Mother beat child for reporting sexual abuse, gets jail time

EloquenceInc

Get your passport & come !
Mother jailed for failing to report sexual abuse of her nine-year-old daugther
By CMC - Wednesday, June 27th, 2012.
Article Hits: 20
No Comments

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Jun 27, CMC – A magistrate has jailed a 50-year-old mother to nine months in jail after she failed to report to the police that her nine-year-old daughter was being sexually abused in her home.

The incident occurred in 2003 and in passing sentence, Magistrate Alicia Chankar told the woman, whose name was not released, that “a mother serves as a protector.
“As parents we have a duty to care for a child, not only in the embryonic stage,” she said, adding “(The victim) purged herself of deep, dirty secrets of her childhood. She turned to her mother for solace and instead she was chastised emotionally and physically.
“There seems, in this household, to be a history of turning the other way and placing blame where blame is not warranted instead of listening, consoling and counselling the child … As a young woman, she has to learn to heal from within. Coming to court is the beginning for her to heal,” she said.
The unidentified girl, now 18 years old, took the stand during the trial at the San Fernando Fourth Court, south of here, and testified that she was beaten when she told her mother of the sexual abuse.

The mother of three was charged under Section 31 of the Sexual Offences Act that states “any person who is the parent or guardian of a minor, has the actual custody, charge or control of a minor, has the temporary custody, care, charge or control of a minor for a special purpose, as his attendant, employer or teacher or in any other capacity or is a medical practitioner or a registered nurse or midwife and has performed a medical examination in respect of a minor, and who has reasonable grounds for believing that a sexual offence has been committed … shall report the grounds for his belief to a police officer as soon as reasonably practicable”.

A person who fails to do so is liable to a TT$15,000 (US$2, 500) fine or to seven years in prison or to both fine and imprisonment.
At her first court appearance in October last year, the woman, a gardener, pleaded not guilty to the offence.
Magistrate Chankar called for help from the authorities for children who have to testify before the court.
“What we need, as in the United States, are advocates of the child. They need to be here to counsel the child when they come to court and face this whole settling. I do not think it is user-friendly,” she added
smh

So, mother beat her...was it the father who did it? If not where WAS the father?

So sad...

Side note, they really think child advocates in America getting much done to stop child abuse? By time they come on the scene damage already done. lol at them thinking America doing something better than them. I don't even come across articles of any child molesters getting jail time here...sex offender registry is the closest i see and that's for people out and about, and hardly anyone knows their state's registry weblink...

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
i think they mean that the children are prepared by the advocates for their appearance in court and what to expect... as opposed to going in blind... and lots of people get put away for child abuse... once it is reported, investigated and determined to be true...

str8_talk

Devine
reading these type of stories makes me really sick to my stomach... firstly who would molest an 8 yr old child.. that is just sick beyon reason.. second.. the MOTHER... gosh why are u soo mean and heartless.. why would u hit ur child for actually confiding in u that she is being abused.. where is the love and the trust.. smh
it just makes me sick

and its true.. the way the Govt treats child molesters/abusers is really something to think about. hmm

Poca

I think you are wrong for thinking that. There is a lot being done in the states when it comes to child abuse. As a matter of fact they give stronger and longer sentences than Canada.

smh

So, mother beat her...was it the father who did it? If not where WAS the father?

So sad...

Side note, they really think child advocates in America getting much done to stop child abuse? By time they come on the scene damage already done. lol at them thinking America doing something better than them. I don't even come across articles of any child molesters getting jail time here...sex offender registry is the closest i see and that's for people out and about, and hardly anyone knows their state's registry weblink...

EloquenceInc

I think you are wrong for thinking that. There is a lot being done in the states when it comes to child abuse. As a matter of fact they give stronger and longer sentences than Canada.
If they actually find anyone guilty. That's the point.

Most child molesters are never caught cause there is no evidence to catch them with the police want the victims to do all the work themselves and come in with a confession giftwrapped and bowtied...

The law is very long on legalities and very restricted on how it can be enforced.

Not to mention people with pedophile mentals generally cannot be rehabilitated they just need to not have children or anyone significantly younger than them around them, period...they could reach 100 years old their brain will still function the same.

Child advocates and guardian ad litems don't help the action NOT happen here...they are still only there after it done happen, and reach court. MOST happen and never get reported to authorities because family and non-legal authorities did nothing or blamed the victim like this mother did. The ones that get reported nuff never get convicted cause there is no try-able evidence like a confession.

So looking at the minor few that get handled in court and saying they are doing such a great job...good luck with that.

T

T-MAKAA

I hardly hear about molestors going to jail to be honest.. Maybe we should be posting stories like that more instead of sad news all the time.

Poca

You still can't compare the state of children's protection rights and laws to the ones from the Caribbean. Yes, there is still a lit if improvement to be made but at least their is an effective enough system in place to deal with child abuse. And most importantly, here the general public does understands and agrees that children have rights and should be protected.

LIONESS onda RISE

smh

the child advocates are not suppsed to STOP child abuse..(they teach prevention methods and things parents can do to protect thier own) but when someting happens, they are supposed to help counsel and prepare the child for thier day in court ..

that last para of the article you posted is speaking in terms of helping the child when they come to court, so i dont get what you tryna say when you come liket his.."Side note, they really think child advocates in America getting much done to stop child abuse? By time they come on the scene damage already done. lol at them thinking America doing something better than them"..im kinda like :confused:
i think they mean that the children are prepared by the advocates for their appearance in court and what to expect... as opposed to going in blind... and lots of people get put away for child abuse... once it is reported, investigated and determined to be true...
and i think you missed this point above.

and America (to my knowlege) is one country of a few who has a sex offenders registty...the only country with a sex offenders registry that allows ppl to check via internet...giving you an opportunity to see whats going on in your community..i would say thats a good thing

EloquenceInc

You still can't compare the state of children's protection rights and laws to the ones from the Caribbean. Yes, there is still a lit if improvement to be made but at least their is an effective enough system in place to deal with child abuse. And most importantly, here the general public does understands and agrees that children have rights and should be protected.
I don't know that you generalizing the Caribbean is correct. Jamaica has laws to protect children.

