Is Kes degenerating as an artist? i feel like he lost his way

dedetriniking

man's music is still good. Its very rare for an artist to be blessed with a mega hit like wotless. MOst artist will complete their career and never have a hit like that....and once it happens it is very difficult to repeat.

Again he still makes great music and performs very well.

iPicong

Can't carry a full set by himself.....both he and Nadia lost something when she left the band......maybe she was the soul in the band and she eh same either......both regressed.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
The only thing that is degenerating and regressing is Swagger's & iPicong's judgement of what is good quality soca music. In fact Kes music this year is better quality overall than all of the other artists besides maybe Farmer Nappy's & Kerwin's.

Take a listen below to all of these Kes soca releases so far for 2015 and you will clearly hear that they are all pretty top notch. Maybe Kes The Band live performances isn't as exciting as some of the other top notch soca artists, I am not sure, but his/their studio recordings are pretty much up there with the best.

Kes - Doh Fraid [Main Event Riddim] [2015 T&T Jouvay Soca]
<iframe width="540" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Nk4_gKlDfkk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Produced By: Anson Soverall of FMMG Productions

Kes - Look Fuh Dat [Jam Band Riddim] [2015 T&T Groovy Soca]
<iframe width="540" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R-eA6G71V1k?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Produced by Parliament Music & Precision Productions

Kes - Fallin [2015 T&T Groovy Soca]
<iframe width="540" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MjUIJwxiMJg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Productions, Mastered by Johann Seaton of MadMen Productions

Kes - Just Wanna Jam [2015 T&T Groovy Soca]
<iframe width="540" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uTu_1GBPwEc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Produced by: Darien Bailey, Kevin "Daddy Bubbles" Marshall and Hector Cesar of Studio B

Kes - Make Ah Move [2015 T&T Groovy Soca]
<iframe width="540" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M9saKv_c65s?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Produced by 1st Klase Production

Kes - Million [2015 T&T Mid-tempo Soca]
<iframe width="540" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tN0NP9O0ywk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Produced by: London Future

Kes - General Don [2015 T&T EDM/Power Soca]
<iframe width="540" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d6YHpXDti0s?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Produced, Mixed and Mastered by MadMen Productions

Kes has released seven songs so far for 2015 and not one of them scores less than 8 out of 10 in my book. Now how many other artists this year can match this quality of music output outside of Farmer and Kerwin?

dedetriniking

I haven't listen to all of the songs but in my summer list thread i stated that Kes's "Just want to jam" is one of the few hits for the summer with outstanding musicianship on display....especially in the bassline. Most hits out there is a endless loop of three or four chords and all kinds of funny electronic songs....a riddim as its called. The "just wanna jam" tune is pure musical fire.

I haven't seen him live in a couple years but musically speaking i don't think he's regressed at all.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers

I haven't listen to all of the songs but in my summer list thread i stated that Kes's "Just want to jam" is one of the few hits for the summer with outstanding musicianship on display....especially in the bassline. Most hits out there is a endless loop of three or four chords and all kinds of funny electronic songs....a riddim as its called. The "just wanna jam" tune is pure musical fire.

I haven't seen him live in a couple years but musically speaking i don't think he's regressed at all.
Kes' "Make Ah Move" should definitely make your summer play list and "Fallin" is pretty top notch too!
Check them out!! :good:

After 2012 something bad happened to Kes, he is just a bit lame now and not much people checking for him i dont even think he is in the top league of Soca artists anymore, Kerwin took his spot.

anyway he somehow went from possibly making it internationally to cheap lyrics

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
After 2012 something bad happened to Kes, he is just a bit lame now and not much people checking for him i dont even think he is in the top league of Soca artists anymore, Kerwin took his spot.

Kerwin is the one who wrote Wotless btw.

dedetriniking

Thanks for the tip on those two kes songs Pro. So many good songs out there this year that one really can't get to them all in the limited time. songs ah fiyah!!!

I've put "Falling" on my list. Beautiful melody in the music man!

dedetriniking

Your opinion swagga but in my opinion you wayy of base here.

If you are a real lover of this music you will know without a doubt that musically speaking "falling down" and "ah wanna jam" are two of the best display of soca musicianship for the season.

These songs played well live will be a joy to hear.

BFFan

Kes' "Make Ah Move" should definitely make your summer play list and "Fallin" is pretty top notch too!
Check them out!! :good:
I think these are his best tunes today. I like Fallin the most. But I think in terms of music, most of his music is in the upper echelon in terms of music being produced today. IMO what I think of quality soca music doesn't matter much in todays world its a riddim and a hook usually with the word wine or bumper. That's a majority of soca music today and he is kinda caught in the signs of the time.

There are ways of looking at it. Its much less expensive to have someone to cook up a riddim for a tune than using an entire band to record tunes especially versus trying to sell tunes/albums on the internet today. That applies to all soca artists of today. So this is what it is when its comes to making music today. But give credit to him have a band that can add an extra zing to these tunes when he performs live.

In terms of lyrics, he is very focused on his fan-base which always has the words "wine gyal" or "wine on you gyal." Even with that he still one of the more versatile artist but to me he needs to diversify his lyrics/content more like he did in the past: tell a story, make dance, a love song, make characters, heartache other things that can touch his female fan base other than wine on you. I know he want to please his fans but I think it wouldn't hurt him by giving his fans diverse content in soca tunes .... and that goes for majority of soca artists not just him.

To me it wouldn't hurt if he sang with someone. Harmonizing vocals do give an added dimension to live performances. As someone mention, he was good together with Nadia. He was also good with Michelle Xavier.

BTW I think General Don (this is a character he created, my bad) was an interesting idea. I am not feeling it totally (yet) but I appreciate the effort. Would be interesting to use more traditional soca instrumentals in this tune imo.

BFFan

In comparing Kes and Kerwin, Kerwin is a flat out quality writer, a well nutured top-notch calypsonian/artist who transitioned well to soca, just magine if he had a quality soca band to work with that has strumming keyboards, wicked bass and I know someone would say horns..but we not living in Kansas anymore those days practically gone for now... or hopefully at least for the moment.

Kes is more of a singer, he harmonizes really well with his voice and can sing real well in any genre.

trinibwoy18

Kes had a bad season last year but he is definatly back this year with a bang. his songs are well received and in heavy rotation.

Oneshot

where de crix
Kes had a bad season last year but he is definatly back this year with a bang. his songs are well received and in heavy rotation.
you think so, i feel the summer cyah done chune was underrated, i like that Kes produces music for year round vibes.

Carib2

I think Swagger need to clean out his eyes because Kes has dropped some big tunes...

Look fuh that, Million, just wanna jam, Make a move etc all good.

Vye Negre

I personally think that Fallin and look fuh dat is one of the best songs released this season. That is a beautiful piece of music

iPicong

He does put out good studio music..........but his performances leaves a lot to be desired........unless yuh a gal who just googoo gaga