattarius
Election time racial slurs nothing new, only thing new is now we have social media to express the emotions of a losing battle. I felt the same way when Kamla won the election as these people feeling right now. so it cuts both ways, it's only since yesterday I started back flying my Trini flag from since 2010. it will all go away with a couple shots of puncheon rum, have no fear. if it was serious you would hear nuff cases of Indians drinking gramoxone cause their party lost but this is not the case. Come carnival 2K16 everybody will be winenin wid each other like one big family, well except the older heads of course.

I see this the same way as the police brutality, white people say all kind of shit on social media because it's a shield from the real world, would they go to the source and say it to their face? I doubt it.

not nice to see that caribbean people have that kind of mentality... is one thing to see it in big countries, but not the places you run to just to get away from all that systematic opression.

Over the past week I have seen so many similar posts, this is a hard pill to swallow.

notorious saga

Sagattarius
not nice to see that caribbean people have that kind of mentality... is one thing to see it in big countries, but not the places you run to just to get away from all that systematic opression.

Over the past week I have seen so many similar posts, this is a hard pill to swallow.
I don't think it have a country with a multi race population big or small that don't deal with some form of racism. Dunno why ppl think the caribbean is so different and no the racial thing eh now started. I remember my grandmother would always say the only good cool*iee is a dead cool*iee.

Oneshot

where de crix
I don't think it have a country with a multi race population big or small that don't deal with some form of racism. Dunno why ppl think the caribbean is so different and no the racial thing eh now started. I remember my grandmother would always say the only good cool*iee is a dead cool*iee.
but we love obama the same way...

TriniReporter

Religious leaders slam online racist messages

Three religious leaders have spoken out against recent racist posts on social media.

Imam Mirza Ali-Mohammed, of the Islamic Da’wah Movement; founder of the Longdenville-based Hindu Prachaar Kendra, Ravi-Ji, and Seventh-Day Adventist Pastor Clive Dottin added their voices to those condemning racist comments made on Facebook and other social media following the results of last Monday’s general election.

The People’s Partnership’s defeat at the polls resulted in the trading of insults between supporters of the party and supporters of the winning People’s National Movement. Some of the comments contained threats against particular ethnic groups.

Speaking on TV6’s Morning Edition on Friday, Ali-Mohammed said it was “frightening” that after so many years of education and awareness, racism seems to have gotten worse.
“It is frightening, especially for our young people,” Ali-Mohammed said. “The examples being set by these adults who are involved in these things, it really is scary.”

Dottin noted the intensity of this year’s election campaign and said he agreed with chairman of the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC), Norbert Masson, who described the campaigning as the most vile and vitriolic he has ever seen.

“We are as polarised as we have ever been,” said Dottin. “We are mis-mentoring the young people. We are misguiding them and setting a horrible example.”
Dottin said religious leaders were also setting a poor example. He said he listened to two religious programmes and was very concerned about what was being said.

“It is horrific that we as religious leaders are not setting the right example and are also fuelling a certain kind of hatred in the society.”

Ravi-Ji said it was unfortunate that people were using the cloak of anonymity provided by social media to spread messages of hate. He further added that the messages were given more attention when highlighted by traditional media.

“Media should not highlight or give coverage to these vitriolic kinds of messages,” he said.

Trinidad Express Newspapers: News | Religious leaders slam online racist messages

'some form' yes - Where Im from there is a low level 'light skinned bias' and other little racial issues that occur. But generally unless your concious of it, you probably wont notice it.

But this level of blatant and outspoken racism is a bit much.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
'some form' yes - Where Im from there is a low level 'light skinned bias' and other little racial issues that occur. But generally unless your concious of it, you probably wont notice it.

But this level of blatant and outspoken racism is a bit much.
It is simply politics. Most of those same people attacking each other on social media will generally be wining and feting with each other on the road come T&T carnival.

Those who are coming out with sore loser "racist" remarks on social media are only helping to ensure that their political party never gets back into power so I don't mind them making their "racist remarks" as they are only heping to open the eyes of the many naive Black voters who supported and voted for their poltical party that tries to past itself off as all-inclusive.

TriniReporter

One man’s anti-racism campaign

Radio talk show host Fazeer Rojan has started a campaign against racism on social media.

The 103 fm presenter began a “Selfie stand against racism” campaign by visiting different places in Trinidad spreading the message of love and unity.

Rojan said that he became inspired for this campaign after reading the negative comments following the September 7 general election.

According to Rojan: “We cannot let a minority get the better of us. Raymond Ramnarine uttered these words to me upon his return to the country yesterday when he called to lend support to the ‘Selfie Stand Against Racism’. I too would like to think that it’s a minority. I have no stats to offer to support this hope but that’s what it is; hope! Sometimes the world needs an idealist or two. Lord knows we have an over abundance in some other ‘not as awesome’ categories. I did what I did for reasons personal to me. I spoke on my own behalf and I’d like it to be noted that I represent no one and no group, political, religious, social or otherwise. I am citizen of Trinidad and Tobago! No other credentials are important”.

He said that the reason for the selfie was because it was a common denominator in social media.

Rojan said: “ Most of the hatred I have seen is being expressed on social media by a combination of people who knew what they were saying, those who were baited and merely expressed what already existed but remained hidden for all these years, those with fake profiles who lack the testicular fortitude to make their comments bravely, those who created mimic profiles and attempted to join the conversation under false pretences, some with axes to grind; others riddled with fear because of their political conditioning and the list goes on. It made sense then to seek to counter this hate on the platform where it was most expressed. The key would be to find the common denominator though. ‘Selfies’ came to mind. They’re an online sensation. Why not use this platform to spread the positivity? Simple. Thus was born the Selfie Stand Against Racism”.

Wearing a sign with the slogan of the campaign, Rojan is meeting people and encouraging them the take a stand against discrimination in the country.

Many have posted “selfie” photographs of themselves with the slogan signalling their stance against racism and joining in Rojan’s cause to end it.

In one of his post dated September 11, Rojan said, “It has gone from distasteful to frightful. How could a country change so much almost overnight? Or is it that social media has given everyone an opportunity to remove masks and reveal what always existed? It hurts to see it unfold and I wish it would STOP NOW! However, instead of waiting on them, I am reminded to take action ....”Be The Change That You Wish To See In The World”.

Rojan did exactly this and took matters into his own hands creating the campaign.

Rojan said that he has been faced with negative feedback from what he is doing from both sides of the political arena.

Read More; Trinidad Express Newspapers: Features | One man’s anti-racism campaign