I have a question.....

AxAeo

Strength & amp; amp; a
Forgive me, but you do have to be careful with semantics - Your words seemed to me as if you were trying to paint me as a racist or bigot, and clearly you feel you've found enough evidence to do so judging by your last statement. This is what I meant by aggressive.

I DONT MEAN TO SOUND RUDE BUT PLEASE CHECK THE DEFINITION OF "AGGRESSIVE" IN A DICTIONARY. THAT IS NOT WHAT IT MEANS.

Understand this, I am a proud Anguillian first and foremost - declaring myself a white West Indian is not me trying to draw lines, but is symbolic of my rejection of my former idea that being white and West Indian were contradictory. It is my embracing of the two concepts simultaneously, embracing my diversity. I have a right to be proud of both my race and my culture, just as you do to yours.

THAT MAKES SENSE. THAT COMMENT WOULD HAVE BEEN A SIMPLE, APPROPRIATE ANSWER TO THE INNOCENT QUESTION IN MY ORIGINAL POST.

AND RACE IS ONLY A SIGNIFICANT CONCEPT WHEN OFF MY JAMAICAN SHORES. IF I WERE WHITE AND BLACK AT HOME, I WOULD BE "BLACK" IN AMERICA BECAUSE OF THE ONE DROP RULE.

Our ideas of what is classes as oppression surely differs - I am not going to say the Black situation is the US is not without some dire problems, nor am I going to argue about it with you. However, I will thank Bake n Shark for his comments... He's pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

(I THOUGHT "BAKEANDSHARK" WAS A FEMALE....)

YOU HAVE NEVER LIVED AS A BLACK PERSON IN A WHITE COUNTRY AND YET YOU SEEM SO KEEN TO DEFEND THE WHITE POINT OF VIEW. THAT IS WHY YOU ARE WHITE FIRST AND WEST INDIAN SECOND. I KNOW CHINESE AND INDIAN JAMAICANS WHO CHECK "BLACK" ON AMERICAN RACE FORMS BECAUSE THEY IDENTIFY WITH THE CULTURAL CONCEPT OF BLACK AND THE PLIGHT OF BEING THAT IN AMERICA. I'M NOT SAYING THAT PEOPLE SHOULD MAKE UP THEIR OWN RACE BUT IT IS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF BEING WHAT THEY PERCEIVE AS WEST INDIAN FIRST AND WHATEVER THEIR RACE IS SECOND.

EDIT: Just saw your latest post... like I said, we disagree on what we class as oppression, because in my opinion racism is not necessarily oppression, I have suffered racism but never oppression.

AND YOU NEVER WILL. THAT IS WHAT I SAID IN MY ORIGINAL COMMENT......

AND IF YOU HAD READ MY LAST POST CAREFULLY YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT I MAKE IT OBVIOUS THAT RACISM AND OPPRESSION ARE NOT EQUAL. RACISM IS THE DAY TO DAY EXPERIENCE. OPPRESSION IS THE SOCIOLOGICA/ ECONOMIC/ CULTURAL SITUATION THAT EXISTS TO MAINTAIN THE ACCEPTED STATUS QUO. TO OPRESS= "TO PUSH DOWN" "TO KEEP DOWN", ETC.

I DON'T THINK THIS BACK AND FORTH IS GOING ANYWHERE. YOU CLEARLY CANNOT EVER SEE THE WORLD FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF A BLACK PERSON AND FEEL INSULTED BY ANY COMMENTS AGAINST WHITES. AND I GUESS THATS OK.

ONE LOVE.
First off, sorry for not being in here for so long, my computer was out of it for the past two days.

I'm not knocking the situation, I just wouldn't call it oppression. We do differ on this and I'm not going to continue this argument (or any, after this post... This is not the thread for this.)

However, I'm still pretty offended at your assertion that I'm "white first, West Indian second" I'm unsure how my views on the black situation in America have anything to do with my West Indian-ness. I suppose you can list my point of view as "white" but it's one I hold as a result of what I see - not something my parents have passed down to me. My loyalties are to my country, and my life goals involve helping Anguilla prosper - regardless of the colours of the people in it. And now, it is not me drawing lines based on race... it's you.

On a final note, of course I'm going to get irritated at comments against my race (or any group I belong to...) I'm sure you were one of those who were offended by Dr. Watsons' remarks... (And rightfully so!)

Like I said... I'm done with this line of conversation. If you must continue it with me (though it seems like you don't care to) PM me...

And now, I'm off to read this "Sea Lion" thread...

Nickyan

D'Original Puttury Lucian
but a-a! so long dat ting happened??? ok ill make this officially my trademark, since dats only when ppl will acknowledge my existence.

Panty Droppa

I breed Ank
but a-a! so long dat ting happened??? ok ill make this officially my trademark, since dats only when ppl will acknowledge my existence.
awww...

lemme play my violin

post a pic of yuh in yuh bikini and youll be remembered for other things than embarrassing moments

Nickyan

D'Original Puttury Lucian
awww...

lemme play my violin

post a pic of yuh in yuh bikini and youll be remembered for other things than embarrassing moments
lol nice pic

who said i was embarassed??

never would i post a pic farless a bikini 1, never!!!!!!!

AxAeo

Strength & amp; amp; a
:music Bet they give me a pound / Tell 'em put the money in my hand right now... :music

Anybody else wonder if Kanye reads Imix?

YardiePrincess

well if that was me, i wud ask him ryt away y he giving me this pound. i think that he's probably thinking to himself and/or stereotyping the black woman. 'ok she's black, mus be poor, and poor ting have a big loan to pay after college' etc. or if it's not that then maybe he's trying to show off or pretend to be sum1 else. maybe he wants to be liked and feels that giving out money wud be the best policy.

but watever it is girl, take that money and RUN! don't ask, just be appreciative for what you get, esp as the US money depreciated.
:lol:lol:lol

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
Di joke still sweet all now.

I was so busy arguing :blush:with someone in that thread I didn't even get what was going on until after she start cuss about currency!!!!

Nickyan, don't worry. You are admired for how graciously you responded to all the ridicule.

Some people woulda run weh....

MÉCHANT LOUP

Cervical Cancer

You ain't give up this ACT yet..:mda:

I guess we all wasted our keystrokes with the Birthday Thread....:beee:

Swerve

Temporary Suspension
well if that was me, i wud ask him ryt away y he giving me this pound. i think that he's probably thinking to himself and/or stereotyping the black woman. 'ok she's black, mus be poor, and poor ting have a big loan to pay after college' etc. or if it's not that then maybe he's trying to show off or pretend to be sum1 else. maybe he wants to be liked and feels that giving out money wud be the best policy.

but watever it is girl, take that money and RUN! don't ask, just be appreciative for what you get, esp as the US money depreciated.
please! it doesnt matter wat currency he gave her, point is it's very strange and is even considered disrespectful to some. capish? dont try to play like an @$$ here.

:rofl: my first time reading this thread