Is Tobago the most African island in the Caribbean?

robblaten

according to you, so many AA went to the Bahamas. so based on that, then their culture should as well. So, all I did was google JUJU/Bahamas and articles popped up showing the AA link is alive in your country. The religion didn't survive, but the word did.
out of interest, what do you call the fruit 'juju' in Jamaica?

Lucianite

Looks like what we call " plum". My. grand parents had a tree
There are the more " exotic" ones with two " tot tot" ( breasts )

Lappo

in terms of most afro centric culture i will have to say dominica, haiti, jamaica and maybe cuba thats it.

Ayisyen

in terms of most afro centric culture i will have to say dominica, haiti, jamaica and maybe cuba thats it.
In all honesty, and this is no slight to Dominica or Jamaica, but I would say Cuba is 2nd only to Haiti. Actually, I don't think it is even an argument. Just look at Santeria alone where they still speak Yoruba....and the religion is completely embedded in Cuban culture the way Haitian Vodou is in Haitian culture.

robblaten

In all honesty, and this is no slight to Dominica or Jamaica, but I would say Cuba is 2nd only to Haiti. Actually, I don't think it is even an argument. Just look at Santeria alone where they still speak Yoruba....and the religion is completely embedded in Cuban culture the way Haitian Vodou is in Haitian culture.
Personally I would have to say it is a toss up between Iceland and Taiwan

Missmayling

So are you and your family voodoo worshipers?

Lappo

you dont know much about dominican culture or jamaican culture. have you ever been to any of these islands

Ayisyen

@robblaten, personally I would say Taiwan. :kicks

@Missmayling, my family and I do not practice Vodou. I do respect it though and I'm sure far enough up my family tree, I will find some who did practice Vodou.

@Lappo, no I never been to any of those islands, yet I will stand my ground....does Dominica or Jamaica have African retention to the level of Cuba?? Have they retained their African ancestral religion to the degree Cuba has??? It doesn't get any deeper than that.....there is a difference between being vocally afrocentric and being culturally afrocentric. Vocally speaking, Jamaica is the most afrocentric island of the Caribbean due to reggae/rastafarinism, but culturally speaking....its not even close.

robblaten

@Missmayling, my family and I do not practice Vodou. I do respect it though and I'm sure far enough up my family tree, I will find some who did practice Vodou.

@Lappo, no I never been to any of those islands, yet I will stand my ground....does Dominica or Jamaica have African retention to the level of Cuba?? Have they retained their African ancestral religion to the degree Cuba has??? It doesn't get any deeper than that.....there is a difference between being vocally afrocentric and being culturally afrocentric. Vocally speaking, Jamaica is the most afrocentric island of the Caribbean due to reggae/rastafarinism, but culturally speaking....its not even close.
Ayisiyen

You are that rarest of species on imix: a person with a fully functional brain undiminished by this silly blackness hangup that seems to infect most ppl who spend too much time in the USA.

Cuba is BEYOND A DOUBT the most afrocentric island in our region. I have been there perhaps 40 times, beginning in 1993.

While others personalise the issue of heritage and turn it into some kind of identity-fashion, Cuba, BY ITS ACTIONS, deliberately protects inherited AFRICAN belief systems and gives them the same status that European mythologies enjoy. Unique in this regard.

Viva la revolucion!

dollbabi

Earth Angel
There is more than Yoruba as well...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ag2bdBRABmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dedetriniking

That's a powerful clip indeed dollbabi. My question to rob and others is does that clip represent mainstream cubano culture or is it relegated to the fringe. I can show you similar clips from Trinidad but I would not be so disingenuous to claim that it is mainstream.

Missmayling

Hmm. Never heard a Haitian say they practice Vooodoo, but always hear its part of the culture. Anyways, Jamaica has more retention than cuba, because the slave owners never lived on the island full time. So even though the majority of the Cuban slaves arrived after the Haitian revolution, the African religion, traditions etc were outlawed or restricted. The only creole religion that comes close to Voodoo and Santeria would be Pocomania in Jamaica.

Missmayling

That's a powerful clip indeed dollbabi. My question to rob and others is does that clip represent mainstream cubano culture or is it relegated to the fringe. I can show you similar clips from Trinidad but I would not be so disingenuous to claim that it is mainstream.
Sure you can. Thats because when the Cuban Slaves were arriving in droves to the island, the British had African indentured going to TNT.

dedetriniking

Hmm. Never heard a Haitian say they practice Vooodoo, but always hear its part of the culture. Anyways, Jamaica has more retention than cuba, because the slave owners never lived on the island full time. So even though the majority of the Cuban slaves arrived after the Haitian revolution, the African religion, traditions etc were outlawed or restricted. The only creole religion that comes close to Voodoo and Santeria would be Pocomania in Jamaica.
What about the shouter baptists or the shango....which surrounded me when i was growing up in tnt in rural Trinidad. These are african derived religion in the same vein as santeria.