Is Tobago the most African island in the Caribbean?

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
I am asking this question because that is now my suspicion.

According to the last 2011 population census T&T then had a population of 1,328, 019, with Trinidad having a population of 1,267,145 and Tobago 60,874.

In Tobago, 85.2 per cent of the population are of African descent, with 8.5 per cent mixed and 2.54 per cent East Indian.

Go here for full article: 2011 Population Census Report: 4,591 more men in T&T than women (with CNC3 video) | The Trinidad Guardian Newspaper

It just dawned on me that Tobago is possibly the most African island in the Caribbean but I am putting the question out there to get more feedback and information to confirm.

antiguad

I am asking this question because that is now my suspicion.

According to the last 2011 population census T&T then had a population of 1,328, 019, with Trinidad having a population of 1,267,145 and Tobago 60,874.

In Tobago, 85.2 per cent of the population are of African descent, with 8.5 per cent mixed and 2.54 per cent East Indian.

Go here for full article: 2011 Population Census Report: 4,591 more men in T&T than women (with CNC3 video) | The Trinidad Guardian Newspaper

It just dawned on me that Tobago is possibly the most African island in the Caribbean but I am putting the question out there to get more feedback and information to confirm.
No it is not.
/thread

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Haiti is 95% African.

Jamaica is 92% African.

St. Lucia is 85% African.
I am surprised about St Lucia as I know a lot of mixed and very fair skin people from St Lucia. I would have imagined that Dominica would have a higher percentage of dark skinned Africans than St Lucia.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
There's the other 15% of the country you know...lol. Plus there are some mixed people who may or may not identify as such.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
There's the other 15% of the country you know...lol. Plus there are some mixed people who may or may not identify as such.
Most St Lucians who I know here in the UK are mixed or fair skinned while I can say that most of the Dominicans I have meet here are dark skinned so I got the impression over the years that SLU has a much larger mixed population than DA does.

Anyway thanks for the info. I still believe that there is a higher percentage of pure dark Africans in Tobago than in most of the other islands outside of Haiti but I could be wrong.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Most St Lucians who I know here in the UK are mixed or fair skinned while I can say that most of the Dominicans I have meet here are dark skinned so I got the impression over the years that SLU has a much larger mixed population than DA does.

Anyway thanks for the info. I still believe that there is a higher percentage of pure dark Africans in Tobago than in most of the other islands outside of Haiti but I could be wrong.
Well, I've been to St. Lucia and although I certainly have more to see of the island, the statistics seem accurate. Of course, I wasn't there studying people like that though. Plus if that is how the people identify, who am I to tell them? Never been to Dominica.

Not focusing on complexion. Just trying to address the question. Is Tobago the most African island in the Caribbean? The answer is no, but it is highly African.

antiguad

Can you say which Caribbean island you think is and give us a link to their last official population census?

Also how African is their culture to help emphasize your point?
You can really tell when people never visit the Caribbean boy...

antiguad

In addition to the others already listed -

Anguilla - 90% Anguilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Antigua - 90% - http://www.caricomstats.org/Files/Publications/NCR Reports/Antigua.pdf

Lucianite

I am surprised about St Lucia as I know a lot of mixed and very fair skin people from St Lucia. I would have imagined that Dominica would have a higher percentage of dark skinned Africans than St Lucia.
I have had people tell me that they get the impression that St Lucia is full of "mixed" people from those that they meet.

btw - "light/fair skin- DED is still considered of AFRICAN origin in those stats....

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Turks & Caicos is 87% African.

Guessing you didn't bother to glance at any other statistics for other islands...so far 7 places more African than Tobago.

A.K.K.S.

Are you stupid? That has nothing to do with admixture, but the population of the nation.
What does the population mean? You are talking about race. And how "black" a place is right? It's not about how culturally African or anything like that. Just admit that you are fascinated by admixture.

Why can you appreciate diversity but can't appreciate the products of it?