Lynn Taitt - The Trini who created Jamaican Rocksteady

Georgeflash

Who feels it knows it!
are u disrespecting Lynn Taitt? then u disrespect Rocksteady and Reggae and a large part of Jamaican music.
For christ sake man. Remove this "created" business before some uninformed person catches wind of it and it starts inoculating popular culture.

Trinidadians create nothing.

For christ sake man. Remove this "created" business before some uninformed person catches wind of it and it starts inoculating popular culture.

Trinidadians create nothing.
yep we created Extempo, Limbo, Calypso, Soca, Chutney, Steelpan, tamboo bamboo and Rocksteady LOL

what would u Yardies do without Trinis?

MANISHWATERS

The truth is the truth and some people doh like or cant take truth and facts.
Lynn Taitt Trinidadian born is credited as having created the first rocksteady baselines on the tune Take It Easy by Hopton Lewis. Had this argument in a rum shop few years back with some jamaicans and they wanted to crucify me in there. Lynn Taitt also did work with the likes of Alton Ellis,Johnny Nash,Bob Marley,Ken Boothe,Derick Morgan and Lee Scratch Perry.

Inquistive

Lynn Taitt Trinidadian born is credited as having created the first rocksteady baselines on the tune Take It Easy by Hopton Lewis. Had this argument in a rum shop few years back with some jamaicans and they wanted to crucify me in there. Lynn Taitt also did work with the likes of Alton Ellis,Johnny Nash,Bob Marley,Ken Boothe,Derick Morgan and Lee Scratch Perry.
I guess Trinis invented Mento also.

:kicks:kicks

Leff we music alone.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
He did not do it all by himself but he was one of the main players behind the development of rock steady!

A lot of top Trinidadian calypsonians and musicians went to Jamaica for work and to spread their wings during the Federation Days 1959-1961 before it crashed. Many never returned and stayed in Jamaica and made important contributions in development of the music scene there.

Here is a list of important non-Jamaicans who should be credited for their vital contributions in the development of rock steady which led to the birth of reggae music.

Lord Creator (born Kentrick Patrick) circa 1940, San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago (calypso, ska artist and rock steady artist).
Fellow Trinidadians Lynn Taitt, Lord Bryner, Lord Laro were also important and positive 'outside' influences during the early development of the Jamaican music scene.
Also Cuban born Rolando Alphonso and Barbadian Jackie Opel.

Here are three famous songs from Lord Creator that we should all know.

Lord Creator - Remember When (1962: Calypso)
<iframe width="640" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X7c8s3ea634" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lord Creator - Don't Stay Out Late (1962: Ska)
<iframe width="640" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oq2kIAJEIpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lord Creator - Kingston Town (1970: Rock Steady)
<iframe width="640" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GvDZ8U-7A1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Reminds me of how some Puerto Ricans like to claim Salsa.

lol
all the silly bantering aside, its not even bout claiming n e ting...its about the lack of credit to a man, or the lack of popularizing the input of a man, probably because of his nationality

and no one is saying that

Reggae/Rocksteady is not Jamaican music.

Last edited:

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
This chred is sacrilege.
I rebuke all of unnuh.
Come on George, Lynn Taitt did not create rock steady all by himself but he was one of the main players. Read my post above.

No one is trying to claim mento, ska, rock steady, reggae, rockers or dancehall; those all belong to and were developed in Jamaica.

However the outsiders from the other islands who made very important contributed should be given their due credit and recognition.

Respeck :drinks:

Last edited:
Come on George, Lord Creator did not create rock steady all by himself but he was one of the main players. Read my post above.

No one is trying to claim mento, ska, rock steady, reggae, rockers or dancehall; those all belong to and were developed in Jamaica.

However the outsiders from the other islands who made very important contributed should be given their due recognition.

Respeck :drinks:
I feel like many people argue the genesis of Soca but no one touches on Reggae and the lack of development of the origins of this genre too.

just like Soca had outside input but was stamped in Trinidad, same with Rocksteady/Reggae in Jamaica.

As Caribbean people, we like to act insular like we have never been influenced by outsider islands but as we see thats far from the truth.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
I feel like many people argue the genesis of Soca but no one touches on Reggae and the lack of development of the origins of this genre too.

just like Soca had outside input but was stamped in Trinidad, same with Rocksteady/Reggae in Jamaica.

As Caribbean people, we like to act insular like we have never been influenced by outsider islands but as we see thats far from the truth.
That's true!

Btw I typed Lord Creator's name rather than Lynn Taitt's name by error in last post but have corrected it now.

really! what was there arguments to debunk Lynn Taitt's contribution?

did they even know who he was?