Is it true that Blacks/PNC use to beat and terrorise Indians in Guyana?

Seawall

One hears this propaganda all the time from Indian extremists. There are also allegations of Black men raping Indian women. These people remind me so much of European racists in their portrayal of Black men as inherently violent. Read the papers and you will see that most of the violence against Indian women and men are perpetrated by other Indians. This is the narrative of Indian victimization that the PPP uses to keep their supporters in line. Since Africans were brought to Guyana, we have been in the crosshairs of violence perpetrated by slavers, colonial rulers, and both the African and Indian led post-colonial governments. During the racial violence that led to the Burnham dictatorship (installed by outside interests, not Afro Guyanese), both Indians and Africans were aggressors at various instances. Any African on Indian act of violence (usually robberies) is met with the usual condemnation (condem the act, not the race of the perpetrator). In contrast, the state supported violence against African men are usually viewed as justified by certain segments. I guess that it is easier to spread propaganda than to address the rampant corruption, alliance with known drug dealers, the extra judicial killings of hundreds of young African men, and the overall failure of the PPP government to move the country forward during its 20+ years of ruling the country.

From Eusi Kwayana's book "No Guilty Race."

"The next section of the book is devoted to a putting racial conflict in Guyana within its proper historical and political perspective. This is done through a thorough discussion of racial conflict from 1961 to the present in which Kwayana makes some interesting statements and observations. In the process he takes both Ravi Dev and Dr.Cheddi Jagan to task for attempting to rewrite Guyana's political history. He makes the case that the disturbance of the 1960s started in 1961 and not 1964 as many, including Dev, claim. Drawing on evidence first documented in his 1962 publication, Next Witness, Kwayana observes that the 1961 election as the occasion for the initial conflict. He concludes that while Africans were the aggressors in 1962 and 1963, Indians were the aggressors in 1961 and 1964.

The section is full of information that both scholars and non-scholars would find more than useful. Most of it would derail popularly held views. For example, the active role of Portuguese, or what the author calls "teams of motor-cycled young men who were far from disabled" (p36) in the urban riots of 1962-1963 or the fact that there were Indian strike breakers during the 1977 GAWU 135 day strike or that it was not only Indians who "undercut" Africans in the immediate post-emancipation era, or that the PPP's draft constitution for Independence "provided for one-party rule, with the opposition as a mere onlooker." (p. 26)

Guyana: No Guilty Race is peppered by accounts of the author's role in the racial politics of Guyana. He makes no apology for challenging the PPP race agenda in the 1960s, but "regrets the way I handled the race problems. For one thing when I lost confidence in the Indian leadership, I blamed the supporters for supporting injustice. on racial grounds" (p.26) Kwayana also makes a couple of startling revelations in the book; Mrs. Janet Jagan bursting into tears at Leonora in 1980, telling the audience to ask Kwayana what he did at Wismar in 1964, and an anonymous letter over the signature "########################" ridiculing him as an example of "the perfect image of the black man's backwardness"

N

NaturalBornRidah

*Sigh*

The PNC was the worst enemy of blacks period,its GODDAMN shame that PNC was never purged out of the country after them falling out of power. Now they are attempting to embed the PNC into the fabric of Afro-Guyanese psyche with these new age alliances and collectives.