'KKK leader' vows mass rally

bhalistix

It is I
The renaming of three Confederate-themed parks in Memphis has spurred foes — including a purported Ku Klux Klan leader known as the “Exalted Cyclops” — to lash out against what they say are attempts to erase history. Others, however, maintain such symbols and monuments represent racism and have to go.

The Memphis City Council, fearful of intervention by state legislators, voted late Tuesday to approve changing the name of Forrest Park to Health Sciences Park. Confederate Park became Memphis Park and and Jefferson Davis Park, named for the president of the Confederacy, was renamed Mississippi River Park.
Advertise | AdChoices

The vote was 9-0 – seven African-American council members and two white council members voted for the changes -- with three council members abstaining and one council member absent.

Forrest Park for years has stirred up emotions. It contains the grave of Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Confederate cavalry leader who traded slaves before the war and went on to become the first grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, the infamous hate group that carried out a merciless campaign of lynchings, church fires and other terror against African Americans as well as other immigrant groups.

During the war, troops under Forrest's command notoriously were accused of slaughtering Federal black troops after the Battle of Fort Pillow. The "Fort Pillow Massacre" became a rallying cry for the Union, according to historians.

“The parks are changed. It's done," Councilman Lee Harris, told The Commercial Appeal. "We removed controversial names and named them something that is less controversial."

Harris told Reuters, “We are becoming a city that is inclusive and respectful … Those names were dividing rather than uniting."

Formerly known as Confederate Park in downtown Memphis, Tenn., this downtown park will now be called Memphis Park. Two other Confederate-themed parks were also renamed by the Memphis City Council.

Memphis is just over 63 percent African-American, according to 2010 U.S. Census figures.

read more

Lucianite

So are y'all saying that the park names should not be changed because its "history."?

Is renaming the park erasing "history" ?

bhalistix

It is I
So are y'all saying that the park names should not be changed because its "history."?

Is renaming the park erasing "history" ?
well in a sense.

think of it this was you go to a park call Mississippi State park you would just accept it, on face value, oh the park was named after the river that runs through it, you to a park name Jefferson Davis Park, it just might peek your curiosity to find out who the hell JD was.

This need in the us to delete everything related to the confederacy is an all out assault on history. It is a dark part in American history yes but it is still history.

Lucianite

well in a sense.

think of it this was you go to a park call Mississippi State park you would just accept it, on face value, oh the park was named after the river that runs through it, you to a park name Jefferson Davis Park, it just might peek your curiosity to find out who the hell JD was.

This need in the us to delete everything related to the confederacy is an all out assault on history. It is a dark part in American history yes but it is still history.
Parks and dem things are named after "heroes". Things we like not things we abhor or that are offensive. Changing the parks name will be part it's history and so is will not be erased.....

But I hear what u sayin ...... It works the other too what if 200 yrs form now a person decide that mlk jr was a bad guy and erase his monument.... So hmmm.

Closer to me

Columbus sq in Castries was changed to Derek Walcott and I heard that Walcott said something to the effect that will the park be changed when someone else comes along ...... .

bhalistix

It is I
Parks and dem things are named after "heroes". Things we like not things we abhor or that are offensive. Changing the parks name will be part it's history and so is will not be erased.....

But I hear what u sayin ...... It works the other too what if 200 yrs form now a person decide that mlk jr was a bad guy and erase his monument.... So hmmm.

Closer to me

Columbus sq in Castries was changed to Derek Walcott and I heard that Walcott said something to the effect that will the park be changed when someone else comes along ...... .
sound argument

if the only criteria for naming parks and building was that it not be abhor or offensive i am afraid there would be no names for building. The country is we statue, and monuments erecting in honor of great man whose contribution to history was the of war and murder.

antiguad

well in a sense.

No it is not.

Renaming a place is NOT deleting or erasing "history". It's not an assault on "history" The place was named after a person, but changed. This happens quite frequently, just that people are raising a stink because the KKK has an issue with it