Mixed hair Question

Poca

The daughter I will be getting is mixed black and white. Apparently she is on the darker side and from the feedback I got her hair seems to be quite challenging. She is now with a white family and they bring her to a hairdresser to get her hair done.

So I have zero experience with mixed type of hair and I would like to have some Do's and Don'ts regarding her hair. I would also would like if people could review some of the products they used and recommend.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Mixed hair differs. Pictures of similar hair types would like be helpful, but you may want to check out the Mixed Chicks hair line and the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey. There's a section in the book just for children too.

It may just be that her white family is not very educated regarding hair care. One reason i say that is because i'm not sure why her being darker is even related to her hair as there are darker mixes with curly/wavy hair and light mixes with extremely kinky hair and vice versa. It sounds like they just may not be as exposed. I think you'll be fine.

LIONESS onda RISE

The daughter I will be getting is mixed black and white. Apparently she is on the darker side and from the feedback I got her hair seems to be quite challenging. She is now with a white family and they bring her to a hairdresser to get her hair done.

So I have zero experience with mixed type of hair and I would like to have some Do's and Don'ts regarding her hair. I would also would like if people could review some of the products they used and recommend.
if she is with a white family, den they are challenged becuase they dont know how to handle black hair..you will be fine!

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
I agree with db, if you could show pictures of a similar hair texture it might help. Also what do you use on your daughter's hair? Is her hair in locs as well?

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
first thing you need to do is make sure that her hair is moisturized...

wait, question. do you take care of your own daughter's hair? and is your daughter's hair texture much kinkier than this girl's? cos if you can manage your daughter's hair, then you should be fine with hers..

when you wash her hair, make sure to either use some sort of leave in conditioner or plain and simple ole grease/hair pomade that will keep her hair moisturized and not dry... try to avoid putting her hair in those little puffs that people like to comb girl chirren hair in.. and if you do, keep the time the hair is open to the elements to a minimum.. always braid up the hair and tie it at night to avoid unnecessary tangling..

if her hair is springy enough you can use just a simple comb and do curls, twisting the comb through the hair to form curls that work with the natural hair pattern... but try to tie them or remove them at night..

when you shampoo her hair, try to use detangling shampoo and conditioner and when conditioning the hair, comb it out then so when you rinse its easier to work through, and then towel dry and comb and style after..

as for products.. it really depends on her hair and her skin, cos what some folks can use she might be allergic to etc... so trial and error..

Poca

Hmm... Since I haven't seen her yet, I don't know what type of hair she has. So Monday afternoon I'll be able to have a much better idea.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
because you say mixed hair.. instead of saying "curly black hair" possibly? i dunno.. you have to ask the folk with the issue..

Poca

Maybe people must remember that I do not live in the states where everything is either black or white. The kid has a white mother and black father and her hair is obviously not like mine and not even like my daughter's hair ( whose father's granny is Indian).

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Maybe people must remember that I do not live in the states where everything is either black or white. The kid has a white mother and black father and her hair is obviously not like mine and not even like my daughter's hair ( whose father's granny is Indian).
It's really not a big deal. I think most of us understood that yiu meant that her hair isn't extremely kinky nor straight.