international pan competition first in Trinidad

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Meaning, Intl as in other countries partaking, so spoke with my cousin, his son just took part, they got back todaya....said they finish 21 place......

This is the winning performance, clearly, no one was beating them.... Trinidad Allstars !
Superstars !

Btw, I love how you can tell the two countries apart base on looks, smh ! that is the Black ppl, amazing how you can distinguish a yardi

Superstars Trinidad Allstars

Jamaica performance

Massy Trinidad All Stars win US$250K in international pan competition | Loop News Trinidad and Tobago

The Duke Street band played a Leon 'Smooth' Edwards arrangement of ‘Curry Tabanca’ by the Mighty Trini, winning first place and the grand prize of US$250,000.

The event, which took place at the Queen’s Park Savannah, announced the winnersjust after midnight on Monday August 10, 2015.

Second place went to the Super Novas who played an Amrit Samaroo arrangement of ‘Dr Samaroo’.

In third place was BP Renegades who played ‘Like a Boss’, while fourth place saw a tie between Petrotrin Phase II Pan Groove and the Brooklyn Steel Orchestra.

The competition saw bands from around the world competing from just after 3:00 pm on Sunday.

The band issued a notice on Monday to thank all of their supporters.

“We would like to thank the players for the long gruelling days and nights of practice, our elusive but driven and perfectionist drill master Nigel Williams, all the support crew, the fans who stayed until the wee hours of practice, the Shiv Shakti Group who were spectacular from first contact to onstage performance, and last but by no means least our beloved arranger Leon 'Smooth' Edwards whose masterpiece was so far ahead of its time in 1987, it could only get its just reward in 2015.”

“Congratulations also to all the other bands that participated, thank you for pushing us to be better than our best.”

Countries represented in the competition included the US, Japan, St Lucia and St Maarten and was well-attended by pan enthusiasts.

TriniReporter

The Steelpan has come a long way. The only musical instrument invention of the 20th century.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gG5ymcGlYVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seawall

Saw this a few days ago. Good film, even with the needless attempt to broaden the story with the addition of Andy Narrell and Japanese and European nationals.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pzSqSuDJfPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dedetriniking

I really didn't have the time last weekend to pay as close attention to this event as i should....but i'm elated that Jamaica had a band in the mix.

Without a doubt All Stars is a superstar in the steelband fraternity.

trinifrombx

Saw this a few days ago. Good film, even with the needless attempt to broaden the story with the addition of Andy Narrell and Japanese and European nationals.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pzSqSuDJfPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Where is the link to watch it ?