Mariah Carey Plays a Field Slave in an Upcoming movie

TheEducator

REALLY?: Mariah Carey Plays a Field Slave Named Hattie Pearl in ‘The Butler’
“The Butler” tells the story Eugene Allen, a longtime White House service worker starring Forest Whitaker.

In addition to Whitaker playing the lead role, the highly anticipated production’s cast also includes high profile names like Oprah Winfrey, Jane Fonda, John Cusack, Robin Williams, Cuba Gooding Jr., Alan Rickman and Terrence Howard, among others.

Daniels has cast music stars in his other films. If you recall, “Precious” featured both Lenny Kravitz and Carey in supporting roles, which were the complete opposite of their off-screen personas.

Carey is teaming up with Daniels again for “The Butler”, in a part that is against type to say the least.

As you can see from the photo above, which recently surfaced, Mariah Carey plays what appears to be the role of a slave named Hattie Pearl in the film.

According to IMDB, “The Butler” is scheduled to be released on August 16, 2013.

What do you think? Is Mariah Carey believable as a slave?

You can't make this shit up people.

antiguad

Mariah would have been one of those people passing as full white.
There were lots of mixed slaves.

If you were white, it wouldn't matter what you could be "passed off" as. If you were the child of a slave, then most likely you'd be a slave to...unless the father "generously" decided to free you.

dedetriniking

she might have been a slave or even passed for white....she certainly would not have been picking cotton in the fields.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
What's the big deal? It was common for mixed women to be in the house but that doesnt mean that every single one was...

Mr Mercy

Banned
Is Mariah Cary a mixed woman or a white woman? She looks like a white woman to me.

If she is a white woman then she is not best option to act the role of a field slave

Wadadlineko

Offspring(mulattos) of slavemasters never worked the fields.
Really? That's news to me. Just cause couple mulattoes were in the house that doesn't mean that all of them were in the house working. I mean if I have a plantation with 50 mulattoes or quadroons or whatever I doubt I would keep all of them in the house. Especially if plenty work to do in the field. So it is not impossible.

LIONESS onda RISE

There are many misconceptions...one being light skin slaves were always house slaves.. Lol!!!WRONG!!! There were many reasons why a light skin slave would be outside..behavior or deformality even age are just a few

Also.. U had many households that didnt have ANY house slaves...had all white service ppl.. Lol and left all slaves... Light and dark to the fields.

Inquistive

And only the slavemaster could b the father? Lol!!!

Either way.. That's not true information. Many a Massa could not care less and deem the child of slave to be just that... Slave.
Really? That's news to me. Just cause couple mulattoes were in the house that doesn't mean that all of them were in the house working. I mean if I have a plantation with 50 mulattoes or quadroons or whatever I doubt I would keep all of them in the house. Especially if plenty work to do in the field. So it is not impossible.
The lighter the slave, the more preferential treatment was giving. This is why light skinned people are often referred to as "house negros".

Wadadlineko

Was it Thomas Jefferson the one that had the slave Sally Hemmings? In the movie I saw a time the man had nearly a whole plantation of mulattoes, quadroons and octoroons. I think sally was an octoroon. And from what I saw in the movie she got whipped the same way as the other black people and she and the other white looking black people were out in the fields the same way at some point. The point is massah nah go keep ebry body in his house only the favourites. The rest one and dem going to have to work outside.

Wadadlineko

The lighter the slave, the more preferential treatment was giving. This is why light skinned people are often referred to as "house negros".
I wouldn't really call it preferential treatment. I think they were not treated as badly if you understand where I am coming from. I mean sure some of them don't have to work in the field and sure some get to live in the house. But is that so great? I am sure they had to work just as hard in the house and the women had to jolly well spread there legs whether they like it or not. I sure the young children also had to follow suit as well. So I wouldn't really call it preferential treatment. To the slave outside looking in they might say say "wow they have it good" while to the slave looking outside they might be thinking "wow they have it easy". You never know. I mean if I in the house but getting raped all the time then I wouldn't consider that preferential treatment now would I.

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
some of yall just take history from other ppl in broad absolute strokes much like Arawaks peaceful, Caribs warlike
Really?