Indian Influence in Trini Accent

Inquistive

Why you guys like to downplay the fact that your dialect has strong Indian influence? If you listen to people from India talk, they sound similar to Trini people.

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
Why you guys like to downplay the fact that your dialect has strong Indian influence? If you listen to people from India talk, they sound similar to Trini people.
i dont think so.. I do hear a spanish influence in the trini accent... like the way they pronounce their Rs for example..

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
You MIGHT be ON TO SOMETHING.

I now see why they have that SING-SONG GIRLY ACCENT. It is the INDO INFLUENCE.

Inquistive

i dont think so.. I do hear a spanish influence in the trini accent... like the way they pronounce their Rs for example..
Where you think they get that sing singy accent from. It's not European, and it's sure not African. The only explanation is that it derived from India. It's asinine to think that an island that makes up half of people who are descendants of India does not have any Indian linguistic characteristics.

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
Where you think they get that sing singy accent from. It's not European, and it's sure not African. The only explanation is that it derived from India. It's asinine to think that an island that makes up half of people who are descendants of India does not have any Indian linguistic characteristics.

Oh shit this gon be good...

Ah tink Opti done it again...

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
SPAAAAAAAAANISH.... S P A N I S H! SPANISSSSSSSSSSH! ....

people from trinidad talk with a sing song accent similar to SPANISH.. WE SAY.. IT MAKING HOT.. IT MAKING COLD... HACE CALOR . or FRENCH.. IL FAIT CHAUD. our linguistic influences are more latin- french creole/ spanish.. than indian!!!!!!! so let's go again SPANISHHHHHHHHHH..

Last edited:

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Trinis sound like mix of all kinds of linguistic influences. Never heard on person deny that.

So which Trini told you that there isn't strong Indian influences?

Please. Plenty Indians are certainly sing songy, but have have you ever heard Igbo and Yoruba people speak? Both certainly have that up and down in the speech as well. The Trini accent definitely has that influence. Get some more exposure.

LR...I agree. the French/Spanish made their mark in Trini speech. That is undeniable.

SKBai1991

people from trinidad talk with a sing song accent similar to SPANISH.. WE SAY.. IT MAKING HOT.. IT MAKING COLD... HACE CALOR . or FRENCH.. IL FAIT CHAUD. our linguistic influences are more latin- french creole/ spanish.. than indian!!!!!!! so let's go again SPANISHHHHHHHHHH..
What spanish country has a sing-song accent though?

I personally agree with Opti & Dollbabi...the actual sing-songy accent itself IMO sounds more like a mix of indian and african influences cuz I can't think of any Spanish people who have a sing-songy accent anything close to what Trini people sound like.

Last edited:

Inquistive

Huh?

Cubans, Mexicans, Ricans, and Dominicans sound singy? Hell no

Dolbabi, I don't think the singy tongue derives from Africa because Jamaicans and other people from the WI don talk like that.

The sing song derives from India.

SKBai1991

Huh?

Dolbabi, I don't think the singy tongue derives from Africa because Jamaicans and other people from the WI don talk like that.

It's not quite as strong but most WI accents have some degree of sing-songy intonation.

A good question though would be why is it that Guyanese don't have as sing-songy an accent as Trinis when Guyana is more Indian than Trinidad is?

Inquistive

It's not quite as strong but most WI accents have some degree of sing-songy intonation.

A good question though would be why is it that Guyanese don't have as sing-songy an accent as Trinis when Guyana is more Indian than Trinidad is?
Hell no

Jamaicans don't talk like that.

Bajans don't talk like that either.

SKBai1991

Hell no

Jamaicans don't talk like that.

Bajans don't talk like that either.
But ayuh ain di only West Indian people still.

VI people & some other small island people sound VERY sing songy to me...not strong like T&T but it's still very noticable.

You ever hear dem man from Rock City?

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1jtWWNs7igE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Huh?

Incorrect. There are other islands that sound like they are singing. Plenty St. Thomians have the sing songy way, especially the women. And clearly, there are hardly any indians on the island.

Further, Jamaica may have a different set of African ethnic groups that predominate. In fact, Jamaica seems to have a much stronger Ghanian influence than Trinidad which makes for different speech.

In case, you haven't noticed, different African ethnic groups speak different languages which have a different sound.

The sing song derives from India and present-day Nigeria/Benin.

Last edited:

dollbabi

Earth Angel
But ayuh ain di only West Indian people still.

VI people & some other small island people sound VERY sing songy to me...not strong like T&T but it's still very noticable.

You ever hear dem man from Rock City?
Ha! I just posted something about this without even seeing your post. VI people does sound like they singing all the time.