Itunes to formally recognize soca and calypso as genre(s)

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
‘Historic moment’ for Caribbean music
iTunes recognises calypso and soca as formal genres

Story Created: Apr 18, 2014 at 8:31 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Alvin Daniell.jpg Dr Geoffrey Dunn.jpg
Alvin Daniell and Dr Geoffrey Dunn

In what is a major breakthrough towards the recognition of both calypso and soca as genres in the international music market, US-based iTunes Music Store, a division of Apple Inc, has announced that both art forms have been designated as official musical categories on its Internet marketplace.

Previously, music tracks from these two Trinidad-rooted genres were listed without formal categorisation under a variety of rubrics, including “reggae,” “Latin” or “Caribbean.”
“This is a major step forward for calypso and soca,” said award-winning filmmaker and bestselling author Dr Geoffrey Dunn, who has advanced an initiative in the United States to facilitate such designations. “iTunes was very responsive to the request and sensitive to the cultural implications of such recognition. I am very grateful for this decision.”

Trinidad-based music publisher and promoter Alvin Daniell, who is coordinating a broader initiative with Dunn, called the recognition an “historic moment” for music rooted in the Caribbean. “This breakthrough will ensure that, first and foremost, our music will now be properly categorised,” said Daniell. “When a particular T&T artist had a hit song prior to this, our country and our region were never given due credit. Now, that has changed.”

Prior efforts over the past decade—including an Internet petition—to generate such recognition met with no success. “Sometimes a personal approach is more effective,” said Dunn, who lives in Northern California, close to Apple headquarters. “iTunes fully grasped the cultural significance of such a designation. They did the right thing.”

Daniell said that the iTunes recognition—calypso and soca now appear with approximately three-dozen other genres under the heading of “World” music—will help usher in a new era of opportunity for calypso and soca artistes throughout the Caribbean and the diaspora. “It impacts all aspects of the income generated by our artistes,” he noted. “We firmly believe that with the new listings it will be easier to source our works and that will lead to increased income and recognition for our artistes.”

Dunn and Daniell, who worked together on the award-winning film Calypso Dreams, are currently involved in the production of a new documentary feature entitled The Glamour Boyz Again: The Mighty Sparrow and Lord Superior on the Hilton Rooftop. Dunn said he is anticipating to premiere the film this fall at the Trinidad and Tobago Film Festival.

“Obviously I am inspired in this initiative by the likes of Sparrow, Supie, Rose, Sandra, Relator and other calypso stalwarts to pursue this effort on their behalf,” Dunn said. “They have dedicated their entire lives to the culture. I wanted to make sure that their enduring commitment to the art form was respected and acknowledged globally.”

Daniell said that he is hoping to continue these efforts for recognition of calypso and soca in coordination with the Minister of the Arts and Multiculturalism, Dr Lincoln Douglas. “I am very pleased that the ministry is supportive of this initiative,” said Daniell. “This is an effort with far-reaching implications for Trinidad and Tobago.”
“Recognition of calypso and soca by iTunes is a major first step,” said Dunn. “It breaks the ice. But there is still a long ways to go.”

Dunn said that he and Daniell will now focus their energies on generating similar recognition from several other internet music outlets, including All Music, Zune Marketplace, eMusic, Yahoo!, and Amazon and, eventually the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences in the US —producers of The Grammys.

“Designating musical genres is an imprecise cultural enterprise and inherently ethnocentric in its construction,” Dunn said. “But calypso, in particular, has had a world-wide presence and influence for more than a century. Given its global popularity, its exclusion from several critical internet markets has been troubling. With a concentrated effort, however, I believe that we can have an impact.”

trinifrombx

But Socapro, you is a fraud, allyuh ain't helping we cause, you " liking " every song , even the tasteless ones that make no sense all in conning producers, artists to keep on sending you free mp3 music !

Go now and buy those 800 songs you telling me that I didn't hear for 2014 and post the receipt so we can now respect you that you are supporting we ting and you not a fraud like others have pointed out, we are waiting !

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
But Socapro, you is a fraud, allyuh ain't helping we cause, you " liking " every song , even the tasteless ones that make no sense all in conning producers, artists to keep on sending you free mp3 music !

Go now and buy those 800 songs you telling me that I didn't hear for 2014 and post the receipt so we can now respect you that you are supporting we ting and you not a fraud like others have pointed out, we are waiting !
I just put you on Ignore due to getting tired of the same dotish lying argument over and over and over again! :good:

trinifrombx

I just put you on Ignore due to getting tired of the same dotish lying argument over and over and over again! :good:
Smh.....this crony dude pilfering money from artists and producers undercthe false assumption about he is promoting wi ting, yet now he has the opportunity you fully support wi ting nd help the artists out by buying their music and this fool put me on ignore !

dedetriniking

When you think about it....a music...in this case calypso....that has been here for more than a century...but not only that....but a music that has been around the world and back in popularity.....a music whose songs have been done and redone by artists all over but particularly in america and europe....it really is peculiar that calypso is just willy nilly thrown under the category of world music.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
When you think about it....a music...in this case calypso....that has been here for more than a century...but not only that....but a music that has been around the world and back in popularity.....a music whose songs have been done and redone by artists all over but particularly in america and europe....it really is peculiar that calypso is just willy nilly thrown under the category of world music.
Its all down to us not generally showing love for this great music all year long but showing seasonal love.

It is very difficult to build a music industry based on a music that is treated by its own people in a seasonal manner so this is why the music was not given its due recognition and respect before now despite being around long before practically all the other modern music genres that we know of today.

trinifrombx

Its all down to us not generally showing love for this great music all year long but showing seasonal love.

It is very difficult to build a music industry based on a music that is treated by its own people in a seasonal manner so this is why the music was not given its due recognition and respect before now despite being around long before practically all the other modern music genres that we know of today.
Also, you forgot to add folks like you who love free mp3 files from artists and producers, this is also the root cause our ting sticking, they know W.I. Love free things.

I am proposing that artists who want to send a sample of their tunes to so call DJs, promoters, etc.
send out a 20 sec sound bite that so call mp3 tiefs....like Socapro can't pilfer the people ting and will force them to go and buy the tunes and put their" likes" to back it up with purchasing the song.

trinifrombx

I've been a member of Trinidad Tunes since 2008. However, more golden age soca should be made available for purchase online.
Thanks for posting this site, this is what happens when you have folks around here telling people they are a Socapro, they love culture, love free mp3 files, etc, yet they themselves don't even know about this site to post it for true fans like me and you who want to support the ting....so that we can put so money back in some of the artists pockets to inspire them to go out, find a real studio and a band and make better tracks.