And nowhere are we more alert to the need to protect girl children especially from men outside and inside than Jamaica...it comes down to whether the parents are part of the problem or not as to whether that happens. (Protecting boy children against men and especially against women sucks and is virtually nonexistent everywhere, U.S. included...which is why the Sandusky ruling is a landmark case cause millions of other voices have not been heard)

What is bad in the Caribbean is nobody the victim knows personally talks about it. Nobody. Up here the issue is still seen as a dirty family secrets type of thing but it gets air, if is even to buy the listening ear in the form of the therapist, and at least with that there comes resolution. In Jamaica and likely the rest of the Caribbean, mental health concerns and resolutions are still in the Jurassic period.

It hard hard hard for molestation/incest to come out in conversation. And it generally get mentioned one time and never again.

EloquenceInc

the child advocates are not suppsed to STOP child abuse..(they teach prevention methods and things parents can do to protect thier own) but when someting happens, they are supposed to help counsel and prepare the child for thier day in court ..

that last para of the article you posted is speaking in terms of helping the child when they come to court, so i dont get what you tryna say when you come liket his.."Side note, they really think child advocates in America getting much done to stop child abuse? By time they come on the scene damage already done. lol at them thinking America doing something better than them"..im kinda like :confused:

and i think you missed this point above.

and America (to my knowlege) is one country of a few who has a sex offenders registty...the only country with a sex offenders registry that allows ppl to check via internet...giving you an opportunity to see whats going on in your community..i would say thats a good thing
the judge is making it sound like justice isn't happening for children in her country because her country don't have child advocates. That have nothing to do with it, the child advocate still is not involved UNTIL THE MATTER REACH COURT and that's my point, is not the lack of them that preventing justice is the lack of the parents doing their proper jobs by their child AND the lack of the cases even reaching court! American whatever cannot help Trinidad with that it's an internal problem that 1 million child advocates on staff AT COURT will not change!

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
I don't know that you generalizing the Caribbean is correct. Jamaica has laws to protect children.

And nowhere are we more alert to the need to protect girl children especially from men outside and inside than Jamaica...it comes down to whether the parents are part of the problem or not as to whether that happens. (Protecting boy children against men and especially against women sucks and is virtually nonexistent everywhere, U.S. included...which is why the Sandusky ruling is a landmark case cause millions of other voices have not been heard)

What is bad in the Caribbean is nobody the victim knows personally talks about it. Nobody. Up here the issue is still seen as a dirty family secrets type of thing but it gets air, if is even to buy the listening ear in the form of the therapist, and at least with that there comes resolution. In Jamaica and likely the rest of the Caribbean, mental health concerns and resolutions are still in the Jurassic period.

It hard hard hard for molestation/incest to come out in conversation. And it generally get mentioned one time and never again.
how exactly is a child advocate supposed to do what many times, the child's own parents, and relatives can't do.. STOP THE CHILD ABUSE... this is STILL a taboo subject all over the world .. and must be handled delicately to make sure children dont feel that they are betraying the person who abused them and alsot hat they have the support of those they tell... there is a veil of secrecy that falls over child abuse...

and in jamaica it aint no different from any other caribbean country.. i know nuff people , male and female, who tell me that people try touch dem when dem was pickney... the males especially had a hard time dealing with taht kinda stuff... not everybody falls prey to child abuse but it is not something that never happens or happens once every blue moon...

the judge is making it sound like justice isn't happening for children in her country because her country don't have child advocates. That have nothing to do with it, the child advocate still is not involved UNTIL THE MATTER REACH COURT and that's my point, is not the lack of them that preventing justice is the lack of the parents doing their proper jobs by their child AND the lack of the cases even reaching court! American whatever cannot help Trinidad with that it's an internal problem that 1 million child advocates on staff AT COURT will not change!
the judge was simply stating that the children are unprepared to come to court and that their should be people to help them go through teh process from police report to in front the magistrates bench....

the only thing that will help child abuse is for parents and friends and relatives to keep an eye on children and pay attention to patterns and anything that changes.. often times it is something so little that if you not paying attention, you wouldnt notice... Pay attention to your children, you are their FIRST advocate!

TOLOMB

Red Man
Although I don't really believe in that "Justice System" thing (unless its reciprocal), I'm happy to see the T&T system make an awareness statement with this case. Statue of Limitations my a$$ fuh them kinda a people dem!!!! One day we all might get it right.

EloquenceInc

a lot of the times family cover the ting up.
that's exactly why i'm saying an army of child advocates will never be what tnt needs to improve the state of things...

Comedian Monique said her brother sexually molested her...you think that man reach jail yet?

It makes people's skin crawl and makes them morbidly fascinated nobody wants to go near the dark side...

LIONESS onda RISE

that's exactly why i'm saying an army of child advocates will never be what tnt needs to improve the state of things...

Comedian Monique said her brother sexually molested her...you think that man reach jail yet?

It makes people's skin crawl and makes them morbidly fascinated nobody wants to go near the dark side...
Those child advocates would make a WORLD of difference to the child/victim. That in itself would be a huge improvement to what they have now..