Is Tobago the most African island in the Caribbean?

Ayisyen

There is more than Yoruba as well...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ag2bdBRABmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Apparently not only does the Ganga ppl track their roots back to Sierra Leone, but they were able to trace their roots back to exactly one village, Mokpangumba, where most of them descended from including their traditions, chants, and songs.

BBC News - Cubans trace roots to remote Sierra Leone village

That's crazy...not one, but two African languages kept completely intact.

Ayisyen

Hmm. Never heard a Haitian say they practice Vooodoo, but always hear its part of the culture. Anyways, Jamaica has more retention than cuba, because the slave owners never lived on the island full time. So even though the majority of the Cuban slaves arrived after the Haitian revolution, the African religion, traditions etc were outlawed or restricted. The only creole religion that comes close to Voodoo and Santeria would be Pocomania in Jamaica.
I have extended family that do practice Vodou in Haiti, it's not like its a closely guarded secret or ppl are in hiding, lol. Trust it is very much a part of Haitian culture....if you have any Haitian friends that are Catholics....you can prolly start there....pay attention how close they are with the saints si yo sevi lwa yo :kicks.

I'm not sure if I understand your second point.....was not African traditions/religions outlawed in Jamaica as well? You yourself just mentioned the closest afro-creole religion to Vodou/Santeria is Pocomania (assuming you are talkin within the caribbean region)....plus whenever I look at dance companies that uses afro caribbean traditional dance steps....it's usually Haiti and sometimes Cuba I see mentioned....Cuba has a plethora of songs, chants, drums, dances, stories for dozens of deities.....can Jamaica say the same thing to the same extent?? I'm not buying that story of British slaveowners not living full time on the island as a reason why Jamaica has stronger African retention.....just look at the influence of Afro-Cuban music alone on world music.....Salsa in terms of instrumentation and rhythm is ten times more African than Reggae....

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Apparently not only does the Ganga ppl track their roots back to Sierra Leone, but they were able to trace their roots back to exactly one village, Mokpangumba, where most of them descended from including their traditions, chants, and songs.

BBC News - Cubans trace roots to remote Sierra Leone village

That's crazy...not one, but two African languages kept completely intact.
Not sure that the article states that the entire Banta language was kept completely intact but certain songs sung in the exact language. It states that certain lyrics were twisted due to time and distance but very much identifiable by those in Sierra Leone. Beautiful thing.

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
I feel like this conversation comes around at least twice every year on Imix and the answers still remain the same. Haiti & Cuba have retained the most African traits. So much so that they have become apart of their mainstream culture.

I think mayling is emotional in this thread and not logical. Yep this topic comes up a lot but it's still interesting as I learn something new everytime.

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
I think mayling is emotional in this thread and not logical. Yep this topic comes up a lot but it's still interesting as I learn something new everytime.
Yeah but we always go over the same islands. Most of us here have discussed the African traditions of Haiti and Cuba. The information is vast and everywhere. I'd rather hear about Tobago, Grenada, St. Lucia, and the rest. Places we don't normally hear about.

Missmayling

I feel like this conversation comes around at least twice every year on Imix and the answers still remain the same. Haiti & Cuba have retained the most African traits. So much so that they have become apart of their mainstream culture.
Give examples besides making the same statements each year.

Missmayling

I gave examples, yet you have yet to provide any. Based on what I am reading, Suriname or Dutch Guyana has the highest retention.

Lucianite

Yeah but we always go over the same islands. Most of us here have discussed the African traditions of Haiti and Cuba. The information is vast and everywhere. I'd rather hear about Tobago, Grenada, St. Lucia, and the rest. Places we don't normally hear about.
I eh no "expert" so i does just read
a lot of things mentioned are also practiced in st Lucia
and I feel there is a lot of AFRican culture or our ways that we retain that we don't even know the origin or that it is from Africa....

but yes, certainly it would be better to just hear from all the islands than do the "who has most/better/worst etc..."

Poca

I made a thread asking about drumming from the islands but only one person replied with videos. Seems like people are more interested in talking about stuff they don't know rather than sharing what they know.

I eh no "expert" so i does just read
a lot of things mentioned are also practiced in st Lucia
and I feel there is a lot of AFRican culture or our ways that we retain that we don't even know the origin or that it is from Africa....

but yes, certainly it would be better to just hear from all the islands than do the "who has most/better/worst etc..."

Carib2

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9w1atvkVQnE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jing Ping Dominica

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B5k2UkNl6ko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lapo-Kabwit Dominica

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DdQgpXR20Z4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rKRW-PoU8A4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
Hmm. Never heard a Haitian say they practice Vooodoo, but always hear its part of the culture. Anyways, Jamaica has more retention than cuba, because the slave owners never lived on the island full time. So even though the majority of the Cuban slaves arrived after the Haitian revolution, the African religion, traditions etc were outlawed or restricted. The only creole religion that comes close to Voodoo and Santeria would be Pocomania in Jamaica.
I looked up some videos, and it reminds me of this little Pentecostal church I went to with a friend and their family. I would say that 95% of the church membership was Jamaican, so I guess they would hold service as they did at home (see video below).

JackR2

I always stay away from black magic. It has side effects that can't be reversed. I prefer to use white magic and have the help of a High Priest when I have a serious issue that calls for a love spell.