Jamaican should be it's own language

JAMAICAN SHOULD BE THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF JAMAICA

• Most definitely

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I BOW DOWN to the MASSA

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Moqueca

I am NOT saying PATIOS intentionally because that is a TERM used BY the OPPRESSORS

TAWK YUH TAWK....

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Perhaps.

Agree that it certainly shouldn't be called "patois," particularly because generally speaking in the Caribbean, "patois" is another term for "kreyol."

Moqueca

Perhaps.

Agree that it certainly shouldn't be called "patois," particularly because generally speaking in the Caribbean, "patois" is another term for "kreyol."
ANOTHER TERM from the OPPRESSORS. WE NEED to get THESE TERMS OUT of our VOCABULARY.

YUHHHHHHH ZIMMMMMMIIIIIIIIii

SKBai1991

Jamaican already is it's own language, ask any actual linguist who studies language for a living and they'll tell you most Caribbean English-based "dialects" are really separate Creole languages.

And I agree that we should move away from the word Créole/Kréyol/Kwéyol simply because it isn't the name of a language, it simply describes how that language came about, and depending on the context it could mean different things to different people.

robblaten

I am NOT saying PATIOS intentionally because that is a TERM used BY the OPPRESSORS

TAWK YUH TAWK....
I used to think you Jamaicans had a national hangup holding you back in the world. Thank you for clearing up my uncertainty. Now I KNOW you Jamaicans have a national hangup holding you back in the world.

If we come back in 100 years you people will still be carrying on with the same ignorant victim-syndrome bullshite. You will probably also still be singing about killing gays while you complain about the "oppressor".

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
Good for the Jamaicans. I have been urging Haitians to start using "Haitian" rather than Kreyol for the longest.

Moqueca

What is the issue with the term kreyol?

Do you plan to stop speaking English (the oppressors' language)?

I speak less and less English as the years go by but since I am now in England I have to speak English until I return back home

Do you know the meaning of kreyol?

Moqueca

I used to think you Jamaicans had a national hangup holding you back in the world. Thank you for clearing up my uncertainty. Now I KNOW you Jamaicans have a national hangup holding you back in the world.

If we come back in 100 years you people will still be carrying on with the same ignorant victim-syndrome bullshite. You will probably also still be singing about killing gays while you complain about the "oppressor".
YOU ARE AN IMBECILE. You can NEVER FORGET the PAST. Also making FALSE STATEMENTS. WHICH JAMAICAN artist make SONGS about KILLING GAYS?

robblaten

YOU ARE AN IMBECILE. You can NEVER FORGET the PAST. Also making FALSE STATEMENTS. WHICH JAMAICAN artist make SONGS about KILLING GAYS?
Forget the past? People like you have absolutely no interest in the past, apart from using it to justify your self-pity. If you had a genuine interest in the past you would realise that you have no monopoly on cruelty, injustice and oppression, which is largely the story of human interaction across the ages. If the past genuinely interested you, you would learn its lessons and get on with life thankful of the benefits and advantages it has bestowed on you, LIKE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, which is one of our region's best inheritances as regards thriving in the 21st century. It is, after all, the closest thing to an international language of commerce and trade.

In answer to your silly question about which Jamaican artists sing about killing gays, where do I begin? Buju Banton, for one. Not to mention your PM stating he would fire a Minister for being gay.

What I find funny about you Jamaicans is your pride in being insular and self possessed, WHILE YOU ARE LIVING IN OTHER PEOPLE'S COUNTRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

dollbabi

Earth Angel
I speak less and less English as the years go by but since I am now in England I have to speak English until I return back home

Do you know the meaning of kreyol?
Interesting, especially as you life in the UK. So how much of the "oppressor's" ways do you plan on giving up? I only ask because Caribbean societies are in fact culturally mixed societies. So i am curious how far your efforts extend.

Definitely agree with the preservation of Jamaican and other languages within the region.

Yes, I know the meanings (there are more than one) of creole/kreyol.

SKBai1991

Forget the past? People like you have absolutely no interest in the past, apart from using it to justify your self-pity. If you had a genuine interest in the past you would realise that you have no monopoly on cruelty, injustice and oppression, which is largely the story of human interaction across the ages. If the past genuinely interested you, you would learn its lessons and get on with life thankful of the benefits and advantages it has bestowed on you, LIKE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, which is one of our region's best inheritances as regards thriving in the 21st century. It is, after all, the closest thing to an international language of commerce and trade.

In answer to your silly question about which Jamaican artists sing about killing gays, where do I begin? Buju Banton, for one. Not to mention your PM stating he would fire a Minister for being gay.

What I find funny about you Jamaicans is your pride in being insular and self possessed, WHILE YOU ARE LIVING IN OTHER PEOPLE'S COUNTRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
A Dunce comment dat. Never understood West Indian's attachment to their coloniser's language when it hasn't done much for them in any meaningful way.

Speaking English gives you an advantage in doing commerce with English speaking people, but ONLY IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO TRADE, and to be blunt, most Caribbean nations don't have much to offer in terms of exports or natural resources. There are a shit-ton of English speaking nations living in absolute poverty, and a wealth of non-English speaking nations that are doing just fine. Speaking English hasn't helped the Caribbean region in any meaningful way whatsoever, if you have goods and commodities to export, a well educated and skilled population and a productive labour force you will do well economically regardless of what language you speak.

As for being insular and self-possessed, this is not unique to Jamaicans in any way. MOST Anglophone people for the most part are insular and self-posessed, don't like to learn new languages and have little interest in assimilating into the cultures of where they live. Out of all the expats I've met in my life, British and Americans are by far the worst.

Missmayling

TAWK YUH TAWK....
Jamaica is a melting pot of cultures, so not only would you have to change the name
" patois" but remove all non African words from the language.

A.K.K.S.

I was making this argument for years. For places like Jamaica and Haiti it is very possible for their co-offical languages to be called Jamaican and Ayitien.

But my country is too ethnically and linguistically diverse to now refer to Belizean Kriol simply as "Belizean", even though most can speak it.

Missmayling

I was making this argument for years. For places like Jamaica and Haiti it is very possible for their co-offical languages to be called Jamaican and Ayitien.

But my country is too ethnically and linguistically diverse to now refer to Belizean Kriol simply as "Belizean", even though most can speak it.
But "Jamaican" is not even an African word, so what is the point??